English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.aGTW

Old 01 August 2007, 10:30   #61
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Once again thanks for the update, very nice of you guys to get it all back together for us to play
Old 01 August 2007, 10:40   #62
BippyM
Global Moderator

excellent work

Work on the sequel can now be started
Old 01 August 2007, 13:00   #63
DamienD
Banned

Wow, that is indeed awesome news

Many thanks to you guys for all your hard work and look forward to playing it when it's released
Old 12 August 2007, 18:31   #64
Marlon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfy View Post
My name is Wilf, I'm one of the guys who put Electrek together, it was done with friends in York in my friend Chris Nodder's room where we all used to hang out, we called it Heworth Castle and our 'studio' was the HCCS, the Heworth Castle Creative Studios (or Cracking Squad dependent upon if we were creating new stuff or cracking other's).
Wilf! How you doing, Man? Look, it's WILF everybody! Mackoman here (ignore the devious "Marlon" ploy), the guy whom you helped survive Selby. Also one of Electrek's play-testers, ideas peeps and tea-drinkers, doncherknow.

I still have fond memories of your Dragon 32 versions of "Hunchback" and "Phoenix", remember them? What about your rather splendid ZX81 version of Frogger (complete with "moterway" spelling mistake)?

As for Pob tweaking a new version of Electrek; awesome news, been after a full version for years. I do remember finding some of Doobury's later levels impossible to complete back in the day, I'd just assumed it was me being a bit crap or something.

Life in Leeds treating you well? Checked out your Myspace page and it was cool to here your dulcet tones after all this time, though you still sound far too posh for a Selby boy. Not been to the Wendy-house myself for about two years, must sort that. Drop me an email sometime, Man, retrofreak90@hotmail.com.

*Edit* Just checked out the Youtube Electrek vids and I actually laughed out loud (or "LOL'ed" as I believe the yoof call it) at the mention of the one-bar electric fire we used to huddle around at the castle. Simpler times...

FINAL EDIT (honest, Guv)

Wilf, at the risk of stirring up a hornet's nest here, does Chris's rather spiffy version of 'Attack of the Mutant Camels' exist anywhere? I know it was never released.

---

Last edited by Marlon; 13 August 2007 at 03:50.
Old 12 August 2007, 22:48   #65
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

really thank you wilfy.
can't wait to see a new good amiga game!!!
Old 13 August 2007, 03:09   #66
Marlon

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican3 View Post
really thank you wilfy.
can't wait to see a new good amiga game!!!
And it is good, and that rarest of things; an original game concept (having to move and think in more than one plain).

Although it looks as though Nintendo's WII Paper Mario works on much the same principle, perhaps we can sue?
Old 13 August 2007, 10:14   #67
Wilfy
Exgraphicswhore

Hullo there Marlon/Mackoman, nice to hear from you, hope life treats you well!

Well, you've stirred some past memories of my past solo programming skills there, I'd pretty much forgotten all of that! Tho my 1k ZX81 pacman lives on in legends told thru song around campfires I'm told!

I've no clue about the Mutant Camels one, I do know it was finished and approved by Mr Minter himself, but we got a threatening letter from his lawyers so we decided we'd best keep it to ourselves! Still, proves we must have done a good accurate version, doesn't it?

If it still exists, I've no clue as to the logistics of being allowed to show it/share it in the modern age, basically we were gonna worry about that once this business was taken care of.

Speaking of which, I've pretty much decided to leave it up to Pob (Chris/Stoff - the man with too many nicknames!) now, I feel I've done all I can at my end, so just keep your fingers crossed for him!

Oh, and BTW, I'd be very interested to know the address of my Myspace page, as I don't have one! :s

And of course would be happy to see you at TheWendyhouse (dot org) any time, the next is on the next weekend I think.

Cheers, and as ever, I'll update when I get any new info!
Old 13 August 2007, 13:37   #68
Marlon

Quote:
Oh, and BTW, I'd be very interested to know the address of my Myspace page, as I don't have one! :s
My bad, it was a Youtube page (reached by clicking on your sig. after watching the Electrek vid). I blame the pot. One question; WHY AREN'T YOU AGEING, YEW BASTARD?

To prod your Dragon 32 nostalgia gland further, do you remember that you started mapping graphics for a two-player beat-em-up (after much nagging from me, having recently been blown away by arcade "Karate Champ" and "Yie Ar Kung-Fu"), but soon realised that the humble Dragon was never gonna manage such a game, especially one written in basic!?

