The chaos engine
Turrican 2
Lionheart
Another world
Old 17 October 2018, 21:40   #42
nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by project23 View Post
Come on guys, it's the adventure classics!

Monkey Island 1/2 being up at the top of the list of course.

John
IMO only Monkey Island 1 even though MI2 is the better adventure game to play. They did a better job on graphics in MI1 (probably took the EGA and added extra colors) and the sound is the best of all versions. On MI2 they did a bad job on graphics using some crap converter from VGA graphics. Not bad but I would play dos version anyday over the Amiga version.
Old 17 October 2018, 22:01   #43
donnie

I never liked mi2 graphics either. Its hand drawn on paper and then scanned in. Like beneath a steel sky. Or atleast it looks like it. Which gives it that compressed jpeg look.

I much prefer handpixeled art like mi1 or day of the tentacle
Old 17 October 2018, 23:04   #44
nolunchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
I will give another one. Datastorm, insanely addictive Defender clone, insane amount of stuff moving on screen, probably the best defender ever (could argue with dropzone C64). It's one of the few Amiga games you would wait in the line to play if it was a coin op.
oh nice. i was a Defender addict (have the original coin op in my living room)

The one thing about today's games is that it requires so much investment, not only monetarily, but the learning curve and sheer expanse of some of these games makes it almost a life commitment. I've played 20 hour games on the PC and enjoyed them immensely, but by then I'm mentally exhausted and seldom will replay. I've literally spent hundreds of hours on the arcade defender, and will still play it going forward.

datastorm will be high on my list to try. thanks!
Old 17 October 2018, 23:07   #45
Decker

- Settlers: Just these past two weeks, I've clocked in 40+ hours in two maps. Holds up incredibly well.
- Slam Tilt: Same thing. Haven't been binging it of course, but I keep returning to it.

Both of these games, you don't have to squint or make excuses for them. They're just great representatives of their genres. And the appeal is very obvious for a generation younger than me.

Rant: Lionheart on the other hand? This aged well to you?
What's the best aged part? Is it the mullet or the speedo? The stubby hands and the pencil sword? The rad logo that someone scribbled in a corner of their biology book? The left to right slow running action?

I mean... I play a ton of ridiculous, campy stuff like this. But I wouldn't call many of those titles aging well.

Old 17 October 2018, 23:07   #46
Hercules
Vodka monster.

Jim Power. Great platformer and soundtrack.
Old 18 October 2018, 00:55   #47
eXeler0

I probably still play Kick Off 2 more often than FIFA18 on Xbox One X (doubt that FIFA19 will change that.. or 20.. etc) :-)
Slam Tilt, Banshee AGA has aged well IMO.
Old 18 October 2018, 03:16   #48
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare_j View Post
Perhaps it is not the best the amiga could do, but as an experience of visuals, music and gameplay it has stood the test of time I think. Enjoyment to fresh eyes today is the key here.
I still enjoy listening intro For Turrican 2 - imho best amiga intro music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
- Settlers: Just these past two weeks, I've clocked in 40+ hours in two maps. Holds up incredibly well.
- Slam Tilt: Same thing. Haven't been binging it of course, but I keep returning to it.

Both of these games, you don't have to squint or make excuses for them. They're just great representatives of their genres. And the appeal is very obvious for a generation younger than me.

Rant: Lionheart on the other hand? This aged well to you?
What's the best aged part? Is it the mullet or the speedo? The stubby hands and the pencil sword? The rad logo that someone scribbled in a corner of their biology book? The left to right slow running action?

I mean... I play a ton of ridiculous, campy stuff like this. But I wouldn't call many of those titles aging well.

Cutting couple odd images to prove your point - funny....

http://hol.abime.net/894/screenshot

I remember awe first time I saw moving skies in front of copper background. Incredible tune to add to experience... what could you want more? Ridding dragon?

ps. what do you have against beast in speedo? Do you have something to share with us?
Old 18 October 2018, 05:56   #49
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Cutting couple odd images to prove your point - funny....
Not to prove, to illustrate. Illustrations are great for that. I guess we could watch a longplay?

Maybe I'm not getting the genius of old Stumpy: 80's does keep making a comeback. So every few years even I can agree that Lionheart withstood the test of time. Also, please nobody counter-post some of the imagery of Slam Tilt. Somehow, that silliness just sits well in a pinball table. Whereas this game wants to be taken seriously:

Could be a fun game, could be a great game (IMO, it never was). But there's nothing about its gameplay mechanics or tech that stood the test of time in my eyes. I guess I misunderstand the thread title.

