English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hall Of Light > HOL news

Old 01 January 2017, 18:29   #1
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Floppy disk Christmas Classics (Free Spirit) - Merry Christmas & HNY 2017 from the HOL team!!!

Happy New Year EAB peeps!

On behalf of the HOL team (and super contributors!), I bring you today something a little different - an obscure little edutainment title in the (free ) spirit of the holiday season - it's.....Christmas Classics!!!

Not a lot to say about this one except that it's a real throwback to wholesome 1980s computer entertainment, in a time when singing Christmas carols played by the computer (vs vinyl or a cassette recorder) with cued lyrics was considered cutting edge and dreaming up the notion of MP3s probably would've meant dropping too much LSD and then getting a visit from the men with straight-jackets! Just an FYI, Christmas Classics originally appeared on the C64 and it really shows as most of the Christmas carols in this Ami conversion have been given the chip-tune treatment.

Christmas Classics (Free Spirit) ------> http://hol.abime.net/6161 <------ (new HOL entry)

Anyway, I've plonked an ADF and a raw dump of my original copy in the Zone. The TOSEC and raw dump enthusiasts among you should refer to the readme files in each archive for more nitty-gritty info. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ChristmasClassics_DBS.png
Views:	1586
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	51532  

Last edited by DrBong; 02 January 2017 at 12:21. Reason: Inserted DBS + more!
Old 01 January 2017, 18:57   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

It's on YouTube if someone is in holiday mood
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 01 January 2017, 19:12   #3
Amigajay

Yeah it's a nice little title to run in the bg, I put it on my CD32 Xmas pack last month.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=85006
Old 01 January 2017, 19:39   #4
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

@s2325
Yes, oddly lots of love for the Amiga version on YouTube (3 vids IIRC).....and barely a mention of it anywhere else on the net except CA.com. Much less info. on the C64 version to be found, though, which apparently had many more Christmas carols included!

@Amigajay
So it is......I probably missed the bit about demos and music also being on that compilation. Nice Chrissy coverage on that comp BTW! Yeh, had Christmas Classics running in the background myself on Christmas Eve when finishing off work and tying up other loose ends well into the night. Very soothing, it was, indeed!

Last edited by DrBong; 01 January 2017 at 20:25.
Old 02 January 2017, 18:27   #5
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong View Post
@s2325
Yes, oddly lots of love for the Amiga version on YouTube (3 vids IIRC).....and barely a mention of it anywhere else on the net except CA.com. Much less info. on the C64 version to be found, though, which apparently had many more Christmas carols included!

@Amigajay
So it is......I probably missed the bit about demos and music also being on that compilation. Nice Chrissy coverage on that comp BTW! Yeh, had Christmas Classics running in the background myself on Christmas Eve when finishing off work and tying up other loose ends well into the night. Very soothing, it was, indeed!
Hi Carlo, i have checked your Raw dump, a track is bad, can you please redump the disk ?

Thanks
Old 02 January 2017, 21:09   #6
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

@Denis
Yeh, I know - I said as much in the text file included in the raw dump archive (tis also the reason why you didn't get an advance copy in email to analyse! ). Anyway, version.library in libs: on my original copy (brand new) is corrupted, so there's not much point doing another dump.....is there?

The corrupted file doesn't seem to affect anything, though, as the carols in Christmas Classics looped a few times in playback without problem on both my A1200 and A500. I just upped the raw dump so it can be used as an unmodified dump for comparison with the next dump, hopefully made available by someone else in the not-too-distant future.
Old 02 January 2017, 22:53   #7
Pat the Cat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong View Post
Happy New Year EAB peeps!

On behalf of the HOL team (and super contributors!), I bring you today something a little different - an obscure little edutainment title in the (free ) spirit of the holiday season - it's.....Christmas Classics!!!

Not a lot to say about this one except that it's a real throwback to wholesome 1980s computer entertainment, in a time when singing Christmas carols played by the computer (vs vinyl or a cassette recorder) with cued lyrics was considered cutting edge and dreaming up the notion of MP3s probably would've meant dropping too much LSD and then getting a visit from the men with straight-jackets! Just an FYI, Christmas Classics originally appeared on the C64 and it really shows as most of the Christmas carols in this Ami conversion have been given the chip-tune treatment.

Christmas Classics (Free Spirit) ------> http://hol.abime.net/6161 <------ (new HOL entry)

Anyway, I've plonked an ADF and a raw dump of my original copy in the Zone. The TOSEC and raw dump enthusiasts among you should refer to the readme files in each archive for more nitty-gritty info. Enjoy!
Am somewhat relieved you did not use Kevin "Bloody" Wilson's awesome "Hey Santa Claus!".

Maybe next Christmas?