English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 16 February 2015, 15:03   #1
amigakit.com

A-EON Technology acquires OctaMED

A-EON Technology Ltd is pleased to announce that it has concluded the purchase of the source code and exclusive rights to develop, publish and distribute MED, OctaMED and OctaMED SoundStudio for the AmigaOS and Amiga-inspired operating systems, including MorphOS, AROS and emulation from the current owner Ray Burt Frost. As part of the sale agreement A-EON has the exclusive right to use the MED, OctaMED and OctaMED SoundStudio in all product marketing, promotion and branding for AmigaOS and Next-Generation AmigaOS inspired versions including emulation.

Read More Here

PDF News Release
Old 17 February 2015, 17:16   #2
HardStep

Good news, another definitive piece of Amiga software for sure. I did use OSS a lot back in a day. Also later tried to get the clockport Delfina to work with it but with no success, although it should have been possible. Hopefully soundcard support will be improved for classics as well.

What was the deal with and legal status of OSS v2? I remember there was a demo available ~2000.
Old 17 February 2015, 17:28   #3
klx300r

Happy

Old 17 February 2015, 21:13   #4
gunni

Send a message via ICQ to gunni
Old 18 February 2015, 07:56   #5
wXR

Not interesting unless you open source it.
Old 19 February 2015, 13:13   #6
Firthy2002
2nd era...

Send a message via ICQ to Firthy2002 Send a message via AIM to Firthy2002 Send a message via MSN to Firthy2002 Send a message via Yahoo to Firthy2002
I remember messing around with a demo version of OSSv1 back in the day.
Old 21 February 2015, 15:24   #7
Amiga1992

How is this good news? Acquiring sounds like "we'll be making this even more closed and enforcing our copyright more". Probably not a good thing for the tracker community, but it remains to be seen.

They should work on a Windows/Mac/Linux version while they are at it.
Old 21 February 2015, 15:24   #8
wilshy

Very nice. I'll be interested what you have in store for this to bring it up to date.
Old 21 February 2015, 15:27   #9
wilshy

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1997...medstudio.html

A blast from the past
Old 21 February 2015, 20:01   #10
adrdesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
How is this good news? Acquiring sounds like "we'll be making this even more closed and enforcing our copyright more". Probably not a good thing for the tracker community, but it remains to be seen.

They should work on a Windows/Mac/Linux version while they are at it.
Totally agree. I really hope they won´t remove the freeware version from aminet and other sites like they did with PPaint...
Old 21 February 2015, 20:09   #11
ascp
Pastafarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrdesign View Post
Totally agree. I really hope they won´t remove the freeware version from aminet and other sites like they did with PPaint...
Company decides to buy, and in the future update a program. Cheapskate grumpy Amiga user goes: Oh, but I had an old version for free, and I don't want that to change, even if I can keep the old free version forever.. because.... it would be terrible if someone else get updated versions, and decides to pay for it -- because,, because... .

Or something irrational like that.

Be glad that there's anyone investing in Amiga in 2015. How can that not be a wonderful thing.
Old 21 February 2015, 21:46   #12
adrdesign

That´s childish. Amiga market is dead, I only need an amiga company for parts and new hardware. Im using OctaMED since 1994, have mastered it, and it is perfect as is.

The same for the Amiga Market app like. Cammy had the idea and some others borrow it... thats amiga story: making easy money about the name and the other´s work.

That´s why we have to pay for a 20 years old ROM. It sucks. Wont discuss.
Old 21 February 2015, 21:55   #13
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan View Post
Be glad that there's anyone investing in Amiga in 2015. How can that not be a wonderful thing.
The classic "I didn't think it through" Amiga zealotry reply.

Of course it is BAD if old versions get removed! Especially since newer versions might not even support old machines like A500s. At this point this is speculation though. DigiBooster is available for free for older versions, but paid for newer ones. PersonalPaint went the way of the shit as ADR says and removed all old versions like assholes.

It's not like they are going back and update any of the classic versions, and it's not even like they say are supporting even more hardware.

So yeah, you didn't think that post through.
Old 21 February 2015, 22:10   #14
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
The classic "I didn't think it through" Amiga zealotry reply.

Of course it is BAD if old versions get removed! Especially since newer versions might not even support old machines like A500s. At this point this is speculation though. DigiBooster is available for free for older versions, but paid for newer ones. PersonalPaint went the way of the shit as ADR says and removed all old versions like assholes.

It's not like they are going back and update any of the classic versions, and it's not even like they say are supporting even more hardware.

So yeah, you didn't think that post through.
do you ever get the feeling someone is trying to flog a dead horse with all these software/IP rights/etc acquisitions of late?
Old 21 February 2015, 23:24   #15
ascp
Pastafarian

Yes, were probally all doomed now,
as A-EON are going to make zillions of bucks on OctaMED soon to the hordes of us Amiga users out there.
And.. what if... we have to PAY for an updated version. That would be the worst thing... like.. ever.

Akira, you can still get Personal Paint 7.1c from A-EON for free so whats the problem? http://www.ppaint.com/
Bottom of page.
Old 22 February 2015, 02:14   #16
Amiga1992

You confuse people's contempt for companies buying old IP that was fine left alone with people being cheapskates.

As I said, if they would release a modern version for a modern OS, I would gladly get into that.
Old 22 February 2015, 05:12   #17
B14ck W01f
m68k all the way

So you are going to make the freeware SoundStudio now shareware? Screw you, A-EON. Do yourself a favor and stick with producing new Amiga PPC machines if they mean so much to you!

Last edited by B14ck W01f; 22 February 2015 at 06:41.
Old 22 February 2015, 12:30   #18
tolkien
AmigaMan

I guess old version will continue being free and will have to pay for new versions. What is the problem? I think there is no problem with this.
Old 22 February 2015, 12:36   #19
Reido

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolkien View Post
I guess old version will continue being free and will have to pay for new versions. What is the problem? I think there is no problem with this.
Right on!
Old 22 February 2015, 12:45   #20
ascp
Pastafarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolkien View Post
Totally agree. I don't know why, but amongst Amiga users there's always a few that tends to see problems everywhere.