English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 17 February 2010, 19:23   #1
Photon

uae-configuration warpmode settings don't invoke warp mode.

What the title says.

I'm also curious as to if there are more settings to warpmode than gfx_framerate=10, and if there are settings for cpu, cycle exact cpu/chipset, cpu freq, immediate blits etc that it is incompatible with.
Old 20 February 2010, 16:32   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
What the title says.
Yes, it is broken. Fixed later in 2.0.2 betas (I am going to do one not so small configuration handling change)

Quote:
I'm also curious as to if there are more settings to warpmode than gfx_framerate=10, and if there are settings for cpu, cycle exact cpu/chipset, cpu freq, immediate blits etc that it is incompatible with.
What do you exactly want to do?
Old 20 February 2010, 16:43   #3
Photon

Hehe, nothing special. I just want to make sure that if I go warp mode I don't leave some other setting related to speed in some value which could cause problems in warp mode.

What I would like to do is to set an A500 cycle exact emulation which is default, and at the start of s-sequence go non-cycle exact, fastest possible, and immediate blitter + warpmode, and at the end of s-seq go back to perfect cycle exact emulation.
Old 21 February 2010, 11:41   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
What I would like to do is to set an A500 cycle exact emulation which is default, and at the start of s-sequence go non-cycle exact, fastest possible, and immediate blitter + warpmode, and at the end of s-seq go back to perfect cycle exact emulation.
Warp + non-cycle exact should be fast enough. Fastest possible should be about same as non-fastest + warp anyway and immediate blitter really won't have any effect at all. (at least during normal OS boot)
Old 21 February 2010, 19:12   #5
Photon

Yes, it is indeed fast.

Boot times for ClassicWB: (approx)

Warp - CPU-timing - Chipset - Blitter = Boot time (s)
Off - Exact - nonexact - immediate = 11
Off - Fastest - nonexact - immediate = 4
On - Fastest - nonexact - immediate = 1
Old 28 February 2010, 16:16   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

"uae-configuration warp true" works in latest beta. (or warp=true in config file)
Old 28 February 2010, 17:21   #7
Photon

Hey, great news! Will try immediately...
Old 28 February 2010, 17:56   #8
Photon

At first I got the usual 'uae-configuration failed returncode 20' when executed from the s-seq, and the usual 'no effect' when typed manually from CLI.

So I turned on logging and saved the config and Quit. (To start it again and give you a bootlog.) And lo and behold, it worked

The only thing I did first time was to replace winuae.exe (and .fx files, just because they were in the archive) and double-click winuae.exe+Start in Quickstart panel. Then I manually added harddrive directory and changed to kick 3.1, and Reset, and got the error.

Enabled logging, saved config, Quit.

Second time I just double-clicked winuae.exe, double-clicked the config, and it worked.

I'm very happy since it is fixed, if you feel interested in finding out what the difference between the two startups is I attached some files.

Grrrreat Toni

ps. Maybe it fails when there is no warp entry in the 'config file memory structure' (or if you use a temporary file for it), so it can't change the value? But when a config is saved with the fixed beta, an entry is there. Maybe this is the same for other new entries, f.ex. changes you made lately in Display/Filter settings?

If you can confirm this, it could be a good tip to always delete all previously created configs as soon as you upgrade?

Or if you could confirm that a re-save of a '1 day old' config with the new version will make the proper changes?

Only theory of course.

I will now set warp=true in the config file and see if it speeds up the reset/boot cycle... I'm on pins and needles here
Attached Files
File Type: uae warptest.uae (13.1 KB, 208 views)
File Type: txt winuaebootlog.txt (11.9 KB, 240 views)
File Type: txt winuaelog.txt (7.7 KB, 237 views)
Old 28 February 2010, 18:20   #9
Photon

Indeed it does

Edit: On next reboot it's gone until s-seq executes of course. But ClassicWB loading in 1.3 seconds from 'Winuae Shortcut pressed' is more than ample compensation for this gargantuan letdown... höhö...

Bonus happy elefant image

Last edited by Photon; 28 February 2010 at 18:38.
Old 01 March 2010, 20:49   #10
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Edit: On next reboot it's gone until s-seq executes of course
I think keyboard "reset warning" feature can be used to run uae-configuration before system is reset. ExecuteOnReset (aminet) seems to do that. (make sure KB reset warning is ticked in adv. chipset panel)
Old 02 March 2010, 01:32   #11
Photon

Ah. Seems nice a very handy app - will it work the same on real Amigas?

If so, I might keep it as a problem-solver for some future expansion-thingy maybe. But I had a think about it, and I think warp=true in the config and a warpmode toggle bound to a key is easy and okay.
Old 02 March 2010, 08:22   #12
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Ah. Seems nice a very handy app - will it work the same on real Amigas?
Of course it does (not all models, mainly A500 does not support it), did you check the date of the utility?
Old 02 March 2010, 20:17   #13
Photon

You mean: "It's made in 2000, so ofc no backwards compatibility"? Or what do you mean