English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 20 April 2010, 16:07   #1
Zandig

Amiga emulator for the iPhone

Manomio Demonstrates Amiga and Atari 2600 Emulators for iPhone

http://toucharcade.com/2010/04/19/ma...rs-for-iphone/

I wonder how this will turn out?
Kind of pointless paying for all the stuff in the App store to play on a small screen. Not to mention we can get all of this stuff already and have WinUAE and WHDload.
Old 20 April 2010, 17:45   #2
onkelarie

Yup, it's more a tech-demo than close to being useful. As you mentioned, with winUAE on a netbook you get far better (and more usable) results with everything easily available. Besides that, it's the same developer who brought the C64 emulator to the iPhone. And that isn't a very impressive app to say the least.

And how does he solve the kickstart problem? Will Cloanto receive a percentage of the profits made in future?

Questions, questions!
Old 20 April 2010, 18:20   #3
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Hmm,
A thought:
Regardless of how good the emulator is I presume if this becomes an offical App-Store, um, app then won't Apple have to 'support' it.

So?

Well, let's say it's released with OS 1.3 & 3.1 ROMs included and a supposed IP-holder comes out of the wood-work demanding payment?
It's possible (assuming they could be bothered) Apple (a big company) may say 'Get stuffed, we're not paying'.
We either get a test-case regarding who (if anybody) actually owns the rights which at the least will clear things up, or nobody complains in which case I presume 'the community' can regard the IP as 'lapsed' so 'free' to distribute.

Of course someone within Apple just might be induced to buy up said rights so putting the ROMs beyond us forever.
Old 20 April 2010, 18:39   #4
seuden
uber cool demi god

Teh Romzorz Will Never Be Beyond Us!!
Old 20 April 2010, 21:51   #5
Djay
95th User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Hmm,
A thought:
Regardless of how good the emulator is I presume if this becomes an offical App-Store, um, app then won't Apple have to 'support' it.

So?

Well, let's say it's released with OS 1.3 & 3.1 ROMs included and a supposed IP-holder comes out of the wood-work demanding payment?
It's possible (assuming they could be bothered) Apple (a big company) may say 'Get stuffed, we're not paying'.
We either get a test-case regarding who (if anybody) actually owns the rights which at the least will clear things up, or nobody complains in which case I presume 'the community' can regard the IP as 'lapsed' so 'free' to distribute.

Of course someone within Apple just might be induced to buy up said rights so putting the ROMs beyond us forever.
this is the most important point in this news..

i will download it... see whats going on and report...

this could get interesting!!
Old 20 April 2010, 22:12   #6
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I'd be amazed if he's legally allowed to do it.

1) Who is he going to license kickstart from?

2) Apple prevents emulators which can load data. That means any Amiga emulator will have to come with built in game images and cannot load anything else.
Old 20 April 2010, 22:18   #7
arnljot

1) can be solved

2) He clearly states that it´ll not be an open emmulator but a wrapper to licensed games.

Funny one that, as most pure game adfs wont work in an emmulator due to custom track loaders.

So, the demo he has is clearly a cracked version on IK+

Ironically that would mean that he needs rights not only from System3 but from the pirates too to use their crack code :
Old 20 April 2010, 23:56   #8
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

Is the same with the c64 emulator on the iphone, they even cut down basic for fear of people loading his own programs. And i think, what's a c64 emu withouh basic?????
Old 21 April 2010, 00:44   #9
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnljot View Post
Funny one that, as most pure game adfs wont work in an emulator due to custom track loaders.
I assume you meant :

"Funny one that, as most original games cannot be turned into an ADF due to custom track loaders."

You'd have to be nuts to buy an emulator for a phone or almost any device these days. There are so many devices out there which have an SDK with SDL and initial ports are getting pretty easy.

Jailbreak your iPhone and port something

Last edited by alexh; 21 April 2010 at 00:53.
Old 21 April 2010, 12:56   #10
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
"Funny one that, as most original games cannot be turned into an ADF due to custom track loaders."
He basically said exactly the same! And it's still wrong btw. Doesn't have anything to do with custom trackloaders but with custom disk formats. Custom trackloaders are used for standard ADOS disks too after all.
Old 21 April 2010, 13:00   #11
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Jailbreak your iPhone and port something
That is what we need.