English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 16 August 2017, 21:36   #1
Amigamerlin

Amilator (Was: FS-UAE Standalone like Amithlon)

Hello you all,
Remembering Amithlon this request is for Frode Solheim.

Since Amithlon was born and dead just after, can FS-UAE be modified to work like Amithlon?

I'm an old and nostalgic Amiga Fan and, like me, I can guess that a lot of user want to build notebook or netbook Amiga based.

Thanks for your answer and for the time you will dedicate to me for the answer.

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 16 October 2017 at 19:52. Reason: notifica
Old 02 September 2017, 22:45   #2
Falke_34

You can test this: https://www.ppa.pl/forum/winuae-uae-...-boot-2-fs-uae
Old 03 September 2017, 08:47   #3
ptyerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigamerlin View Post
Hello you all,
Remembering Amithlon this request is for Frode Solheim.

Since Amithlon was born and dead just after, can FS-UAE be modified to work like Amithlon?

I'm an old and nostalgic Amiga Fan and, like me, I can guess that a lot of user want to build notebook or netbook Amiga based.

Thanks for your answer and for the time you will dedicate to me for the answer.
E-UAE can so FS-UAE should too. I don't use FS-UAE so can't tell you for sure, but X-Amiga uses E-UAE as its engine and I use that without problems, I also find it better than Amithlon because it has full chipset support as well as RTG.
Fiddly to set up and you will have to edit some text files but good once working.
Old 03 September 2017, 12:14   #4
Falke_34

X-Amiga?
Where can I find it / download it?
Old 03 September 2017, 13:24   #5
nobody

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0C...NGTzNTVFU/view
Old 03 September 2017, 17:30   #6
Amigamerlin

Hello you all an thanks for the answers. I just downloaded and installed all according guide but after the boot I have a message : NOTIFY_USER MSG #2 for 4 seconds then black screen.
Hitting F12 Emulator is running, I can see FS-UAE interface. Anyone can help? What's I'm doing wrongly?
Thanks !!!
Old 03 September 2017, 18:58   #7
Amigamerlin

OMG WORKS !!! I've found the miskate (missing rom.key).

BTW I'm still get the NOTIFY_USER MSG #2.
Anyone can explain NOTIFY_USER MSG #2?
Is there any table reference for NOTIFY_USER MSG?

I can't belive that I'm running again Amiga !!! .... I'm just start crying !!!

I hope Amilator author will improve it adding a Boingball (or Juggler) at the boot meantime system is loading.
Anyway FS-UAE is the BEST Amiga emulator around. Thanks Frode Solheim (I'll make a donation to him, I want to offer him a bier )

I'll try to install it in a real HD so I can have real working machine.

PS. Anyone knows if the author of Amilator is present in this forum?

Thanks you you all !!!
Old 03 September 2017, 22:29   #8
ptyerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falke_34 View Post
X-Amiga?
Where can I find it / download it?
Unfortunately X-Amiga was abandoned at the end of 2007, a real shame as it's better than Amithlon in my opinion. Cloanto based their KXlight distro off of it.
The web site also disappeared a few year ago but it can still be found on web.archive.org here: https://web.archive.org/web/20081010...:80/index.html
Don't know if the download links still work but you should be able to find it with a google search if not. The ISO may be on the EAB ftp already if you look around, but if not I will put it on there sometime.
Old 03 September 2017, 23:57   #9
Amigamerlin

Seems that Amilator is based on FS-UAE 2.8.2.
Anyone know how to update FS-UAE to the last version?

I know that maybe is better asking to the Amilator author but seems he is not present as members of this board (I searched for in the member list) .

Anyone can invite him to join this board (I don't speak Polski)?
Can be really great discuss with him the improvement.

Bye
Old 04 September 2017, 09:41   #10
nobody

I tried amilator on my laptop, it's starting but no audio. I get something like "OPENAL: cannot start audio device". The performance is similar to newer Winuae so you need a good PC to run it. How the hell you change floppies on fs-uae?
Old 04 September 2017, 18:41   #11
Amigamerlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
I tried amilator on my laptop, it's starting but no audio. I get something like "OPENAL: cannot start audio device". The performance is similar to newer Winuae so you need a good PC to run it. How the hell you change floppies on fs-uae?
I think Amilator should use the last Debian/Ubuntu Kernel to support all the driver. I just tested it in an old Latitude D610 and all is working audio too.

