English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 27 October 2006, 19:37   #1
kirk
Zone Friend

my battle squadron original is dying,how to adf it

i have the pal original of battle squadron and cannot turn it into an adf,obviously i can turn the cracked version to adf but the cracked versions are ntsc and are not full screen,of course the screen can be stretched in winuae but the onscreen graphics are not in proportion and sprites too large therbye reducing visible graphics/scale of scenery on screen.
this may sound trivial but try running the pal original retail version and then one of the cracked versions and be struck how much better the former is,native full screen,smaller sprites and far more background scenery/graphics visible onscreen at once.
can anyone suggest how i can turn my original pal release version into an adf,i use amiga explorer via null modem to my old A1200 and have no problems with most disks but this one is protected and i want to back it up before the disk dies(ive had it for 16 years after all and have no backups of it cos none of my old amiga copiers,xcopy,nibbler etc ever managed to back it up,although a friend of mine managed to copy his original many years ago using a copier prog called hercules.i have never managed to find this prog since.i did have it on a copier disk once upon a time but that disk died many years ago).
i paid full price for this game and deserve to be able to back it up before the disk dies,which could be any day now.
my ideal scenario is to be able to download it from somewhere,but all the sites i know only carry the inferior cracked version.
i know its an old game but i believe its still one of the finest vertical shooters on any system,and way better than the crap megadrive port that came out later.its one of a handfull of my fave amiga games i still play to this day,my orginal of leander died 6 years ago(many of the cracked versions had a collision detection problem on later levels),only my original of battle squadron(pal) and z-out survive(z-out has all of my old scores saved to the game disk,and i need to copy this to adf also,but again,it is protected).
cheers
Old 27 October 2006, 20:53   #2
pbareges

don't worry ! your battle squadron release is for sure preserved by the software preservation society - SPS (www.sotpres.org)

you must contact them (cf http://www.softpres.org/faq:imaging_disks) to know how to make images and get imaging tools from them...

these images are not adf but ipf because adf format can't handle protection schemes... ipfs are largely supported either in uae (for emulation) or in whdload imaging tools (for use on real amigas with hard drive - whdload battle squadron install supports PAL version).

as KG's website is down since a while you may ask him to post whdload version in the zone to avoid having to image your disk and then install it through whdload to your 1200 hd.

good luck and don't worry - you will surely find leander and any other game you lost in the SPS database, or will at least be able to enjoy it again through whdload.
Old 03 November 2006, 04:19   #3
gizmomelb

was meaning to report this for ages - and I'll have to chase up which version it was (PAL or NTSC) but the last time I tried Battle Squadron with WinUAE 1.3.2 (and A500 100% configuration) all of the sprites were behind the background, making the game unplayable.
Old 03 November 2006, 10:45   #4
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
use rawread ^^ you could maybe image Z-out ^^ !
Old 03 November 2006, 15:42   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmomelb
was meaning to report this for ages - and I'll have to chase up which version it was (PAL or NTSC) but the last time I tried Battle Squadron with WinUAE 1.3.2 (and A500 100% configuration) all of the sprites were behind the background, making the game unplayable.
Never seen this and Battle Squadron is one of my statefile test games (because it uses copper sprite tricks to display score)
Old 07 November 2006, 15:44   #6
spiff
Oh noes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen
Never seen this and Battle Squadron is one of my statefile test games (because it uses copper sprite tricks to display score)
Got the same problem and I did some minor digging:
The problem is present for me running the latest version, running default A500 (quick) config and the cracked version of battle squadron. The IPF works just fine under the same config.

Last edited by spiff; 17 October 2020 at 15:03.
Old 07 November 2006, 16:27   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff
Got the same problem and I did some minor digging:
The problem is present for me running the latest version, running default A500 (quick) config and the cracked version of battle squadron. The IPF works just fine under the same config.
Real A500 confirmed. Another "AGA fixed" game that breaks OCS/ECS compatibility..