English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.OtherUAE

Old 28 November 2022, 09:39   #1
kremiso

Custom savedisks to standard adf, is possible?

i don't know if this is the correct place to ask

extremely NOOB question, in reality connected to the use of many old UAE emulators, in different old hardware too, that do not have an extended adf compatibility

i was wondering if it could be possible to 'crack' some custom Amiga savedisks, to fit in a standard adf?

ie, some games like Cannon Fodder or Darkmere seems to use just the first tracks of the disk, leaving wasteful empty all the rest?

it would be awesome just reach to recognize the disk(s) and load what inside, even without reach to save instead, maybe more problematic

possible?

Last edited by kremiso; 28 November 2022 at 09:47.
Old 28 November 2022, 10:09   #2
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
nope. Because per se, Custom savedisks means the save system use MFM encoding. standard ADF cannot support that.

However, you can use Powercopy, save a custom savedisk as file per track, and then write that back on your real amiga on a fresh disk.
Old 28 November 2022, 14:41   #3
kremiso

thank you for the fast reply Denis

i need to ask Toni which was the first WinUAE release that utilized the (new?) extended adf feature, i mean as custom 2MB disk and not as 1760KB

i have another question Denis, there is a difference between the savedisks that need to be formatted ingame and the ones that does not?

both extended adf i mean
they use both MFM encoding?

ie as a concrete example, LotusXJ220 require to format the disk ingame to 'generate' a custom 2MB one;
Obitus instead, just seems to save into a standard blank disk, that however became the same a 2MB one after just the save

Last edited by kremiso; 28 November 2022 at 15:17.
Old 28 November 2022, 16:02   #4
kremiso

i have also found this old (2008) Toni post :

UAE adf types

wondering if it's possible to 'revert' the new custom disks to the old extended read only format

i mean to test that previous format

but i presume the old extended format also does not support MFM encoding, right?

Last edited by kremiso; 28 November 2022 at 16:08.
Old 28 November 2022, 18:55   #5
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by kremiso View Post
thank you for the fast reply Denis

i need to ask Toni which was the first WinUAE release that utilized the (new?) extended adf feature, i mean as custom 2MB disk and not as 1760KB

i have another question Denis, there is a difference between the savedisks that need to be formatted ingame and the ones that does not?

both extended adf i mean
they use both MFM encoding?

ie as a concrete example, LotusXJ220 require to format the disk ingame to 'generate' a custom 2MB one;
Obitus instead, just seems to save into a standard blank disk, that however became the same a 2MB one after just the save
Jaguar XJ220 use an MFM save disk, Obitus use also an MFM savedisk, Cannon Fodder use an MFM save disk.

Generally all the disks that you are asked to format outside the game is standard AmigaDOS.
Old 28 November 2022, 19:19   #6
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
i have also found this old (2008) Toni post :
UAE adf types
wondering if it's possible to 'revert' the new custom disks to the old extended read only format
i mean to test that previous format
but i presume the old extended format also does not support MFM encoding, right?
Wouldn't the use of an order WinUAE help you testing it ?
Old 29 November 2022, 09:49   #7
kremiso

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Jaguar XJ220 use an MFM save disk, Obitus use also an MFM savedisk, Cannon Fodder use an MFM save disk.

Generally all the disks that you are asked to format outside the game is standard AmigaDOS.
thank you, so it's not a totally black or totally white thing;
there could be also different cases, ie atm i'm rechecking Curse of Enchantia;
it does require to format the savedisk ingame, but it generates a standard 880KB disk

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
Wouldn't the use of an order WinUAE help you testing it ?
absolutely, i have tried without luck here until now

there is also an high rate of chance that my 'custom to extended adf' reasoning is completely wrong

-------

i'm also reading in old threads, trying to grab some useful infos that could make me try other ways

ie this @thomas one :

MFM to PC floppy

Last edited by kremiso; 29 November 2022 at 09:57.
Old 29 November 2022, 20:23   #8
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
i was wondering if it could be possible to 'crack' some custom Amiga savedisks, to fit in a standard adf?

It's possible, but the load/save routines of the games in question need to be adapted for this.
Old 30 November 2022, 11:13   #9
kremiso

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
It's possible, but the load/save routines of the games in question need to be adapted for this.
lovely to know, yes i was presuming too a sort of work on the gamedisk itself, probably even harder

reach to recognize and so at least load the saves would be already an awesome goal, ie in some games to access directly at a level/part

ok there are trainers, but sometime the saves are better;
Cannon Fodder imo is a valid example, using the saves you can access directly to a specific level (for test, training or whatever);
the better trainer of that game just have the possibility to skip each level, but to reach let's say level 20 is not great

all this just remembering that i'm talking to all the emulators based on an old UAE core, so without a custom disk compatibility;
i don't know if the same 'request' would be of interest to others, Gotek users perhaps?

thanks

Last edited by kremiso; 30 November 2022 at 12:57.