English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 11 May 2021, 10:07   #41
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Yep. My precious second hand A500 stopped functioning and since at that time the PC had taken over and Commodore had gone bankrupt, we tossed it rather than see if it could be repaired. To be fair at that point it had already cost tons of money in replaced monitors, joysticks and mice and it wasn't really being used anymore so at the time it was a fair financial and space decision. It was just another piece of defunct hardware taking up too much space.

Oh oh oh how I hated myself a couple of years later when nostalgia became a disease. Thankfully I discovered WinUAE was already a thing.
Old 15 May 2021, 00:42   #42
Higgy

I broke my 1200 in about 1999 and that got binned.
(Who thinks about repairing when the 'delights' of Pentium 2 power and 3D awaits!).
The Microvitec multisync went a year or so later with my VidiAmiga 12 and anything else still lying around..

In around 2004 someone gave me a 1200. I plugged it in, played with Deluxe Paint for 5mins then we'll I don't know where it is. Could have left it in rental loft or given it away I really don't know.
What I find strange is I must have had NO nostalgia for it at that time. I did not even go on the web to check out the scene or how to get software on it.
Bearing in mind at Uni in 1998 I found FTPs with ADF's and those PreWHDLoad HD installs and used my Power Computing HD Floppy Drive to get the stuff off PC floppies. I even found and bought those Lazarus Amiga CDs. I kick myself that I basically had turned my back on Amiga (for dare I say it PC gaming and all that amazing 3D! + COD multiplayer on house LAN etc).

The Microvitec multisync would be handy to have again now.
Old 15 May 2021, 16:25   #43
haps
Rumpig

A500 and 2xA600 6 months ago when me and the old girl bought a new house. A heap of peripherals and other old computers went with them. Took them to Office Works because they recycle old computer gear, and the young bloke was amazed that I still had such 'ancient' computer equipment. I wanted to keep it all, but she who must be obeyed needed to be obeyed if I wanted to buy some new fishing gear or tools or what not. :P
Old 15 May 2021, 17:04   #44
rothers

I had a 1.2 (with the different coloured LED) Amiga someone (from a publishing company) gave me back in about 1998 and I wanted to see what chips it shared with the Megadrive (and other 68k machines) and I managed to break the machine pulling some chips and yeah it was worth about £20 at the time and it went in the bin. It had a hand written note from commodore about the 1.3 upgrade, I think it was likely an early review machine, it also had hand done mods on the board. Whoops.

But last year on here I gave away another one I had which was working and I think that absolves me
Old 15 May 2021, 19:17   #45
Paul_s

Around 10 years ago I purchased a 'working' A4000.

So I decided to give it a good clean - there was quite a bit of corrosion on the motherboard (battery was already gone) so I put the board in the dishwasher.

It never worked again!

So I gutted the 4000 and sold all the components but I did throw the case away (just the metal chassis).

So my advice: be very wary about motherboards and dishwasher (especially fragile AGA boards - I think an early 500/2000 board could withstand this type of cleaning but just stick to manual methods for best results )
Old 15 May 2021, 20:08   #46
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by haps View Post
I wanted to keep it all, but she who must be obeyed needed to be obeyed if I wanted to buy some new fishing gear or tools or what not. :P
Glad I don't live with my mom anymore
Old 15 May 2021, 22:51   #47
Hercules
Vodka monster.

Sold my Blizzard 1260 + SCSI Module as was desperate for cash at the time. Regretted it ever since.
Old 15 May 2021, 22:52   #48
Hercules
Vodka monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzza View Post
A1200 in a tower, with a PPC and graphics card. I was moving home in 2004. It was taking up space and I hadn't used in years. I threw it in the bin. The regret is strong.
Old 16 May 2021, 14:30   #49
haps
Rumpig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
Glad I don't live with my mom anymore

Hmmmm... The old girl is my wife. I'm the old boy. If I was talking about mum it would be the old girl taking the dirt sleep.
Old 16 May 2021, 17:23   #50
BennehBoy

I skipped an a1200, squirrel scsi, various scsi cdrom drives, a couple of syquest prodrives and ~5 or 6 removable disks somewhere around 1997/8 - not that long after discovering Quake on the PC.

