English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 09 January 2009, 08:42   #1
Nostalgeek
OT Whore

A simple request...

Hello coding gurus!

I have a simple request and I'm actually looking for an approval from you guys.

I decided 2 days ago to get back to coding...something I didn't do since....10 years. I was about 16 or 17 years old, learned the basics of C by myself (never followed any lessons). I had some mid+ BASIC skills already. At the time, my C knowledge was already like a swiss cheese, so imagine what it is 10 years after without any single bit of practicing

My request is simple. Would you guys mind if I open my very own topic in this area of the board to ask C questions when I encounter problems? I'm restarting from the very scratch. I am now trying to get a perfect grip of tables and pointers at this very moment, and actually it's not going too bad I just know that I'll have a few questions here and there I won't be able to find answers to by googling or will not be able to find a satisfying one.

Why here and not a C-newbies dedicated board may you ask? Because this community already proved to be one hell of a nice, helpful, mature and on top of that - skilled community, and if I have questions, I know I'd love you guys to answer to them.

Therefore this post, in order to get a kind of acknowledgment, because what I'm asking is basically not this board's very first purpose.

PS: if you have any recommended resources, top quality C lessons on the web and stuff, I'd be pleased to get your comments!
Old 09 January 2009, 08:52   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgeek View Post
My request is simple. Would you guys mind if I open my very own topic in this area of the board to ask C questions when I encounter problems?
Didn't you just did that? No, absolutely no problem mate
You should also look for some documentation on the AmigaOS libraries and the like I only had a short look, but C coding on the Amiga is different to code it on a PC (to some degree). However best of luck that you get into it again
Old 09 January 2009, 08:58   #3
Nostalgeek
OT Whore

OMG THAT LITTLE GREEN CHTULHU IS EVERYWHERE AARGH!!

Thanks TCD Are you coding yourself?

Well, yes I opened a topic, but I'd really be sure it's all ok before actually asking questions. Because if everybody did the same, it could also very much turn the board into a havoc that is not its first purpose
Old 09 January 2009, 09:04   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Thanks TCD Are you coding yourself?
Yup, for a living But I have almost zero coding expierence on the Miggy (well I don't count AmigaBASIC as coding ). I tried to get my head round ASM last year, but that's just too far away from what I do everyday and I like gaming too much as I want to invest really much time into it (I know I'm a lazy git ).

This is what coder's heaven is for : Ask questions about coding on the Amiga. So everything is fine Guess you plan to do something with your new skills later on?
Old 09 January 2009, 09:26   #5
Nostalgeek
OT Whore

For a living? Cool! (well depends...maybe not if you're coding administrative/financial boring tools in Cobol lol)

Well, actually my first goal is not to know how to code for the miggy I want to learn to code a more "global" way, not focus on a "dead" machine in terms of future development..but if AmigaC is close enough to the C89/99 I'm learning, then that's something I will definitely want to do at one point or another!

Plans? Of course I have: GAMES!

The first milestone I kind of set to myself as a goal, which is pretty far away I guess, would be to code a simple and basic horizontal shooter.

But one thing after the other. Let's get back to my pointers, tables and chains for now
Old 09 January 2009, 09:49   #6
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
For a living? Cool! (well depends...maybe not if you're coding administrative/financial boring tools in Cobol lol)
Not Cobol, but... Not all of the time, but we have some 'boring tools' (but you can always code in a cool way )

Quote:
Plans? Of course I have: GAMES!
Mmmh, that's a good plan However, if you start learning coding C not on the Miggy it might be a good idea to also look for other sources for help. On which OS are you gonna start coding?
Old 09 January 2009, 09:58   #7
Nostalgeek
OT Whore

Quote:
Mmmh, that's a good plan However, if you start learning coding C not on the Miggy it might be a good idea to also look for other sources for help. On which OS are you gonna start coding?
Now you understand why I opened this thread
Well, the thing I didn't say yet is that learning to code could be an added value in my current job. I work in the IT department of a big organization, and nowadays I'm bored to the bone...so I'm taking the time to learn to code instead of browsing lolcats pictures and eab all day long. In the end, I may have new opportunities at work with coding skills. It's personal interest, but also added value for my future.

So it's gonna be Win32 for the moment...we do not have much miggys in the offices...unfortunately
Old 09 January 2009, 10:04   #8
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

So Win32 it will be? Then have a look here : http://www.codeproject.com/
Maybe nothing for the very start, but a very good resource once you have a question Don't get stuck in the Lounge though