English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 23 June 2020, 09:33   #1
thyslo

DOpus 5.82 and XADopus - wrong timestamp of unpacked files

I've recently installed XADopus for DOpus 5.82 and then noticed that the timestamps of files unpacked with XADopus always are set to the current date/time:
  • When double clicking a LHA archive its contents are opened in a new listener
  • Therein I can browse the directories, all files have their original timestamp
  • When I now select a file and copy it into the destination lister, the time stamp of the destination file is changed to current date time.
On contrary, when using c:xadunfile to extract the whole archive, the original time stamps are preserved. So it might be caused by the XADopus extension and not by XAD itself.

Did anybody here notice this too or maybe have an idea how to fix it?
Old 23 June 2020, 14:19   #2
daxb

It may use "copy" instead of "copy clone" somewhere. Have you tried to contact the author of XADopus? You can check the DOpus environment settings "Copy" where you can set if the source time stamp shall be copied or not.
Old 23 June 2020, 14:59   #3
thyslo

I suppose you're right and "copy" instead "copy all" is used from inside XADopus.

I've just checked the environment setting you mentioned and it is set to "Copy date from sorce", so this should work.

So, maybe I'll mail the XADopus author and inform about this - but probably meanwhile he is out of reach given the release was about 20 years ago.

Last edited by thyslo; 23 June 2020 at 15:01. Reason: Spelling
Old 24 June 2020, 09:54   #4
npagonis73

I contacted the author a week ago for a question I had for a xad command but he replied that he is not active and told be ciao!!!!!
Old 24 June 2020, 15:45   #5
daxb

Then it it might be a good idea to ask for source code and allow that someone can upload it to Aminet. So, anybody can have a look and may fix bugs. At least asking shows interest.
Old 18 September 2020, 09:45   #6
thyslo

Meanwhile I've found the XADopus sources: https://sourceforge.net/projects/dop...us5.82/source/

Edit: And for about one month it also can be found in Aminet: http://aminet.net/package/util/dopus/XADopus_src

Sooner or later I will have a look..

Last edited by thyslo; 18 September 2020 at 14:16.
Old 28 September 2022, 18:26   #7
thyslo

Getting back to this old topic..

I've got the XADopus sources to compile and looked into the code to find why the timestamp of the files is getting lost after extraction.

I also had a look into the Avalanche source as it also uses XAD to see why there the timestamps aren't lost after extraction: Because there the timestamps (and the comments, and the protection bits) are manually updated for every file after extraction.

So I added such a behavior to XADopus and the result is attached here.

So if anybody has XADopus in use on a AmigaOS3.1.4+ machine you're free to test it and give feedback if it now works

Feel free to do a before and after test: extract a file from an LHA archive with the old XADopus version. See if the timestamp of the extracted file is wrong as expected. Then repeat it with the new version and see if the timestamp now is ok.
Attached Files
File Type: lha xadopus_fixed.lha (8.0 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by thyslo; 29 September 2022 at 12:37.
Old 29 September 2022, 20:47   #8
thyslo

Oops..forgot to add the fix also to when individual files are extracted from the archive.

Attached another version which includes this fix too.
Attached Files
File Type: lha xadopus_fixed.lha (8.1 KB, 32 views)
Old 01 October 2022, 13:03   #9
thyslo

There still were issues. Timestamps were not updated in some circumstances. Latest fix is attached here.

Does anyone know 'the rules' on how to release an update/fix to a package of an meanwhile retired author on Aminet?
Attached Files
File Type: lha xadopus_fixed.lha (8.1 KB, 36 views)
Old 01 October 2022, 14:15   #10
daxb

First, you cannot overwrite foreign packages. As far as I know there are not such rules beside the general upload rules. So, upload your update/fix to the right Aminet directory (util/dopus) with a proper name.
Old 01 October 2022, 15:29   #11
EctoOne

Just out of curiosity. Why not use 5.91 which already comes with XADopus?

I never liked DirOpus 5 because of its multi windows layout compared to DirOpus 4. But I decided to give it another try and was wondering if there would be any benefit when using the older version.
Old 01 October 2022, 17:27   #12
thyslo

Somewhere (sorry, I don't remember the sources; it might have been a PeterK/icon.library thread) I read that Dopus 5.82 has some minor memory leaks. In that same discussion was said that Dopus 5.91 fixed these leaks but introduced new ones that are 'not so minor'. All just from memory.

But I tested the 5.91 XADopus already and it has the timestap problem too.

Last edited by thyslo; 01 October 2022 at 17:37.
Old 01 October 2022, 19:43   #13
EctoOne

Thanks for the answer. I will see if I run into any problems with 5.91 but, although I've spotted some nice features in DOpus 5, I don't think it will ever replace my DOpus 4 setup.