English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 04 March 2018, 00:29   #1
Starglider 2

Did Commodore ever make computer speakers?

I'm looking for some suitably retro speakers for my home retrogaming museum. Did Commodore ever make any? I can't find anything online.

– Chris aka youtube.com/Perifractic
Old 04 March 2018, 00:33   #2
BarryB
Amigaholic

I have a pair of Commodore A10 Speakers I use on my PC, they are pretty good for just stereo speakers!

Old 04 March 2018, 00:37   #3
Starglider 2

Interesting! Now I can find info! Nothing on eBay strangely. Thanks!
Old 04 March 2018, 01:20   #4
idrougge

The later-era (Escom/Tulip) Commodore made some PC speakers.
Old 04 March 2018, 01:25   #5
Starglider 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
The later-era (Escom/Tulip) Commodore made some PC speakers.
Any idea of model numbers? I'm only into them if they retained the Commodore logo (and sounded good). I need to avoid the small audio lag on the XRGB Mini by connecting separate speakers. It doesn't normally bother me, except when playing music on my Commodore Music Maker 2 red.
Old 04 March 2018, 04:17   #6
dannyp1

I have had A-10 speakers in the past and wasn't happy with the sound. They are kind of cool if you just want something C= to display with your set-up but if the sound of them matters to you, you will be wasting your $. I have never owned or seen the Escom speakers. The A-10's can be a little expensive because you normally only see them on EBay maybe once or twice a year.
Old 04 March 2018, 04:18   #7
Starglider 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp1 View Post
I have had A-10 speakers in the past and wasn't happy with the sound. They are kind of cool if you just want something C= to display with your set-up but if the sound of them matters to you, you will be wasting your $. I have never owned or seen the Escom speakers. The A-10's can be a little expensive because you normally only see them on EBay maybe once or twice a year.
Good to know. Sound does matter to me.
Old 04 March 2018, 18:42   #8
BarryB
Amigaholic

@dannyp1: I think for a set of small speakers the A10's I have sound great! They have a Treble Boost and DXBB (think that's for bass/loudness as pressing it boosts the sound) and have survived over 25 years on my various PC upgrades and still sound great

They are also re-badged Labtec CS-150 speakers!
Old 04 March 2018, 19:16   #9
Starglider 2

Hmm know I don't know what to do!
Old 04 March 2018, 19:50   #10
Amiga4000

The A10's were great sounding speakers when you hit the boost button! But I had "other" desktop speakers... I think I used the A10's like twice. I sold the brand new set about 12 years ago for $10 on fleabay. I think the listing lasted a whole hour. S-T-U-P-I-D! Wish I still had them! * Yes, for conversation pieces/aesthetics /they're cute sitting on an A500

*EDIT

BTW, SG2, Nice garage!!!! You need a classic bike/car/both sitting in the shot!

Last edited by Amiga4000; 05 March 2018 at 07:23.
Old 04 March 2018, 20:41   #11
zipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
I have a pair of Commodore A10 Speakers I use on my PC, they are pretty good for just stereo speakers!
They are rebadged Labtecs.

http://scacom.bplaced.net/Collection/10/10.php
Old 04 March 2018, 20:44   #12
dannyp1

Well you are getting different opinions. I have had A10 speakers twice and sold them both times. Believe me if I had thought their sound was even close to other speakers I have I would have kept them. When I play MP3's I want to enjoy them, not just hear them. I now normally use Altec-Lansing ACS40 speakers. They are not too big and are easy and cheap to find on EBay or at garage sales or thrift shops. The A10's were made to use with Commodore monitors that started coming without internal speakers so the sound you get is comparable to monitor sound. I also notice that when you see A10's for sale it is not unusual that they still have the original box. Does this maybe tell you that they weren't out of the box very long? Anyway I would not recommend them if you want to enjoy your Amiga's sound. If you want them to look neat sitting with your Amiga set-up I would say get some. That was my intention the second time I bought a pair but the drop-off in sound quality wasn't worth the cool look to me in the end.
Old 04 March 2018, 20:47   #13
dannyp1

Pick up some cheap Labtecs for a buck or two and you will have your answer.
Old 05 March 2018, 02:59   #14
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

You've got a lot of retro stuff in you retro cave. Put there a small good branded&small or Hi-Fi or some modern pc speakers instead and use the best cables you can find to connect them all. If you search for something small with high quality sound, BOSE is perfect for what I've seen.

The best possible sound is of course only available with a high quality equipment (IMHO). I also told you by email that I recommend to use a Sid2FX to have a wonderful stereo sound from the C=.

Stick some C= logos to the speaker/s if you like afterwards.

You also will like to take a look at Maddi's setup in two parts:

[ Show youtube player ]

In my case, I'm using now my 5.1 PC speakers that sound nice, but I'm not sure if the small Sony player from the 90's that I also use will get a better sound from the C=. Remember that you aren't either connecting a turntable Technics 1200, so I wouldn't buy a Bang & Olufsen to connect a C64, but well... if you've got the money

Last edited by Retrofan; 05 March 2018 at 03:17.
Old 05 March 2018, 08:54   #15
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
All those speakers that were sold under Commodore were rebranded 3rd party speakers. I have pair of Encore with Commodore logo, and they are really bad.
Old 05 March 2018, 10:12   #16
Tyball

I've had these

http://www.richardlagendijk.nl/cip/m...er_system_2/nl

...and sold them. Although the sound was okay, there was a lot of crackling when changing the volume. Also, a quiet whine/hum which I couldn't get rid of.
They looked very cool though.

Currently, I have a '90s integrated stereo amplifier hooked up. I'm keeping my eyes open for speakers that fit the era.
Old 08 March 2018, 20:35   #17
BarryB
Amigaholic

I must have got the only pair of C= speakers that actually sound any good then
Old 09 March 2018, 01:51   #18
Starglider 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
You've got a lot of retro stuff in you retro cave. Put there a small good branded&small or Hi-Fi or some modern pc speakers instead and use the best cables you can find to connect them all. If you search for something small with high quality sound, BOSE is perfect for what I've seen.

The best possible sound is of course only available with a high quality equipment (IMHO). I also told you by email that I recommend to use a Sid2FX to have a wonderful stereo sound from the C=.

Stick some C= logos to the speaker/s if you like afterwards.

You also will like to take a look at Maddi's setup in two parts:

[ Show youtube player ]

In my case, I'm using now my 5.1 PC speakers that sound nice, but I'm not sure if the small Sony player from the 90's that I also use will get a better sound from the C=. Remember that you aren't either connecting a turntable Technics 1200, so I wouldn't buy a Bang & Olufsen to connect a C64, but well... if you've got the money
Nice ideas! I ordered these as I want something that blends into the white and is small. They have good reviews!

Earise AL-101 3.5mm Mini Computer Speakers, Powered by USB (White) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LMV67LW..._DJDOAbGDKZ6WM

I did place a Commodore logo on my 28" Samsung TV though!
Old 09 March 2018, 08:07   #19
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyball View Post
I've had these

http://www.richardlagendijk.nl/cip/m...er_system_2/nl

...and sold them. Although the sound was okay, there was a lot of crackling when changing the volume. Also, a quiet whine/hum which I couldn't get rid of.
Yes, I also have these, very crappy Encore clone.
And very ugly in my eyes.