English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 03 September 2021, 23:36   #141
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby_UK View Post
Got this message (See Grab):
This is common for running many games that try to figure out the system speed in DOSBOX, it doesn't matter, I got the same message as well. Run some benchmark program and on one launch it might say a 400MHz 286 or some thing, just ignore it, it doesn't prevent the installation or running of the game.
Old 04 September 2021, 12:29   #142
Seiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
To solve this problem, you have to deactivate the window closing function in "MCP" or move output key to another function key.
why you waiting to tell me? i have had this problems many pages ago...However i disabled the functions from MCP. Of coruse there are also other problems with these Mods: when i press ":" ";" "/" dosbox crash and freeze AmigaOS.
Of course with normal 3.1, dosbox working good.

@Novacoder
so at the end, the cause was MCP and maybe some other patch.
Old 04 September 2021, 13:37   #143
AMIGASYSTEM

Seiya I read only now, I had not read the previous pages, however on the Italian review of DosBox on amiganews you have intervened for other things but you have never mentioned this problem

Regarding the keys, does it happen only when you use the Italian keyboard? With the English keyboard it shouldn't happen! if on OS 3.1 you have no problems probably there is some incompatibility/bug with the Italian keyboard on OS 3.9?
Old 29 October 2021, 09:50   #144
AMIGASYSTEM

For those who are interested now there is a version "RunInDosBox" to run an MS-DOS executable (game program) directly from DOSBox, there is also a Datypes Descriptor and a def_icon to associate MS-DOS executables, you can read here the procedure created:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=108666

Video Testing on OS 3.2

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 01 October 2022, 04:13   #145
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Hi Nova:
You won't believe that I'm trying this great conversion of yours for the first time ever

Well... I'm only trying the RTG version just because it's just too much for an AGA one, just my thoughts. Using RTG and running Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis (full screen), the + pointer can't be moved all around the screen, so you've got to use the keyboard arrow keys to move it forward.
The great news is that it runs with voice on the emulated miggy at full speed . Wonderful
I've also tried Full Throttle. It runs slowly (assigning a CD in my case: I don't know if it can run without it), it runs as slow as it was running with ScummVM with my ACA 30/56. And this is with a current PC nowadays, an I5. I just think that it will run perfect with an I7

Edit: Ups, I've fixed the pointer with your prefs, and I've also changed AHI prefs and now it runs much better

Last edited by Retrofan; 02 October 2022 at 13:30.
Old 02 October 2022, 06:30   #146
NovaCoder

Hi my old friend

Glad you got the pointer working.

With this port of DOSBox it's critical that you set the optimal number of cycles in the configuration file. The easiest way to do this is to run it in windowed mode first and use the hot keys to increase or decrease until you find the best number for the game you are trying and then set that number in the configuration file.
Old 02 October 2022, 13:22   #147
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I'm using it on WinUAE with RTG and full screen. Do I have to change anything there about the cycles?. I mean in general, not for an single game.
Another thing: In the icon info, can I use "AHI from Sys... etc" like you could with ScummVM?. If it isn't implemented, it would be very nice to have it.

Cheers mate.

Edit: BTW, I've made a video. My problem is that I've got to run WinUAE plus the recorder program at the same time, so it runs badly.
My apologies, but this is it: [ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by Retrofan; 02 October 2022 at 13:46.
Old 02 October 2022, 15:08   #148
NovaCoder

Cool, looking good.

I think you can press ALT+ enter to switch to windowed mode or just change the DOSBox configuration file. When running in windowed mode it displays the current cycles used in the window bar. Try increasing or decreasing cycles until you get the best performance.
Old 02 October 2022, 16:47   #149
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Nice to know.
What about that usefull instruction that you can use in ScummVM in the info file redirecting the AHI prefs, something like "AHI from blablabla.."

Does it work here too or do I have to change ithe AHI prefs manually before starting DOSBox?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
...I think you can press ALT+ enter to switch to windowed mode
Here it's just "Return", Enter.

Last edited by Retrofan; 02 October 2022 at 19:26.
Old 03 October 2022, 03:11   #150
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Nice to know.
What about that usefull instruction that you can use in ScummVM in the info file redirecting the AHI prefs, something like "AHI from blablabla.."

