English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 07 July 2022, 17:30   #21
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

The game's box blurb touts the ball never leaving the pitch as a major innovation/feature. I wonder if the devs meant to extend this principle to include the back of the goal? In which case, why even have one? A target zone would have sufficed and made more sense, rather than having the ball rebound off solid, transparent ether. That's about as dramatic and satisfying as a punctured whoopie cushion. No wonder there's an 'action' replay to confirm that a goal has actually been scored.
Old 07 July 2022, 17:36   #22
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Ah the wild west of game development. Throw things at the wall and see if it sticks. In this case an invisible wall.
Old 07 July 2022, 19:22   #23
AMIPEGUSER

@gimbal

You are right. Some games had so many differences in there reviews.
for example RorkeĀ“s Drift from Impressions.
If you look The One and Amiga Computing give 78% and 80% in the review.
For the german Power Play it was one of the alltime worst with 4%.

They tested it on a normal A500 and it is true, that the game nearly frozes when there
are many soldiers and zulus on the screen.
I really like this game when I play it on a A1200. I still have my savings and will be play to the end.
Old 07 July 2022, 21:02   #24
kad3t

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamkatcha View Post
The game's box blurb touts the ball never leaving the pitch as a major innovation/feature. I wonder if the devs meant to extend this principle to include the back of the goal? In which case, why even have one? A target zone would have sufficed and made more sense, rather than having the ball rebound off solid, transparent ether. That's about as dramatic and satisfying as a punctured whoopie cushion. No wonder there's an 'action' replay to confirm that a goal has actually been scored.
That is probably the best summary of what's in the game. It's spot on.
Old 07 July 2022, 22:14   #25
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice8629 View Post
This is a job for Zeusdaz! Perfect for a SGT video review.
Send him five quid and will do it!
Old 08 July 2022, 00:15   #26
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Send him five quid and will do it!
Is this prostitution? It kind of is, isn't it? Here's 5 bucks, now dance for me!
Old 08 July 2022, 00:25   #27
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Is this prostitution? It kind of is, isn't it? Here's 5 bucks, now dance for me!
Did you just call Zeusdaz a whore? I think you did
Old 08 July 2022, 00:46   #28
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I made you say it.
Old 08 July 2022, 01:00   #29
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

You owe me 5 bucks!
Old 08 July 2022, 12:55   #30
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Quote:
Originally Posted by kad3t View Post
That is probably the best summary of what's in the game. It's spot on.
Thanks... and that's without playing it. I've since 'corrected' this. I wondered if the game is thoroughly botched due to a bad crack so gave the IPF version a whirl. Nope, that's exactly as you described too. In one of the reviews, there's a reference to the ball sailing into the back of the net! I'm not sure if this was just a turn of phrase or if it signifies something more suspicious.

After going round in circles for several minutes and overshooting menu options, I couldn't even get the arcade iteration of the game to start so had to re-watch your video to refresh my memory of the procedure. A strange decision defaulting to observer/manager mode where we are only informed of the outcome of each game without being directly involved.

Once 'in control' it took me a while to work out which colour team I was represented by because - like you - I couldn't determine if my actions were having any impact at all. If you can get an arrow to appear over one of your team members, they can grudgingly be persuaded to move in the general direction you intend, but that's such a challenge given the player focus-switching is so haphazardly broken.

In any case, I couldn't tolerate such torture for too long since the jittery frame rate was triggering a scintillating scotoma in my weary, weeping peepers. Lots of people joke about terrible games inducing migraine/aura without ever having experienced this personally. I genuinely am prone to them and it's not pleasant when your vision goes haywire due to flashing lights or stuttering motion.

Convincing retailers to flog this embarrassing, shambolic mess is nowt short of scurrilous skulduggery! Even pirates would give it a wide berth with hindsight.
Old 08 July 2022, 13:09   #31
rothers

Quote:

Yes just like all paid for work. So unless you're a gentleman of leisure, you're a whore
Old 08 July 2022, 14:16   #32
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice8629 View Post
This is a job for Zeusdaz! Perfect for a SGT video review.
This joke isn't going to hit home if no-one twigs that ice8629 = Zeusdaz's sock puppet account used to pimp his own money-making schemes. My pleasure.