Drop me an email, Man, to prevent none-Amiga related tedium from vexing fellow patrons. You know it makes sense.

Last edited by Marlon; 13 August 2007 at 19:21.
Old 12 September 2007, 10:02   #69
Wilfy
Exgraphicswhore

Hi remember me?

Sorry for the huge delay guys, I got involved in real life a bit too much and finally got around to prompting Chris a few days ago and basically it seems so did he, but he said this:

'Hi guys... Sorry it's been quiet. Been busy at work and organising our annual trip to France.
I actually finished the game some time ago, but haven't managed to get it into the right format for Aminet and such...Attached is the finished thing. It will work in most Amiga
emulators, and must be mounted as DF0: (first floppy drive). Please feel free to spread it around now (.adf format). I'm sure as soon as the guys on EAB get hold of it, it'll spread light wildfire anyhoo...
I'd post it on there myself, but I forgot my password !!! '

So I have it as an email attachment, 88mb, and I'll get the Shalroth onto doing something with it ASAP.

Apologies for the delay, hopefully won't be long now!
Old 12 September 2007, 14:36   #70
Graham Humphrey

Many thanks for the update and for all your hard work, it will be great to finally play this game
Old 12 September 2007, 15:00   #71
P-J

Good news about the game. Wilfy, you'll probably find if you just post a lump of stuff the wizards here will turn it into what ever format is required
Old 12 September 2007, 22:38   #72
Wilfy
Exgraphicswhore

Ok guys, help me out here, I have an .adf file, I can't upload it here nor on aminet and I have no idea how to get this out there, and the FAQ isn't helping, it only seems concerned with doing it the other way.

A little help?

Edit:

Sod it, thanks to the lovely Shalroth, we've got it on the interweb, download it from here: http://www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~issjche/Electrek.adf (copy and paste if needed) and whomever knows how to get this into Aminet format, please do!

Cheers!

Last edited by Wilfy; 12 September 2007 at 22:58. Reason: update
Old 12 September 2007, 22:48   #73
s2325
Zone Friend

try expload-upload.info, you don't need account
Old 12 September 2007, 23:35   #74
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfy View Post
Ok guys, help me out here, I have an .adf file, I can't upload it here nor on aminet and I have no idea how to get this out there, and the FAQ isn't helping, it only seems concerned with doing it the other way.
You should be able to upload it here. Do you have access to the Zone?

Regardless, I've downloaded it anyway. I'll try and get it into lha format for you so you can upload it to Aminet if you want.
Old 13 September 2007, 09:09   #75
Wilfy
Exgraphicswhore

Now on The Zone: http://eab.abime.net/zone.php cheers Graham, go for it guys!
Old 13 September 2007, 09:36   #76
Graham Humphrey

One problem - I can't get it to run from hard drive, I just get a black screen.
Old 13 September 2007, 09:47   #77
Wilfy
Exgraphicswhore

Yup, we wondered about that too, I would guess that's 'cos you gotta put it onto a disk as it's set to run from df0 on an actual Amiga, we had the same problem when it was backed up on the internal harddisk.
Old 13 September 2007, 09:49   #78
Graham Humphrey

Yeah, it runs fine from a floppy... I thought it may have needed an assign command so I tried that (I was trying to write a script to run it off HD) but no luck.
Old 13 September 2007, 09:59   #79
Wilfy
Exgraphicswhore

Aha! Well, that at least proves the fecker works!

Aye, I would assume, and I'm no programmer here, that Chris left it that way as that's how it was always meant to run, he's programmed it to still function as it always did and should on an Amiga if bought on a floppy, I would presume you would have to rewrite it a tad to get it to function directly from the hardrive and then presumably it wouldn't work from DF0?

All beyond my scope to help I'm afraid, I'd tell you to moan at Chris but evidently he's forgotten his password!

Hopefully someone can sort that for those that want it now they have the full working code to play with!?
Old 13 September 2007, 10:09   #80
girv
Mostly Harmless

A WHDLoad patch could be written of course, but it would be better to fix it to work from hard drive or floppy in the source and release a new version. It's tricky, but ultimately not too difficult to convert a hardware bangin' game to work under multitasking if you have the source code.