English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 10 April 2005, 19:15   #1
redneon

WHDLoad RawDIC Installs Problem

I'm installed WHDLoad and am having trouble with any installs which require RawDIC. All other installs work fine.

When I try and install a game which uses RawDIC from DH0: RawDIC gets to track 2 and then I get and error saying "No sync signal on track2.". It does this will different floppies and different games so I know it's not the disks or the .adf files. Besides, the .adfs work fine in UAE and also, if I use adf2disk or diskwiz to put them on floppy they work fine when played from floppy.

Any ideas?
Old 10 April 2005, 21:42   #2
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

RawDIC is only used on games with custom disk formats - ADF's simply store the disk in an uncompressed AmigaDos format - they do not contain the information.

If you were actually using originals like you are supposed to, they would work.
Old 10 April 2005, 23:52   #3
redneon

I do have quite a few boxed originals from yesteryear in the attic but I really really don't fancy trawling through all that rubbish just to find them. Would I just be able to use the .adf originals that haven't been cracked?
Old 11 April 2005, 00:16   #4
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
There arnt any adf originals that havent been cracked. (bar the odd dos game, but then rawdic wouldnt be called anyhow) if rawdic is used then there its not ya basic run of the mill floppy format. Games wernt released in two versions so Original will work fine with rawdic but the cracked version made into an adf wont .oh and ...heya codet
Old 11 April 2005, 09:08   #5
redneon

I have noticed that the games that use RawDIC, when mounted using FMS, show up as DF0:NDOS, but yet they play fine when written to disk. For each game that's been cracked in the TOSEC sets there are adf images for those the originals that haven't been cracked so I'll give those a try...

What does "heya codet" mean?
Old 11 April 2005, 12:42   #6
redneon

I've just found something quite interesting out. I noticed that when I tried to do an install that required RawDIC it seems everything that is required is installed before RawDIC loads and only the Disk.1, Disk.2 etc are installed using RawDIC. So I tried (with Superfrog) cancelling the installation at the RawDIC section and renaming my .adf files Disk.1, Disk.2 etc and it worked!

It doesn't work for all games though. I tried Alien Breed 2 abd it complained about an incorrect disk. I'm assuming that this is something to do with the type of disk. Because all the Superfrog disks are DF0:NDOS in Workbench but all the Alien Breed 2 disks show up as N.O.M.A.D. which I'm assuming is some kind of cracking group.
Old 11 April 2005, 14:17   #7
Codetapper

Question Confused again?

"heya codet" means "Hi Codetapper!"

As for the remaining part of your post, I can't make head nor tail of it. Writing any Disk.1 image from a custom formatted game will definitely NOT "play fine when written to disk" - you are very confused!

I'm actually a little bemused why so many people want to take a WHDLoad game and attempt to write it back to floppy anyway - the WHDLoad versions are written because they do NOT work on disk properly! So why bother writing it back?!?
Old 11 April 2005, 14:42   #8
redneon

I'm not trying to write WHDLoad games back to disk. That would just be silly, because I have the .adf files already. What I'm trying to do is install games (such as Superfrog and Alien Breed 2) which require RawDIC without the original disks. I do have the originals in the attic but it'd take me forever to get them out and it's more than my life's worth. So, I've taken the .adf files from the TOSEC sets and tried to install from there.

What I meant about renaming to Disk.1 and Disk.2 was... Some of the installers that use RawDIC (such as Superfrog) you can cancel when it gets to the RawDIC stage and just use the .adf files you have of the game to Disk.1, Disk.2 etc and put them in the directory where RawDIC would put them. As explained above though, this doesn't work for all games unfortunately.
Old 11 April 2005, 22:44   #9
Codetapper

I would say that would work for about 1% of games, so not even worth bothering with. As I have already said, RawDIC is for ORIGINALS ONLY so you can either insert your original game disks, or mount the CAPS image of the game and image from that. Nothing else will work reliably.

The other alternative is to download the pre-installed WHDLoad games from the net.
Old 11 April 2005, 23:27   #10
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Just download the pre-installed games that's what I say
Old 12 April 2005, 00:23   #11
redneon

That's the route I'm going. I've had a quick look around after Codetapper suggested it but I've not found many. What I have found, however, is a torrent which comes with 2000 WHDLoad games. So that'll be finished by tomorrow Hopefully, that'll have all the ones I want and the ones that aren't in the archive wont use RawDIC.
Old 28 April 2005, 19:22   #12
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneon
That's the route I'm going. I've had a quick look around after Codetapper suggested it but I've not found many. What I have found, however, is a torrent which comes with 2000 WHDLoad games. So that'll be finished by tomorrow Hopefully, that'll have all the ones I want and the ones that aren't in the archive wont use RawDIC.
A large collection of IPF images are on emule and on the web if you know what to search...
Old 07 April 2015, 23:53   #13
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
A large collection of IPF images are on emule and on the web if you know what to search...
Yes, but it's not up-to-date.

Whoops! Sorry for reanimate such an old thread....
Old 07 September 2022, 16:17   #14
brufnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supamax View Post
Yes, but it's not up-to-date.

Whoops! Sorry for reanimate such an old thread....
No big deal; now I'm going to reanimate an even older thread.
Old 07 September 2022, 16:48   #15
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
Originally Posted by brufnus View Post
No big deal; now I'm going to reanimate an even older thread.
reanimating the dead is kinda what this forums all about, and retro in general.

Old 07 September 2022, 21:17   #16
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post

now it's up to date, on eab ftp and all other the interwebz