Literally threw it in a skip, so it's probably in landfill somewhere to this day.
Old 16 May 2021, 18:28   #51
deladrevoc
Not enough time

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennehBoy View Post
Seriously? I'll drive down and collect the lot
2nd in line
Old 16 May 2021, 19:13   #52
BennehBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by deladrevoc View Post
2nd in line
Sorry mate, I actually already went and got them.

The A600 needed some repairs (There's a recent thread in here). Both C64's work, but one probably needs a recap as it's not loading from tape too well.

I'm just waiting for some upgrades to arrive for the A600 now, 8mb A608 Mini from Poland, PLCC RGB2HDMI, and a 1mb chip upgrade from Ireland. It will then be my kids' whdload machine.

One of the 2 C64C's will become my daily, and my existing breadbin is going to get the full zif treatment so I can use it as a test bed. 2nd C64C I'm giving to a friend.
Old 16 May 2021, 23:57   #53
Akiko

Yes shamefully I binned several A4000's over the years, I chucked three faulty A4000's in the bin and later sold another three faulty A4000 motherboards on eBay as a joblot and chucked their cases in the bin.

This was the early/mid 2000's when these machines were quite cheap usually under £200, my rational at the time was that I found it cheaper and less stressful to replace the A4000 with another from eBay than it was to actually get the machine repaired, as I recall the only person who was widely recommended for Amiga repairs back then on the forums was a technician called Jean-Jacques Boulet from France, I never had any luck with any of the hardware I sent him, the two A4000's I sent came back repaired which were quite expensive but died again several weeks later, as I recall some people back then were saying he would only replace the damaged component rather than recap the whole machine, which in hindsight is probably exactly what these A4000's needed.
Old 17 May 2021, 12:44   #54
Superman

I haven't binned any Amiga hardware but I have binned a few floppies and my Amiga Format magazines. I do wish I had kept them.
Old 04 July 2021, 11:14   #55
Spriteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob68K View Post
I did.
Probably about 15 years ago now.
I chucked a working A1200 with 030 board and 8 megs of RAM into a skip.
I didn't really think anything of it at the time but now I look around me and see loads of stuff I still have that was far more worthy of binning at the time and wonder what on earth I was thinking.
Luckily my A1000 is still at my dad's, even though the A1080 monitor that came with it ( which was admittedly knackered ) went in the same skip as the 1200.
I got a small seizure reading this

My confession is nothing compared to this. I had a A500 that died on me, was it 2004? I binned that but kept the Supra HD I had. I thought I would get another A500 later. Sadly I lost that HD during moving later. I lost data I could not back up. I had been writing stuff and had made some simple tunes with tracker.
Old 04 July 2021, 21:46   #56
rare_j
Zone Friend

Binned a big stack of Amiga Format, Amiga Power, and CU Amiga mags, when I was leaving home. That's about it. (Kept the coverdisks)
I also had to dispose of a broken 1438 multisync monitor that I took to be repaired but was told was beyond economical repair. Not much you can do with monitors though. At the time I was just using it as a PC monitor so picking up a replacement for that was easy.

I gave away some PC gear that's become worth a bit now, a pentium-era pc with an awe-64. I didn't see the retro PC thing taking off like it has done. At the time, outdated PC gear was literally worthless. Luckily I had enough sense to keep both the voodoo 2's.

You can't hoard everything though. I was offered a Power Mac G3 blue and white tower from work twelve years ago but had to turn it down - baby on the way in a small flat - what can you do?
Old 04 July 2021, 21:50   #57
8bitbubsy

Yes I have. More than once too. :-)
Old 05 July 2021, 23:20   #58
Spriteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules View Post
Sold my Blizzard 1260 + SCSI Module as was desperate for cash at the time. Regretted it ever since.
Even if you still had both your kidneys? Who needs two of those if you have only one 1260?
Old 18 May 2022, 15:12   #59
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Never trashed or sold anything amiga related.

I have still my beloved A600 from 1992, fully recapped

And my A1200 (plus A500, GVP II HD, etc)
Old 18 May 2022, 16:06   #60
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

My original A500 is in several pieces and needs binning! Chicken Lips.. Serial Numer 32627

Last edited by DanScott; 18 May 2022 at 16:13.