English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 21 February 2020, 11:29   #1
CFou!

Gotcha & Chinese Karate (looking for original for WHDLOAD's patch

Hi guys,

I am looking for original disk image of:
- Gotcha (1991 Prestige) (patch finished but original needed to do files extractor)
- Chinese Karate

for WHDLoad patch.

would anyone have any of the disks or images?

best regards,

Betrand/CFou!
Old 21 February 2020, 20:26   #2
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

@Bertrand
Find Chinese Karate in the Zone in WWP format. Happy patching!
I've also upped an extended ADF for others here who might be interested in this NDOS original, as a standard ADF disk image of the game is not possible.

Unfortunately, I don't have Gotcha by Prestige (I just have the Kingsoft game by the same name) or LodeRunner (which you asked me about in PM). I think getting originals of both of those games will be nearly impossible, as I've never seen either of them being sold online or on Ebay in the 25 years of buying Amiga games online.

There is always some hope of these games turning up, though....I managed to track down an original copy of Bone Cruncher before Christmas (), which was one of only two original copies I've ever seen sold online for the Amiga. Never say never!

EDIT: I see that the WHDLoad patch for Gotcha (Prestige) has just been uploaded. Did you manage to find someone with an original copy of the game??!!

Last edited by DrBong; 21 February 2020 at 20:57. Reason: Fixed typo + added EDIT!
Old 21 February 2020, 23:45   #3
CFou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong View Post
@Bertrand
I've also upped an extended ADF for others here who might be interested in this NDOS original, as a standard ADF disk image of the game is not possible.

Unfortunately, I don't have Gotcha by Prestige (I just have the Kingsoft game by the same name) or LodeRunner (which you asked me about in PM). I think getting originals of both of those games will be nearly impossible, as I've never seen either of them being sold online or on Ebay in the 25 years of buying Amiga games online.

There is always some hope of these games turning up, though....I managed to track down an original copy of Bone Cruncher before Christmas (), which was one of only two original copies I've ever seen sold online for the Amiga. Never say never!

EDIT: I see that the WHDLoad patch for Gotcha (Prestige) has just been uploaded. Did you manage to find someone with an original copy of the game??!!
thank For Chinese Karate

for Gotcha .
Game use same file format and cruncher than BCKid.

I use no modifyed files of cracked version ('code' file was not modified and all packed will was not changed too!

Only First picture was modified (a good RNC version provided with package but can removed).

So Slave use already extracted files and will work without modification with original version.

But original is needed to do RAWDic imager for extraction....

So i hope whdload's user with try whdload's installer with original disk version and make a bug report.

perhaps with this way, original caught be finaly preserved....
ps: see in the sone for installed version

Last edited by CFou!; 22 February 2020 at 02:03.
Old 22 February 2020, 00:56   #4
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
@Bertrand

Hi Carlo, can you make a CTraw file of Chinese Karate ? Thanks !
Old 22 February 2020, 09:56   #5
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

@Denis
I knew you would ask, so it's in the queue for dumping! I've been saving up raw dumps since Christmas to send to you in email.....but I've been too busy/lazy to send much personal email, as I've been hammered with work emails/text messages since early January this year and had to cut my month's holidays by a couple of weeks to return to work for myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFOU! View Post
thank For Chinese Karate

for Gotcha .
Game use same file format and cruncher than BCKid.

So Slave use already extracted files and will work without modification with original version.

But original is needed to do RAWDic imager for extraction....

So i hope whdload's user with try whdload's installer with original disk version and make a bug report.

perhaps with this way, original caught be finaly preserved....
No problems about Chinese Karate!

For Gotcha, I guessed you might've created a slave/installer without an original if you were able to recognise the file format/compression from another game. So the RawDIC imaging for the patch is "experimental" then, and you are hoping that someone with an original will report back whether it works or not?!

Hmmm, you could be waiting a while unless someone like Tweeky, Olli K. (Cebulba), Andreas Falkenhahn (softwarefailure) or Christian Sauer (ville9 ; see HERE for contacting him besides PM) has an original copy. Try contacting these guys via PM/email etc. if you haven't tried already. I will continue to search for Gotcha regardless along with many other Amiga games that are yet to be scanned/preserved etc. for HOL/SPS/EAB.

Last edited by DrBong; 22 February 2020 at 10:04. Reason: Fixed sentence!
Old 22 February 2020, 12:53   #6
Don_Adan

Quote:
Hi guys,

I am looking for original disk image of:
- Gotcha (1991 Prestige) (patch finished but original needed to do files extractor)
- Chinese Karate

for WHDLoad patch.

would anyone have any of the disks or images?

best regards,

Betrand/CFou!
Seems that Gotcha was unpublished/unreleased game. No review in Amiga magazines. If you want original version you can try to contact with game author Nils Meier or Skid Row supplier (Sub Zero?).
Old 22 February 2020, 13:14   #7
CFou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Adan View Post
Seems that Gotcha was unpublished/unreleased game. No review in Amiga magazines. If you want original version you can try to contact with game author Nils Meier or Skid Row supplier (Sub Zero?).
Have you email account to contact Nils Meier or skis row?
Old 22 February 2020, 13:22   #8
CFou!

