English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 07 June 2015, 11:54   #81
Vot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyJarrett View Post
Even though the aircraft isn't on any of the maps you can make the object appear. I was able to fly it but it was a bit of a cheat as it was essentially flying like a helicopter.

Check out the last screenshots here: http://hol.abime.net/764/screenshot

Cool i never knew that..
Old 07 June 2015, 12:18   #82
Grale

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyJarrett View Post
Even though the aircraft isn't on any of the maps you can make the object appear. I was able to fly it but it was a bit of a cheat as it was essentially flying like a helicopter.

Check out the last screenshots here: http://hol.abime.net/764/screenshot
Ahh I see. So was it just a model swap with the helicopter?

Looking back at the time i spent playing and enjoying this game, it's obvious now why I love playing the GTA open world.

Old 07 June 2015, 12:52   #83
Cherno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grale View Post
Hello Cherno. I have just learnt of your remake of one of my old time favourite games back in the 90's!!

Although my experienced with Hunter was on the AtariST. I am greatly looking forward to re-playing this in HD! I am very tempted to try your first version, however I am going to wait..... if i can

Will we be seeing that aircraft which never made it into the final game?? I remember back in the 90's when a friend of a friend claimed to know and be friends with the creator of Hunter, he told of a secret aircraft which was hidden somewhere on a map. We all searched but never found this aircraft. I learnt from an interview with Paul Holmes that it never made it into the game. Wasted time... but great fun nevertheless.

Anyhow thank you for bringing back some awesome nostalgia, and i look forward to playing the finished remake
Thanks, and yes, if time and motivation permits the plane will be included.
Old 07 June 2015, 13:13   #84
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grale View Post
Ahh I see. So was it just a model swap with the helicopter?
I'm not sure how the plane would have worked in the game (there might be some unused code to control it) but to get the screenshots I got into a helicopter and changed the current model to the plane, which retained the helicopter controls.
Old 08 June 2015, 13:43   #85
Cherno

Paul Holmes in the interview said that the plane was used when creating the world because it moved so fast, so he probably just used it to get from point a to b in order to place some buildings and whatnot, and the controls were probably more like an actual plane or flying car instead of a helicopter.
Old 01 July 2015, 10:40   #86
Cherno

So... new version anyone?

Hunter HD version 003 (Web Player Build) (Not supported in Chrome)

Offline/Standalone version

I actually didn't work on it much in the last weeks, but yesterday I realized I was in danger of becoming burnt out on game development so I wanted to put this version out at all costs, and put in a few hours to fix the worst bugs.

The browser version does NOT work in Chrome! You HAVE to use FireFox or whatever. It's a Unity thing, don't ask me why

Hit F1 during play to see the keyboard commands. Generally, the controls are standard FPS-fare. Hit I to open the inventory and click on an item to equip it. Hover the cursor over an item and hit 0-9 to assign a hotkey; this works for all kinds of items.

Press Y to invert mouse y.

The missile launcher (AT4) and Missile Boat launch guided missiles; to lock on to a target, press the middle mouse button when pointing at one and stay within the circle with your cursor until it turns red. Now the missile will fly towards the target after a short distance, as long as you stay inside the circle.

You can use Keypad + and Keypad - to change to number of seconds in a game day (default is 1440). Hit the - key a few times to see the sun rapidly falling towards the horizon. Drive the car onto the hill, get out and watch the sunset

There are two characters you can interact with; The quest system is incomplete and basically you can only talk to them and they tell you where to go, a quest marker appears on your map, but nothing will happen if you go there.

The swimming animation is bugged; I blame 3d Studio Max's CAT.

So, all in all all, there's nothing much to do; there is only one church a short distance to the east on the starting island, otherwise the map is empty.

Last edited by Cherno; 07 October 2015 at 21:01.
Old 01 July 2015, 10:58   #87
Vot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherno View Post
So... new version anyone?

Hunter HD version 003 (Web Player Build) (Not supported in Chrome)

I actually didn't work on it much in the last weeks, but yesterday I realized I was in danger of becoming burnt out on game development so I wanted to put this version out at all costs, and put in a few hours to fix the worst bugs.

The browser version does NOT work in Chrome! You HAVE to use FireFox or whatever. It's a Unity thing, don't ask me why

Hit F1 during play to see the keyboard commands. Generally, the controls are standard FPS-fare. Hit I to open the inventory and click on an item to equip it. Hover the cursor over an item and hit 0-9 to assign a hotkey; this works for all kinds of items.

