English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 29 September 2022, 13:30   #1
hardgb
HARDGB

PCMCIA WI-FI card in 2022

Is anyone currently able to access the internet with PCMCI Wifi cards?

My question is because I have an Orinoco Gold card and to access the internet, I used a second router with WPA settings - TKIP, B+G+N and that's how I got it. The last time I accessed it this way was in 2020 but I tried to access the internet yesterday and I'm not getting it.

Note: The second router stopped working, I bought another one I did the same configuration but I still couldn't access the internet.
Old 29 September 2022, 17:33   #2
Leon Besson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardgb View Post

My question is because I have an Orinoco Gold card and to access the internet, I used a second router with WPA settings - TKIP, B+G+N and that's how I got it. The last time I accessed it this way was in 2020 but I tried to access the internet yesterday and I'm not getting it.

Note: The second router stopped working, I bought another one I did the same configuration but I still couldn't access the internet.
My advice Bromigo! Get a Linksys one. Could be the Orinoco one is borked.

Don’t forget things have moved on in wi-if technology. Your new router probably has some sort of trusted firewall you need to configure or it’s just not compatible with the older WPA standards as it’s deemed not secure enough.

I’m using a Linksys model WPC11 V2.5 card with an ASUS router with no issues.
Old 02 October 2022, 19:52   #3
Sir_Lucas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardgb View Post

Hi. Orinoco Gold only supports WPA/TKIP. Make sure you use TKIP only and not mixed mode or TKIP + AES. Otherwise, it just does not work.
Try B+G only.

Best option would be to get a WPA2/AES firmware flashed card.
They are harder and harder to come by, though.
Old 04 October 2022, 13:50   #4
PDrill

I think my card is Orinoco Silver (I also tired many others) and I can't get that to connect to most of the modems/routers I've tried even without any encryption. Over the years I've tried multiple modems/routers even with open networks with no success until I found an old second hand router from flea market for a few euros and tried it.

I don't understand that much about the technologies but my experience is that these old things just don't connect to the latest tech just like that and surely there is a reason.
Old 31 July 2023, 07:50   #5
klx300r

I'm connecting to my router but unable to get iBrowse to work and hoping someone can shed some light on this thread https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=105204
Old 01 August 2023, 11:01   #6
huggy70

I am using a Buffalo Air Station WiFi Card which has Orinoco Gold I think.
It is used with old fritzbox 7170 with setting "WPA+WPA2" and "802.11b" mode which I use exclusively for amiga network now.

Was a cheap buy on ebay and seller said he put latest firmware on card for WPA to work.
Works great, unfortunately throughput is not that great with only 150kb/s on A1200 1230/50.

If anyone has a clue how to increase throughput, please let me know. Unfortunately my cable bound fiberline card stopped working and replacement was hard to find.
Old 01 August 2023, 11:11   #7
Sir_Lucas

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggy70 View Post
I am using a Buffalo Air Station WiFi Card which has Orinoco Gold I think.
It is used with old fritzbox 7170 with setting "WPA+WPA2" and "802.11b" mode which I use exclusively for amiga network now.

Was a cheap buy on ebay and seller said he put latest firmware on card for WPA to work.
Works great, unfortunately throughput is not that great with only 150kb/s on A1200 1230/50.

If anyone has a clue how to increase throughput, please let me know. Unfortunately my cable bound fiberline card stopped working and replacement was hard to find.
The thing is with Orinoco Gold cards and its clones you have to use WPA/TKIP only. You cannot use mixed mode. The other thing is that Amiga's PCMCIA only supports B mode.

There are some options to increase the speed of Orinoco Gold.
1. You have to use the MapRom function and maprom your Kickstart into Fast Ram.
2. Use Roadshow TCP/IP stack. It's the lightest, fastest and still developed stack.
3. Some system patching might be useful too.
4. Copy files to RAM: instead of CF/HDD.

If you'd like to connect to a modern router then you can get a PCMCIA WPA2/AES card.
Have a look here:
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 01 August 2023, 13:26   #8
huggy70

Quote:
The thing is with Orinoco Gold cards and its clones you have to use WPA/TKIP only. You cannot use mixed mode. The other thing is that Amiga's PCMCIA only supports B mode.
Yes, couldn't get it to work with my main router so I hooked it up to some old one and limited connection to my a1200 only. Don't know if this is still some kind of security issue.

Quote:
1. You have to use the MapRom function and maprom your Kickstart into Fast Ram.
Guess I have that already, don't know. I am using OS 3.2 with a 3.1 ROM, so probably yes

Quote:
2. Use Roadshow TCP/IP stack. It's the lightest, fastest and still developed stac
Will have to try. Now using MiamiDX. Throughput with old lan card was appr. 380 kb/s

Quote:
3. Some system patching might be useful too.
Ok, don't know where to start here :-)

Quote:
4. Copy files to RAM: instead of CF/HDD.
Will try and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks!
Old 01 August 2023, 21:08   #9
Sir_Lucas

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggy70 View Post
Yes, couldn't get it to work with my main router so I hooked it up to some old one and limited connection to my a1200 only. Don't know if this is still some kind of security issue.

Guess I have that already, don't know. I am using OS 3.2 with a 3.1 ROM, so probably yes

Will have to try. Now using MiamiDX. Throughput with old lan card was appr. 380 kb/s

Ok, don't know where to start here :-)

Will try and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks!
Quote:
Different turbo boards have different MapROM tools. Blizzards use BlizKick. ACA cards use ACATUNE. There is also SKick. Do you use any of them?

Quote:
Roadshow is around 60% quicker than MiamiDX.