Have you working Winuae configuration with extended adf of Chinese karate?
All tested freeze reading track 49.0 after to have correctly read 2 tracks (48.0 48.1)
Old 22 February 2020, 13:57   #9
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Thanks ProfBong; though I can't get this to work... just stops loading at track 49

Edit: oops, I wrote my reply before reading the full thread... seems CFOU! has mentioned that same thing.
Old 22 February 2020, 14:24   #10
Don_Adan

Quote:
No, i dont have Nils Meier email. For Skid Row contact, you can ask here, i think.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=82401

And maybe it can be promotional game or attached to german magazine?
Old 22 February 2020, 14:57   #11
CFou!

@DrBong

HAve you possibility to done another WWP file?

it seems data of track 99 are damaged

checksum error booting on A500 configuration (wis adf extended of course)
and same checksum using my beta rawdic imager (using adf or wwp)for main game code file (start at track 96)....

PS: can you send to Denis (SPS) raw dump file ?

Last edited by CFou!; 22 February 2020 at 23:06.
Old 22 February 2020, 15:50   #12
CFou!

if i remove chksum control in first loader. Game can be launch but....

i have again another checksum error in second game loader at track 10

Old 22 February 2020, 21:19   #13
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Floppy disk

Quote:
Sven Meier who worked on the game has some email details on an old website HERE. Just replace the first part of the email address on that webpage with "Nils" to try and contact his twin brother Nils Meier via email.

Quote:
Have you working Winuae configuration with extended adf of Chinese karate?
All tested freeze reading track 49.0 after to have correctly read 2 tracks (48.0 48.1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Thanks ProfBong; though I can't get this to work... just stops loading at track 49
Quote:
@DrBong

Have you possibility to done another WWP file?

it seems data of track 99 are damaged

checksum error booting on A500 configuration (wis adf extended of course)
and same checksum using my beta rawdic imager (using adf or wwp)for main game code file (start at track 98)....
Sorry guys - I forgot to mention that the extended ADF needs to be tested as I don't emulate. In any case, my Chinese Karate game disk is a little temperamental and doesn't like any old Amiga floppy drive it seems....so I made a fresh WWarp image and extended ADF on my rock solid Power XL floppy drive. In the Zone.

No errors were reported in the WWarp imaging - I kept watch on the track log output when it was reading the disk. A few tracks had to be retried 3-4 times, though, so the disk isn't perfect....which isn't surprising given its age, I guess.

The game disk boots without any problem on my A500/KS1.3/1MB machine, in any case. I played a couple quick games with a bum joystick and got to the 2nd and 3rd opponents....and there weren't any problems with the multiload disk accesses up to that point with those opponents.

Quote:
PS: can you send to Denis (SPS) raw dump file ?
Will do when I manage to get my bloody zip drive to play ball again with my A1200, so I can transfer it over to the PC! Hopefully, the WWarp image and extended ADF will do the job for now!!

EDIT:
Just managed to get my zip drive working with my A1200 again (for how flippin' long, who knows! )....so the raw dump is in the Zone for Denis and whoever else is interested.

@Denis
My PM inbox is full, so please email me when you have analysed my raw dump of Chinese Karate! OK, it's after 5am here....so it's g'nite all!!

Last edited by DrBong; 22 February 2020 at 22:25. Reason: Added to post!
Old 22 February 2020, 22:24   #14
CFou!

Quote:
Sven Meier .

No errors were reported in the WWarp imaging - I kept watch on the track log output when it was reading the disk. A few tracks had to be retried 3-4 times, though, so the disk isn't perfect....which isn't surprising given its age, I guess.
thanks i will try..
for information Wwarp do not verify integrity of disk

if disk is bad or dirty i can image it via WWARP without display error mesage
but data will be bad...
Old 22 February 2020, 22:33   #15
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
thanks i will try..

but data will be bad...
Problem with track 81 with wwp file

EDIT: DrBong... empty PM
Old 22 February 2020, 23:29   #16
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
thanks i will try..

but data will be bad...
Ok, i got it now

Track 0 is AmigaDOS, Track 1 to 79 is in the Vindex track format, and track 80 is the protection track, sized $1A00.

The CTraw file is working, there is no errors on it.

Last edited by dlfrsilver; 22 February 2020 at 23:40.
Old 22 February 2020, 23:45   #17
CFou!

@DrBong

can you test attached imager with your physical original disk not with ADF/IPF/WWP/MFM files?
Attached Files
File Type: lha ChineseKarate-imagerBETA.lha (1.2 KB, 67 views)
Old 22 February 2020, 23:47   #18
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Track 1 to 79 is in the Vindex track format

Which is no surprise as both games were coded by the same coder. And in both games he tried to disguise the protection routine and failed miserably.
Old 22 February 2020, 23:59   #19
CFou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
Which is no surprise as both games were coded by the same coder. And in both games he tried to disguise the protection routine and failed miserably.
but it is easier to remove a protection than in creating a good one.
Besides, the goal was not to prevent piracy, it is impossible (no code is inviolable) but to delay the distribution of cracked copies.
Old 23 February 2020, 00:16   #20
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
ahaha lol ! Yes Thomas Engel, Karate v1.0