Press Y to invert mouse y.

The missile launcher (AT4) and Missile Boat launch guided missiles; to lock on to a target, press the middle mouse button when pointing at one and stay within the circle with your cursor until it turns red. Now the missile will fly towards the target after a short distance, as long as you stay inside the circle.

You can use Keypad + and Keypad - to change to number of seconds in a game day (default is 1440). Hit the - key a few times to see the sun rapidly falling towards the horizon. Drive the car onto the hill, get out and watch the sunset

There are two characters you can interact with; The quest system is incomplete and basically you can only talk to them and they tell you where to go, a quest marker appears on your map, but nothing will happen if you go there.

The swimming animation is bugged; I blame 3d Studio Max's CAT.

So, all in all all, there's nothing much to do; there is only one church a short distance to the east on the starting island, otherwise the map is empty.

Sweet thank you so much for your work.. Take a break from it and have a beer while we have fun playing it.
Old 01 July 2015, 12:25   #88
Cherno

Thank you. I will try to compose a list of things that got added:

New vehicle physics
new character physics
projectile physics
Enter buildings
Buildings with foundations
Items & inventory
Day-night cycle
Real-time lighting thanks to Unity 5
Guided missiles
rudimental quest system
Minimap
Radar bar
Improved terrain algorithm, no overlapping faces
Global message system
Swimming
Underwater fog
Old 01 July 2015, 16:58   #89
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

It doesn't work in Chrome because apparently the web player uses NPAPI which Google has actively disabled. Apparently you can still turn it on manually.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NPAPI

The thing that saddens me that is if you would not burn out on this project and you manage to push it to a semi-complete state, if you'd ever release it in any form outside of retro websites the response to it would probably be disheartening to say the least :/
Old 01 July 2015, 17:05   #90
Cherno

I don't know, I think if it's made clear that is is a homage to the 1991 game then users would see why the game does not look like Witcher 3, but rather that the minimalist art style is on purpose. Plus, there are enough gamers who are old enough to know about the original
Old 01 July 2015, 23:38   #91
Cherno

Is anyone interested in an offline version?
Old 02 July 2015, 01:31   #92
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Yes
Old 02 July 2015, 02:23   #93
Vot

Quote:
Is anyone interested in an offline version?

Yes.. Id love to see it standalone

And i agree with the rest don't burn yourself out with it. Leave it for a month if your sick of it. I would love to see this complete in the end however. If you ever get to the point where you don't want to work on it anymore please consider open sourcing it so someone can finish it.

For me missions like the original and a populated map would be enough. Anything else is a bonus
Old 02 July 2015, 09:13   #94
Cherno

Here is the offline version:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iamw7cpn2e..._v003.zip?dl=0

It might get flagged as a suspicious download.

Last edited by Cherno; 07 October 2015 at 21:02.
Old 02 July 2015, 09:59   #95
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

How about once a month? Sounds right
Old 03 July 2015, 03:34   #96
XPD
Geek Kiwi

Quote:
Here is the offline version:

http://cherno.cwsurf.de/hunter/ver00...terHD_v003.zip

It might get flagged as a suspicious download.
Amusing.... game coded on the Amiga takes a single 880k disc.... put it on Windows and explodes to a 17MB download

Thanks, loved the game on Amiga, keen to see how you progress
Old 03 July 2015, 05:37   #97
Vot

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPD View Post
Amusing.... game coded on the Amiga takes a single 880k disc.... put it on Windows and explodes to a 17MB download

Thanks, loved the game on Amiga, keen to see how you progress

Its not that amusing it uses unity so it probably includes a lot of the engine that isn't even being used...
Old 03 July 2015, 06:17   #98
Cherno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vot View Post
Its not that amusing it uses unity so it probably includes a lot of the engine that isn't even being used...
I didn't even bother to exclude all the Standard Assets stuff that mostly consists of examples for variours effects and characters.. Oh well, optimization can always done later, I keep telling myself
Old 09 July 2015, 05:25   #99
Anthony

Well done Cherno, thank you very much for putting time and your God given talent into this inspiring refreshing recast of one of my all time fav games. Enjoy a well deserved break, if your in Dublin I'll ensure a steady supply of cool Guinness :-)

Looking forward to the missions and game development.

Tschuss
Anton

Old 09 July 2015, 10:04   #100
Cherno

Thanks for the kind words. I'm partial to Newcastle Brown Ale myself but if I'm ever in Dublin I'll drop you a line :]