Quote:
How the hell you change floppies on fs-uae?
I'm using an harddirs so no floppy. Anyway in the configuration file amiga-1200.fs-uae I've enabled DF0 with juggled.adf and copied juggler.adf in the floppies drawer and now I'm able to mount juggler.adf using F12
Old 04 September 2017, 22:58   #12
AMIGASYSTEM

Made a little test with Amilator and I must say that it is very fast, i did not understand how to configure the network, but my AFA OS works fine, see video.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 05 September 2017, 01:20   #13
MartinW

I had a play about with this today. I'm torn - it's impressive and something I was after a while ago, and yet it falls short and I find it frustrating. Mostly because it is old.

Before I go any further, it seems that 'apt-get update && apt-get upgrade' as well as updating FS-UAE (which it does a bit) also breaks the system. It didn't boot for me after that.

The rest of this is probably not really targeted at the author of Amilator as such, more that Debian and Linux in general has changed a lot and I can't work stuff out! I had a bit of a hard time getting the USB stick to boot since my system is a Skylake system (very modern) but it does support fallback to booting non-efi devices, I just need to go into the BIOS menu every time to do it. Not the end of the world.

The real killer for me is that I can't work out how to get a better resolution out of it. My suspicion is that my GTX1080 is way too new however that's not a problem in itself. If only I could tell Linux to stick to 1024x768 or 1280x1024 then it will look pretty good and just have black borders. My monitor is 2560x1080 but it actually has a special side by side mode that works extremely well with 2 x 1280x1024 inputs. But try as I might I can't work out where to tell X to stick to 1280x1024 and not try to go any higher. To add insult to injury, I can't work out where grub is either.

I'm sure these are all solvable things but really it needs an update I think. Other than that, I was quite impressed. Having dissected it a bit I reckon I could probably produce something pretty much the same, but more recent, I just simply don't have the time.
Old 05 September 2017, 09:45   #14
AMIGASYSTEM

In any case from Workbench preferences you can set any resolutioni tried to set my TV on 48"" on a resolution 1900x900 see screenshot.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 16 September 2017 at 01:26.
Old 05 September 2017, 10:30   #15
nobody

The best of all is stripped windows (no load screens etc) with a frontend starting on boot to choose Winuae configuration and plug and play USB and CD support. Linux is too much a mess for normal users to change things and make them work.
Old 05 September 2017, 11:10   #16
AMIGASYSTEM

WinUAE is definitely the best choice, great configuration options but that I know at the moment there is no way to start it directly from PC.

This is WinUAE on TV 48""

Old 05 September 2017, 11:22   #17
MartinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
In any case from Workbench preferences you can set any resolutioni tried to set my TV on 48"" on a resolution 1900x900 see screenshot.
Unfortunately that doesn't help in my case. I was trying OS4.1 which means I'm limited to Picasso IV 4MB. Using UAEGfx is not supported with PPC yet. This means that 1024x768 is the highest resolution that I can get at 16M colours which is why I was trying to get linux to run at that. Whatever I tried I could not prevent FS-UAE from upscaling 1024x768 to the entire 2560x1080 screen which looked terrible. This was a shame because the OS ran well.

Quote:
The best of all is stripped windows (no load screens etc) with a frontend starting on boot to choose Winuae configuration and plug and play USB and CD support. Linux is too much a mess for normal users to change things and make them work.
Is there a free or very cheap version of Windows that can be used? W10 is a lot of money to run on a USB stick.
Old 05 September 2017, 11:42   #18
Locutus

Just use nodm and stick fs-uae in ~/.xinitrc and be done with it, not rocket science
Old 05 September 2017, 12:20   #19
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinW View Post
I was trying OS4.1 which means I'm limited to Picasso IV 4MB. Using UAEGfx is not supported with PPC yet..
I do not know if I understood well, OS4.1 emulated supports UAEGfx

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 05 September 2017, 13:23   #20
MartinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
I do not know if I understood well, OS4.1 emulated supports UAEGfx
Thank you - I did not know to go to the expansions option so that might help in WinUAE. It is not supported in FS-UAE (yet). Selecting any UAE device such as Folder based drives or UAEGfx will result in an error on boot telling you that UAE ROM is not compatible with PPC based OS. I assume support will arrive at some point.

@Locutus - I will look into nodm. If that sets the X resolution then we're golden.