English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 10 March 2007, 01:45   #1
DamienD
Banned

Paul; The Green Alien - "Tribute" thread...

Hello all,

I'm sure by now you have all read the tragic news about one of our beloved Global Moderators, Paul "The Green Alien" passing away

I'm sure that when I say that I was totally shocked and deeply saddened by the news I say this for all members of EAB...

For the limited time I have been on EAB, Paul has been an absolute inspiration. With his great "mod" qualities, cheerful attitude, friendly nature and his wonderfully detailed guides he has inspired all that read his posts and come in contact with him

Tonight there has been some major discussion on IRC involving many members to try to ascertain how best to remember our good friend who has given so much to the EAB community. Below is a list of things that we have come up with:

IMMEDIATELY
1) Sending a wreath.
2) Send a virtual e-card.

SECONDARY
1) Donating to the cause of which Paul suffered from.
2) Setting up a "Green Alien" foundation to help people who suffer from the same thing.
3) Setting up a living memorial.
4) Donating to a PayPal account in order to provide something beneficial to either Paul's family or the cause.
5) Every year we remember Paul on a special day (like his birthday) for the great person he was and make that day a very special / festive occasion on EAB. Woody57 suggested a Green Alien cartoon day ...hand drawn jokes ...as amateur as possible.
6) Toni (if he's up for it) releasing a "Paul" version of WinUAE every year on a certain date.
7) A signature collage of all the Amiga game characters we love the most around an A500 with Paul the Green Alien being the central character?
8) Hall of hero's, with a little bit about them and the scene they loved the most...
9) Make a small video where we find all of Paul's most amusing and wonderful posts. After each one is quoted on the screen, an image of an EAB member comes up (photo) with each of us holding a placard of some sort with a message and at the end a photo of Paul (if we can get one).
10) Change the logo for a month to "EAB misses Paul!".

Of course everything here is open for discussion and all suggestions are most welcome

Obviously with the "IMMEDIATELY" section we should try to get on top of this ASAP. The only underlying issues is somehow trying to get hold of an address to send the wreath to...

May I finsh off by saying the following:

... Paul rest in peace and know that your light will forever shine on in the hearts and minds of all EAB for eternity
Old 10 March 2007, 01:56   #2
DamienD
Banned

Actually mods, can you make this thread sticky so that it lives on for the duration of EAB?
Old 10 March 2007, 02:27   #3
HCF
Zone Friend

We could add a MIA sub-section in "Others" or "Main" for deceased EAB members. Moderators could create a thread in memoriam for members who have passed away...Mods set up a Yahrtzeit (spelling?) calendar for such members as you suggested under 5 similar to the birthday announcement.
Old 10 March 2007, 02:52   #4
lopos2000
Zone Friend

Not to be funny but, what did he suffer from?
Old 10 March 2007, 03:04   #5
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

How do we go about sending a wreath or a card? I think this needs to be done quickly.
Old 10 March 2007, 09:21   #6
keropi

I like the wreath idea and the #5, #8 and #10...
but we need to know the location to sent the wreath asap and a person in UK that will make it happen...
Old 10 March 2007, 10:05   #7
Wisp
Zone Friend

@ keropi

I agree and would be willing to contribute via paypal if one of the mods is able to set this up.
Old 10 March 2007, 10:18   #8
BippyM
Global Moderator

This was discussed on irc last night, first we will need an address to send the wreathe.

I myself or DamienD would be willing to handle this and naturally every penny would be spent and accounted for.

Let's hope Pauls mum comes back sometime and approves this gesture, though naturally her thoughts are more centred on her grieving her loss.
Old 10 March 2007, 10:48   #9
AMIGAZ
Amiga-Mad

Send a message via ICQ to AMIGAZ
I'm also in on the wreath idea and contribute with Paypal

We just have to figure out what we wanna have on the text on the wreath
Old 10 March 2007, 10:57   #10
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym
This was discussed on irc last night, first we will need an address to send the wreathe.
didn't Paul put his mark on Total-Emu's VBGooglemap
I cant use it, but maybe Ian can find it
Old 10 March 2007, 11:41   #11
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

It's at a sad time like this when you wish Forum Boards had compulsory address fields on registration so a wreath can be sent asap.

But the e-card is probably the best way to go at the moment. I'm sure Paul's mum would be more than willing to give the address if we asked somewhere on the e-card given how his mum knows of his treasured valuable time, hard work and commitment he gave to EAB.

With regards to other ideas, whichever we all decide on, I will be more than willing to go along with this. Although I definitely agree with 1 to 4, so much more needs to be looked into curing the illness that took Pauls life at such a young age.

Number 6) - getting Toni to do a WinUAE release in Pauls memory is a cool idea too. Maybe even renaming WinUAE to winPAULaga (swapped the au of uae or could keep same as Paul liked a laugh) and we all know what aga stands for - Amiga Green Alien.

An additional idea but a long shot: Like suggestion number 5), EAB members meeting up once a year for real to remember Paul. Video made for those that can't make it and uploaded.

Apart from that, I still can't believe I'm typing this. seems so surreal. Keep expecting Paul to log on any moment.
Old 10 March 2007, 15:13   #12
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by quahappy
But the e-card is probably the best way to go at the moment. I'm sure Paul's mum would be more than willing to give the address if we asked somewhere on the e-card given how his mum knows of his treasured valuable time, hard work and commitment he gave to EAB.
I agree with that. Sending the e-card, in the name of all EAB users, is the best thing to do. As soon as possible, of course.
Old 10 March 2007, 17:08   #13
Ian
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy
didn't Paul put his mark on Total-Emu's VBGooglemap
I cant use it, but maybe Ian can find it
It was Paul_S that put his location in.
Old 10 March 2007, 20:08   #14
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

We now have Pauls address. All those wishing to contribute please reply ASAP in this thread. Time is of the essence.
Old 10 March 2007, 20:09   #15
DamienD
Banned

Yes, most definitely
Old 10 March 2007, 20:15   #16
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Me too, of course.
Old 10 March 2007, 20:30   #17
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Of course, me too!
Old 10 March 2007, 20:33   #18
thor

Me too
Old 10 March 2007, 20:33   #19
thinlega
.:Part-Time Winner:.

Me!
Old 10 March 2007, 20:44   #20
BippyM
Global Moderator

I will naturally via paypal, though who is going to do this?