English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 26 January 2024, 22:18   #1
Fenris

Error 205 when saving

Hi, I get an "Error #205 object not found on deleting/writing file "save/1" when running Cannon Fodder as WHD.
Saving the game, hitting F10 and then I get the message.

I would assume it's missing a "save" folder in the game folder or does hit depend on anything else, any hints ?
Old 27 January 2024, 01:27   #2
daxb

Which slave version? http://whdload.de/games/CannonFodder.html
Old 27 January 2024, 19:07   #3
Fenris

Need to double check, but I'm pretty sure it's 2.0, the latest.
I've used the WHD download tool.
Old 28 January 2024, 14:24   #4
daxb

Then you may need to reinstall or get an up to date pre-install.
Old 28 January 2024, 15:37   #5
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Did you extract it with 7zip by any chance ?
The empty Save folder in data dir extracts as a zero byte file not as a folder if you do that.
Old 29 January 2024, 09:31   #6
derSammler

I saw many websites offering WHDLoad-installed games where the folder "save" is actually a 0-byte file (inside the archive already, not when extracting). So these can never work, as they were not correctly installed/packed/uploaded.

Also, many WHDLoad installers create dummy files for all possible save slots. These are often missing, too. Probably because when newer slaves are released, these people just drop the new slave into the already installed game and won't even notice that a proper re-install of the game would be needed.

If in doubt, just install the game yourself. Unless you play the games for just a few minutes, you will find all kind of issues with those "ready-to-run" WHDLoad games. In any case, avoid whdownload.com
Old 01 February 2024, 19:16   #7
Fenris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroplay View Post
Did you extract it with 7zip by any chance ?
The empty Save folder in data dir extracts as a zero byte file not as a folder if you do that.

Nope, not extracted, I didn't just put all the archives in the sd card and the run on real HW, and I'm using iGame as a frontend.
So far no particular issues with other games, besides some bug here and there (for example I can't find a fully working WHD on Heimdall 2, I always encounter that turtle bug towards the end)

I'm afraid it might be as @derSammler says, which is a pity for those games who do not have HD install option, so you need to rely on ADF files for running them, I mean, not a big deal but yeah, kind of annoying sometimes.
Old 01 February 2024, 19:42   #8
derSammler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
so you need to rely on ADF files for running them, I mean, not a big deal but yeah, kind of annoying sometimes.
You don't. Just download the slave from the WHDLoad website and install the game yourself. The disk images needed should be available for pretty much any game that has a WHDLoad slave.

If you are a more experienced user, you can also just look at the WHDLoad install script to see what it does for save-game support and do that manually on a f*cked up install.

For Cannon Fodder, it's really just a folder "save" within "data". If there is a *file* named "save" instead, delete that and create a folder with that name. Saving should work then.
Old 01 February 2024, 20:20   #9
Aardvark

Retroplay's WHDLoad packages doesn't have this problem if you extract them in Amiga. https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php...roplay+whdload
Old 01 February 2024, 21:53   #10
Fenris

Quote:
Originally Posted by derSammler View Post
You don't. Just download the slave from the WHDLoad website and install the game yourself. The disk images needed should be available for pretty much any game that has a WHDLoad slave.

For Cannon Fodder, it's really just a folder "save" within "data". If there is a *file* named "save" instead, delete that and create a folder with that name. Saving should work then.

I haven't tried myself yet, but I'll definitely check this option out