English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 09 January 2019, 06:44   #41
KKR75

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiflip View Post
(checked scripts still see's cloanto 3.1 install disk has invalid therefore installation can not continue)
Will check into this today and report back. This might be an easy fix.
Old 09 January 2019, 07:03   #42
KKR75

Quote:
workaround added workbench library from install disc to hdf libs and fixes issue to boot from 3.x rom
The workbench.library fix for Cloanto 3.1 installs will also be included in the next package release which will happen later today.
Old 09 January 2019, 09:52   #43
KKR75

Below is the latest version of my updated ClassicWB Full.

CHANGELOG from previous version:

- Cleaned up stale installation files
- Support for Cloanto AmigaForever Workbench 3.1 Disk Installs

ClassicWB 3.1.4 FULL Package Update

Much remains to be done.

Enjoy
Old 09 January 2019, 11:05   #44
digiflip

testing now, thanks for updates thought they would never be any updates for classic wb
Old 09 January 2019, 11:33   #45
KKR75

Quote:
testing now, thanks for updates thought they would never be any updates for classic wb
Well I certainly at some point would like to get the packages updated to current versions. Problem is, I am not sure who uses which version of classicwb the most (full? lite? adv? etc...) so it would be idiotic for me to spend time updating a pack no one uses.
Old 09 January 2019, 12:56   #46
digiflip

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKR75 View Post
Well I certainly at some point would like to get the packages updated to current versions. Problem is, I am not sure who uses which version of classicwb the most (full? lite? adv? etc...) so it would be idiotic for me to spend time updating a pack no one uses.
Ok well tested full on my a500 plus works but all icon label text garbled. Maybe ecs not strong enough for full
Old 09 January 2019, 14:06   #47
KKR75

Quote:
Ok well tested full on my a500 plus works but all icon label text garbled. Maybe ecs not strong enough for full
that's strange, i don't see why it would be that way. Full should work fine with ECS. It was running okay on my previous a500 with aca500+ ks3.1.

can you post some screenshots so i can better understand the issue?
Old 09 January 2019, 17:57   #48
KKR75

Minor update issued. CHANGELOG:

- Cleaned up stale installation files across all WB versions (3.0, 3.1, 3.1Cloanto, 3.1.4).
- Cloanto 3.1 had missing files installed (MagTape, mfm, postscript, BRU). FIXED.
- Minor install script speed improvement

Link to package same as above post in thread, but repasting it here for completeness:

ClassicWB 3.1.4 FULL Package Update
Old 10 January 2019, 04:23   #49
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
One issue that is still nagging me during the install is that there seem to be some sort of memory leak somewhere related when files are being copied. It only happens during the 3.1.4 installation, and not during the 3.0 or 3.1 installation. RAM keeps getting filled up until the end of the file copy, and in total, it takes up to 15MB of RAM. To remedy this situation for now, I created a WinUAE configuration with 16MB of RAM, and this lets the install complete. One can easily reduce it back to 8 or whatever after running the software normally.
This isssue obviously needs to get fixed, but I have no idea where to look, and I have tried to pinpoint it inside the scripts, but not know how to remedy it.
Hi, have you solved this?

I advice you that whenever you use the COPY command to massively copy files, that you use the BUF 10 option so that you dont run out of memory.

This happens mainly because of two things:

AmigaOS enjoys fragmenting memory, and when you perform lots of copies, it certainly does lots of allocations and deallocations, which of course lead to memory fragmentation, and if there is a tiny leak somewehere, it gets multiplied quite easily.

Then there is the default way COPY command works. As far as I remember (I should better check!) it generally allocates memory as big as the file it intends to copy, which makes things worse on low memory conditions.

So try appending the BUF 10 argument to the end of each COPY line in your script and see if it makes a difference.
Old 10 January 2019, 09:17   #50
KKR75

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
Hi, have you solved this?.

So try appending the BUF 10 argument to the end of each COPY line in your script and see if it makes a difference.
Thank you!!!! I am proud to report that the whole 3.1.4 installationn including the classic Wb customizations only uses 890KB of fast RAM. It originally was 16MB, was able to reduce it to under 4MB by using heavy regexp, but now it is perfect thanks to your solution.

I am in the process of incorporating a few updates and customizations today, and will update the package when done.
Old 10 January 2019, 14:13   #51
PeterK

Quote:
Thanks. Got it included in the package, latest iconlib v.46.4.511_68020.

