English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 12 January 2005, 17:37   #1
MethodGit

Question FTPs that offer BIN/CUE CD³² images?

Not sure if this is the right section for it, but anyway....

After languishing around the Winamp and Hydrogen Audio forums for some time, and after experimenting with audio encoding in general, I'm becoming more and more concerned about wanting to use CD³²/CDTV images with the original quality audio intact - which usually would happen in the form of BIN/CUE or CloneCD images - as merely keeping only ISO/MP3 stuff forever would not guarantee the best preservation of such games, particularly as MP3 can slightly degrade the audio in bits when compared to the original CD-DA. That and after recalling hellish experiences in the past with understanding detailed CUEs and their MP3 listings (which naturally doesn't work with virtual drives or CD burning anyway) and whether pregap is important or not or whatever - particularly if you have to make new CUEs from scratch if the existing CUE is poorly constructed - it would be nice to have everything in simple two-file sets (or two/four-file sets with CloneCD), making everything neater in the basic sense.

Does anyone know if any of the FTPs stock such "non-degraded-audio" whole images, before I decide to download some? Just want to know beforehand, that's all.
Old 16 January 2005, 00:10   #2
TheBoss

Send a message via ICQ to TheBoss
Welcome to my world of trying to preserve the originally audio... well as fare as I know by confirming with the main guys I have shared with over time, 95% of the cds (includes my own orginals) I have online containing cd audio are direct copies from original games. I absolutely despise mp3/iso = CD because of degraded cd quality so I make sure when im sharing I get the right stuff, if not I replace it over time with confirmed orginal clones

My ftp is private mostly but maybe we can find something out, lets talk on icq/msn sometime
Old 16 January 2005, 03:20   #3
Jim

Being a Hyrdogen Audio guy (I am too) you'd be into FLAC and/or APE files.

This is the way to go to distrubute CD32's.

Rip the data as normal.

Rip the music as 1 continuos WAV file using EAC (make sure you use a offsetted drive and keep the gaps). Compress the WAV lossless to either FLAC or APE so you end up with the data file (.iso?), a .cue and one compressed audio file (.flac or .ape).

RAR the whole lot together and there you have it.

Old 16 January 2005, 08:15   #4
AMIGAZ
Amiga-Mad

Send a message via ICQ to AMIGAZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Being a Hyrdogen Audio guy (I am too) you'd be into FLAC and/or APE files.

This is the way to go to distrubute CD32's.

Rip the data as normal.

Rip the music as 1 continuos WAV file using EAC (make sure you use a offsetted drive and keep the gaps). Compress the WAV lossless to either FLAC or APE so you end up with the data file (.iso?), a .cue and one compressed audio file (.flac or .ape).

RAR the whole lot together and there you have it.
Why not make a cd image with Clone cd and then compress it with winrar?
Are we running computers from 1997 when a 4 gig HDD was big and we have to preserve our HDD space?
Old 16 January 2005, 12:50   #5
derSammler

Quote:
Are we running computers from 1997 when a 4 gig HDD was big and we have to preserve our HDD space?
I guess it's more about download times.
Old 16 January 2005, 13:24   #6
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindowsKiller
Exactly

Old 16 January 2005, 13:28   #7
AMIGAZ
Amiga-Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindowsKiller
lol people still using 56k modems...or even worse?
Old 16 January 2005, 13:31   #8
Jim

When your sharing this shit across things like emule every 9meg you save can mean the difference of a few minutes, hours or days (regardless of YOUR download speed).

And even if you were hosting on a FTP it would mean others waiting to logon could get on quicker. It's all about efficiency.

Old 16 January 2005, 13:48   #9
AMIGAZ
Amiga-Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
When your sharing this shit across things like emule every 9meg you save can mean the difference of a few minutes, hours or days (regardless of YOUR download speed).

And even if you were hosting on a FTP it would mean others waiting to logon could get on quicker. It's all about efficiency.
Can agree with you on crap sharing progs like Edonkey and if you're on a 0.5mbit or slower CABLE/ADSL line.
Old 16 January 2005, 13:51   #10
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGAZ
Can agree with you on crap sharing progs like Edonkey and if you're on a 0.5mbit or slower CABLE/ADSL line.
I'm on a 0.5mbit line and I download too much stuff off the Edonkey network (with Emule). Whilst Edonkey might be, other programs based on it certainly aren't crap.

OK there's BitTorrent but files die very quickly with that (if the associated website hasn't already).

Emule rules for downloading files that generally remain on the network for months if they prove popular enough, and Emule is also searchable.

But you didn't read my question properly.

What if the only guy who has a complete file has a 56k modem ?

Every 9 megabytes (chunk size) saved has a huge advantage and will effect you just as much regardless of if you have a 512kbit or a T3 connection.

Old 16 January 2005, 15:31   #11
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I am on a 56.6k modem!
Old 16 January 2005, 16:06   #12
MethodGit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss
My ftp is private mostly but maybe we can find something out, lets talk on icq/msn sometime
Well I don't happen to have your e-mail addy....... PM perhaps?
Old 16 January 2005, 16:55   #13
TheBoss

Send a message via ICQ to TheBoss
You dont use icq/msn? Well my email is "Theboss"_of_6th_"Dimension@hotmail.com" (remove the " in email)
Old 16 January 2005, 19:11   #14
MethodGit

I do use MSN, I just needed your e-mail addy first!