Last edited by dreamkatcha; 02 January 2023 at 23:39.
Old 08 July 2022, 18:31   #33
Korban

Inertia Drive has to be in contention.
It's so bad my friends used to accuse me of having made it with s.e.u.ck. and "accuse" is absolutely the right word
Probably not the singular worst game for the Amiga. It has that "it's so bad its amusing" thing going for it, which is something some terrible games don't, but its definitely terrible.
Old 08 July 2022, 18:57   #34
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
You DON'T want to see me dance - not even if I pay you!
I could, however, for a non compulsory but a bit more consistent cash donation, work on a mod for an amiga or an indie game...
Old 09 July 2022, 14:16   #35
kad3t

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamkatcha View Post
Thanks... and that's without playing it. I've since 'corrected' this. I wondered if the game is thoroughly botched due to a bad crack so gave the IPF version a whirl. Nope, that's exactly as you described too. In one of the reviews, there's a reference to the ball sailing into the back of the net! I'm not sure if this was just a turn of phrase or if it signifies something more suspicious.

After going round in circles for several minutes and overshooting menu options, I couldn't even get the arcade iteration of the game to start so had to re-watch your video to refresh my memory of the procedure. A strange decision defaulting to observer/manager mode where we are only informed of the outcome of each game without being directly involved.

Once 'in control' it took me a while to work out which colour team I was represented by because - like you - I couldn't determine if my actions were having any impact at all. If you can get an arrow to appear over one of your team members, they can grudgingly be persuaded to move in the general direction you intend, but that's such a challenge given the player focus-switching is so haphazardly broken.

In any case, I couldn't tolerate such torture for too long since the jittery frame rate was triggering a scintillating scotoma in my weary, weeping peepers. Lots of people joke about terrible games inducing migraine/aura without ever having experienced this personally. I genuinely am prone to them and it's not pleasant when your vision goes haywire due to flashing lights or stuttering motion.

Convincing retailers to flog this embarrassing, shambolic mess is nowt short of scurrilous skulduggery! Even pirates would give it a wide berth with hindsight.
This is just a waste. The game that is. It's like a black hole in the whole video game business that sucks out all the potential fun that there is in gaming...

Just imagine *this* being someone's their first game...
Old 09 July 2022, 14:40   #36
ZEUSDAZ

Quote:
This is just a waste. The game that is. It's like a black hole in the whole video game business that sucks out all the potential fun that there is in gaming...

Just imagine *this* being someone's their first game...

Didn't Tiertex do that?! Lol
Old 09 July 2022, 17:42   #37
kad3t

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEUSDAZ View Post
Didn't Tiertex do that?! Lol
I don't think even they would dare to release such monstrosity. There should be a big yellow sticker on a box with this game warning of potential mental risks involved of running this trash.

Also, ZEUSDAZ, long time subscriber (on my personal account that is), nice to meet you sir.
Old 09 July 2022, 22:37   #38
ZEUSDAZ

Quote:
I don't think even they would dare to release such monstrosity. There should be a big yellow sticker on a box with this game warning of potential mental risks involved of running this trash.

Also, ZEUSDAZ, long time subscriber (on my personal account that is), nice to meet you sir.

Nice 1! What's your Youtube name as I'll keep an eye out for yer
Hope you enjoy the content!
Old 09 July 2022, 23:47   #39
kad3t

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEUSDAZ View Post
Nice 1! What's your Youtube name as I'll keep an eye out for yer
Hope you enjoy the content!
I do. Especially the Shit Game Time. You have clearly suffered through quite a lot of really bad games. That said, I'll still stand by what I said as ProSoccer 2190 in my eyes is just absolute worst of all!

My channel is: https://www.youtube.com/c/OldAndNewVideoGames

It's pretty new, only about 3 months old but I upload at least once per week so I've already 27 videos there. And I've planned for a really fun (I hope) 10-part mini series, that the first episode of should be live Monday or Tuesday the latest. So if you happen to watch it then, I'd appreciate your professional opinion.
Old 10 July 2022, 00:25   #40
rothers

Are we forgetting the classic 'Town with no name'? (they also made a couple of even worse games too).