Last edited by Decker; 18 October 2018 at 06:21.
Old 18 October 2018, 11:37   #50
donnie

Lionheart is an extremely polished game. Especially for an european made amiga game. Unlike a lot of games on home computer back in the 80, 90s this game is balanced, thought out, and rigorously play tested. One of the best of its kind on the amiga. Yes it is slow, with unorthodox control. But the game is thoroughly designed around it.

I never knew about it back in the day. I played it for the first time 2010. And had a blast.

I dont think fashion is really of relevance for an 16 bit game. If anything 80s wardrobe ads to the charm.
Old 18 October 2018, 12:31   #51
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Ruff n Tumble. Some people complained about the choppy scrolling, but I havent noticed until those people complained
Old 18 October 2018, 13:00   #52
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Could be a fun game, could be a great game (IMO, it never was). But there's nothing about its gameplay mechanics or tech that stood the test of time in my eyes. I guess I misunderstand the thread title.
First of all, some of pictures you posted are form intro and outro. Game had story behind it and it was first game I know of that had 2 different endings, depending if you collected necklaces or not. As I said, great visuals, tune to follow and suitable gameplay. It was not run and smash game, there are stages where you have first to defend, then attack, figure little puzzle with moves to get to area (swings for example) and even shoot em up stage (like turrican 2).

Level design was well done and there were not cases like I felt in Turrican that you get lost in level or that is way repetitive.

I will can play it and enjoy it, over 25 years later. (just like I still do with Turrican, SuperFrog, Alien Bread, ...)

But again, everyone is entitled to own opinion, and for example, while many thing that Gods is great game, I just can't stand gameplay. Nobody mentioned it here on this topic, neither anyone mentioned another marvel of the game, that came at wrong time - Mr. Nutz.
Old 18 October 2018, 13:25   #53
Gaelion

IMHO only a game with great and original gameplay or a great game concept can withstand the pass of time. Also great music can of course!

Graphics & visuals or sound effects cannot, so I think should not be taken into account in this list. I cant think of a single amiga game that can compare to nowadays games graphycally or sound wise.
Old 18 October 2018, 16:07   #54
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie View Post
Yes it is slow, with unorthodox control. But the game is thoroughly designed around it.
That's the sort of thing you'll miss out on when a game hits you the wrong way. Maybe some day I'll make my peace with this and Brian The Lion. And I'll have two more generally appreciated games to play.

Meanwhile:
X-IT

Pacmania

Generally, anything neat & simple works as well today as back then.
Old 18 October 2018, 17:28   #55
nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaelion View Post
IMHO only a game with great and original gameplay or a great game concept can withstand the pass of time. Also great music can of course!

Graphics & visuals or sound effects cannot, so I think should not be taken into account in this list. I cant think of a single amiga game that can compare to nowadays games graphycally or sound wise.
Agree, this is exactly my criteria too. Most of the games posted here really don't fit this list but everyone can have their own opinion.
Old 19 October 2018, 11:26   #56
Twiggy
\m/

Cannon Fodder or SWOS

I guess the Sensi re-release on the Xbox shows that slightly improved graphics is all it needs (if that). Gameplay has definitely stood the test of time.
Old 19 October 2018, 11:37   #57
Gzegzolka

Slam Tilt and Ruff'n'Tumble
Old 19 October 2018, 13:23   #58
zardoz
Zone Friend

My lads (8 & 11) often see me playing Miggy games and are generally very dismissive. Some old games have got what it takes to wrench them away from the Wii / PS4

- SWOS. Football loving 11yo loves this as much as Fifa 18
- Settlers, mostly for watching all my guys wandering around doing stuff.
- Populous

Stuff like shooters and platformers don't really cut it in this age of Fortnite and Mario Galaxy. (Little one does like Golden Axe on the Megadrive though).

I tried playing Dune II recently and it's pretty tedious compared to its later incarnations - Tiberium Wars is pretty jaw dropping (and 10 years old now, so almost retrogaming :-) )
Old 19 October 2018, 13:36   #59
john4p
Competition Moderator

Since Battle Squadron, SWoS and Flashback have already been mentioned I can only add:

Pinball Dreams

Fantasies/Illusions/Slam Tilt may be technically more impressive but the music and atmosphere of Nightmare, Ignition, Steel Wheels and Beat Box as well as gameplay have definitely stood the test of time.
Old 19 October 2018, 14:09   #60
nobody

D/Generation

You flew in on a jetpack to a bioweapons lab to deliver a package to the lead scientist. You needed to hit switches, collect keys and avoid the tubes in the floor that fired at you. And there were also bouncing balls that turned invisible when they found you.

You could collect a laser gun as well, that bounced off the walls when fired allowing you to hit door controls and such like, and grenades too. A good game that kept you hooked for many hours.