Does it work here too or do I have to change ithe AHI prefs manually before starting DOSBox?
No, sorry you need to setup your AHI Prefs first because there isn't an easy way for me to open an AHI dialog in my SDL based games.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 10 October 2022, 13:14   #151
DisasterIncarna

before i overwrite the AGA version, i notice my previous AGA version is 4,137,456 bytes in size, the version i see as recent on aminet is sized at 2,538,016, which is quite a file size difference, is that the correct AGA version, only asking as its very close in size to the RTG version.
Old 10 October 2022, 13:34   #152
NovaCoder

Yep I think it's correct. New AGA version is now almost identical to the RTG version.
Old 10 October 2022, 13:57   #153
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
Yep I think it's correct. New AGA version is now almost identical to the RTG version.
legend, thanks.
Old 24 August 2023, 21:11   #154
derSammler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
Of coruse there are also other problems with these Mods: when i press ":" ";" "/" dosbox crash and freeze AmigaOS.
Of course with normal 3.1, dosbox working good.
I have that issue, too. But I'm not using MCP or other hacks, just a fresh install of 3.1.4. Using the latest DOSBox RTG. Is that a known issue with 3.1.4 and can it be fixed somehow?
Old 25 August 2023, 09:11   #155
viddi

Thank you!!

Still trying to get Mega Race up and running.

So if someone has a pre-installed and configured version...please let me know. THANKS!
Old 25 August 2023, 10:28   #156
derSammler

Quote:
Originally Posted by derSammler View Post
I have that issue, too. But I'm not using MCP or other hacks, just a fresh install of 3.1.4. Using the latest DOSBox RTG. Is that a known issue with 3.1.4 and can it be fixed somehow?
So it seems that this is an issue with DOSBox not being able to handle unknown keys on foreign keyboards. All the keys that cause DOSBox to freeze (e.g. ö,ä,ü on a German keyboard) are registered as "key unknown" when being pressed in the mapper. Tried remapping, which changed behaviour a bit: it printed the letter that would be there on an English keyboard and instead of freezing, it now triggered a GURU (80000008 I think it was).

Really a bummer. Seems like unless your keyboard layout is English, DOSBox is unusable.

On the other hand, it seems not to work well with the PiStorm/Emu68 anyway. It's not even able to do 1000 cycles with a frameskip of 1 with simple/386. Tried a text-mode Adlib player and it was not able to simply play a song.
Old 25 August 2023, 11:41   #157
NovaCoder

You need to change the keyboard language in the ini file when using a language other than the default English layout.
Old 25 August 2023, 12:12   #158
derSammler

That does not help! That option seems to be broken anyway in the newest version. With 0.74.014, y and z were swapped as expected, with keyboardlayout=de fixing that. In 0.74.032 however, there is apparently some auto-detection going on. y and z are *not* swapped by default and correctly mapped. With keyboardlayout=de, it falls back to English. So there's some bug.

But it is unrelated. In *all* cases, pressing any key that is seen as "unknown" by the mapper freezes DOSBox (no matter if current or older version). The keyboard layout selected in Workbench makes the difference here. If that is not English, you run into trouble.

Last edited by derSammler; 25 August 2023 at 12:17.
Old 26 August 2023, 03:15   #159
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by derSammler View Post
That does not help! That option seems to be broken anyway in the newest version. With 0.74.014, y and z were swapped as expected, with keyboardlayout=de fixing that. In 0.74.032 however, there is apparently some auto-detection going on. y and z are *not* swapped by default and correctly mapped. With keyboardlayout=de, it falls back to English. So there's some bug.

But it is unrelated. In *all* cases, pressing any key that is seen as "unknown" by the mapper freezes DOSBox (no matter if current or older version). The keyboard layout selected in Workbench makes the difference here. If that is not English, you run into trouble.
The German keyboard code is 'GR' not 'DE'

https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/KEYB

If I get the time, I'll install the German language on my Workbench and give it a try myself.
Old 26 August 2023, 08:44   #160
derSammler

"de" works fine in 0.74.014 RTG as well as in DOSBox for Windows. I'm not calling KEYB in DOSBox, but set the option in the config file.

All you need to do is to add and activate the German keyboard layout to Workbench (no need to install the WB itself in German, mine is not either), start DOSBox and press the key next to "L", which would be "Ö" on a German keyboard. DOSBox will freeze.

//edit:
Just tested, "gr" in the config file does not work. So the wiki is wrong in implying the codes for keyb and the config file are the same. It's "de" for German keyboard. Another user in this thread confirmed that already in post #50. When using the keyb command inside DOSBox, both codes do the same, however. I assume "gr" only exists so that it will work just like the MS-DOS command did back in the day.

Last edited by derSammler; 26 August 2023 at 09:16.