Are you sure? Found an old icon.library v46.4.326 on your System.hdf in "MyFiles/Install/Icons/Enable/Libs" but no v46.4.511 in your last update. I didn't try to install CWB again and don't know whether the latest version still works with CWB, never tested it in the last 4-5 years.

You need to replace the library there in "MyFiles/Install/Icons/Enable/Libs" and not in "System:Libs" because the CWB script will replace the "System:Libs/icon.library" when you enable it from the pull down menu. Similar things will happen to other options, too.

Last edited by PeterK; 10 January 2019 at 15:51.
Old 10 January 2019, 15:42   #52
KKR75

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
You need to replace the library there in "MyFiles/Install/Icons/Enable/Libs" and not in "System:Libs" because the CWB script will replace the "System:Libs/icon.library" when you enable it from the pull down menu. Similar things will happen to other options, too.
Thanks for the info PeterK. Checking into it now.
Old 10 January 2019, 16:51   #53
KKR75

ClassicWB-FULL updated again, link below changelog.

CHANGELOG:

- Optimized script memory usage thanks to gulliver's suggestion. Full installation now uses 890KB Fast RAM.
- Removed IconBeFast, StackAttack, BlazeWCP, PatchRAM and TagLiFe scripts / patches when using OS 3.1.4 only
- Removed pointers to above patches in the Scalos pulldown menu, when using OS 3.1.4 only
- Added support for latest PeterK's icon.library 46.4.511 across all ClassicWB FULL versions (3.0, 3.1, 3.1.4). This library file is now installed by default in LIBS: as well as in the MyFiles/Install/Icons/Enable/Libs folder

ClassicWB 3.1.4 FULL Edition Package Update

Please make sure you test and report back any issues related to above changelog, as I might have missed something.

Last edited by KKR75; 10 January 2019 at 23:07.
Old 10 January 2019, 19:41   #54
Fendrix

Unhappy

Waow, this is great work guys, you're awsome
Been testing it in WinUAE and loving it.

One problem for me...... I need the 68K version of CWB to be able to run it on my real machine

Thanx for everything
Old 10 January 2019, 20:40   #55
KKR75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fendrix View Post
Waow, this is great work guys, you're awsome
Been testing it in WinUAE and loving it.

One problem for me...... I need the 68K version of CWB to be able to run it on my real machine

Thanx for everything
you need to be able to run classicwb-68K version 3.1.4 ? I guess that will be my next update project then, as I only updated the FULL so far for 3.1.4.
Old 10 January 2019, 20:47   #56
monkat

This is awesome - are there plans for the other types too?

Also will these be available on the CEB site?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 10 January 2019, 20:53   #57
rcman
Long time Amiga Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkat View Post

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sorry, I'm a little outdated on my Amiga stuff. The first version you updated is for which Amiga?

RC
Old 10 January 2019, 23:00   #58
KKR75

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkat View Post
i was planning on eventually doing the 68K version next, then LITE, ADV, and ADVSP. But this will take time.

Quote:
Well I am in no way affiliated with Bloodwych nor do I know him more than you guys. I am just some dude who was annoyed that 3.1.4 was throwing errors with ClassicWB so I decided to delve into it and fix the damn thing

Right now, all versions that will be released will be on my Google drive.

Cheers
Old 10 January 2019, 23:02   #59
KKR75

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcman View Post
Sorry, I'm a little outdated on my Amiga stuff. The first version you updated is for which Amiga?

Well according to the ClassicWB Website, the FULL version of ClassicWB is geared towards a standard non-accelerated Amiga 1200 with a 4MB memory expansion. It has normal icons as opposed to New/Glow and is designed to run on non-interlaced 640x256 resolutions in 16 or 32 color modes.

But it certainly works with let's say an Amiga 500 with an ACA500+ side expansion and ACA1221ec or ACA1222n accelerator. It does require the 68020 or better processor. That's how I have it running on one of my real Amiga 500.

The ClassicWB-68K I will work on next is designed for 68000 processors.
Old 11 January 2019, 00:19   #60
cloverskull

Thanks for doing all of this. It would be great if you could also help with the 3.5/3.9 versions as well, since many people upgrade 3.9 to 3.1.4, but I understand if that is asking a lot!