English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 02 November 2022, 11:40   #21
Karlos
Alien Bleed

The DOS version of Syndicate is an example for me. Primarily because it was exactly the same as the Amiga version, except for the in mission game resolution, which was basically 4x higher.

It didn't make the Amiga version bad because it was as far as I can tell, bug for bug identical, it was just easier to see what you were doing.
Old 02 November 2022, 12:14   #22
Seiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
Since the Amiga had fixed chipsets and the PC had moving hardware (different every 6 month) I think comparison is not reason...
well, on Amiga too, are been release several accelerator cards that at a certain point asked me if it was Amiga or a PC called Amiga.
Old 02 November 2022, 12:20   #23
Seiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post

32 VS 256 colors.
I must say that when I see some beautiful graphics with only 16/32 colors (Simon The Sorcerer, Elfmania, Ruff'n'Tumble... etc) it only get's additional plus for me, as it speaks of mastery of the artist.
true, but many Amiga games have less colors, but programmed in dual or more playfield, an amiga features very interesting.
Old 02 November 2022, 12:26   #24
Fiery Phoenix

Links on the Amiga (shudder)

First time I saw it on a PC - wow
Old 02 November 2022, 12:29   #25
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce View Post
lollypop
legend of the kyrandia
gobliins 1 , 2 ,3

etc
Was lollypop between 1985-1991?
Old 02 November 2022, 12:36   #26
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

This thread is largely redundant.

Which country was the fastest adopter of PC as a gaming device? The US

Which country primarily developed for it in the early years? US developers

Which developers were by far the least capable when it came to Amiga? US developers.

256 vga is nice, but when you had the likes of Sierra that at times didnt do more than 16 colour games on Amiga, and piss poorly converted down, I find it not useful to limit on what was released and in what state and say "look, PC was much better" when in reality lots of those graphic adventures would have looked great in 32 or 64 colour on Amiga and it was perfectly capable of it as well.
Old 02 November 2022, 12:46   #27
Marce
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Was lollypop between 1985-1991?
who cares about what year
I put lollypop as example because the Amiga version is very lame compared to the original PC game done 1 year before
and there is a recent thread about lollypop who remind me it

there are some members wasting so time in this buggy port instead to relax and play the PC original version which is 10 x better, I do not understand them
Old 02 November 2022, 13:33   #28
lilwshu

The first PC game that made the Amiga look really bad in my memory is X-Wing, it was clear that the Amiga in 1993 had no chance of doing it. Before then I can't think of much that hasn't already been mentioned.
Old 02 November 2022, 13:50   #29
sokolovic

Before 1991, not very much. Generally, Amiga games didn't look like "shit" in comparison of PC Games until 1991 even VGA ones (and even after : Kyrandia, Beneath a Steel Sky, Monkey Island 2 or Indy 4 certainly are splendid even in 32 colors),. The only examples are maybe Sierra titles and of course Wing Commander (but AGA Amiga version is on par with VGA one. The ECS version is just a port of the EGA one).
I'd say that the gap widened after 1992/3, with the arrival of fancy looking (yet totally outdated now) 3D textured flight sims. Amiga versions we're always laking the textured options, even for faster Amigas.

Last edited by sokolovic; 02 November 2022 at 13:58.
Old 02 November 2022, 14:02   #30
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwshu View Post
The first PC game that made the Amiga look really bad in my memory is X-Wing, it was clear that the Amiga in 1993 had no chance of doing it. Before then I can't think of much that hasn't already been mentioned.

Can't see why would be impossible to achieve on an expanded Amiga with XWing. It's just plain 3D with no textures and most of the fights take places in space with a big black background and no landscape. It would be difficult to make a version on an unexpanded A1000 of course but PC version was'nt exactly made for 1985 PC's either (and how a game that wasn't released on the Amiga could make the Amiga looks bad ? Comparison should be with games on both supports).
Old 02 November 2022, 14:23   #31
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
"look, PC was much better" when in reality lots of those graphic adventures would have looked great in 32 or 64 colour on Amiga and it was perfectly capable of it as well.
In addition to this, I always found that pixels were waaay too huge on the PC "14 and "15 monitors, even with 256 colors it looks pretty ugly... while Amiga games had that nice soft blur on TV screens, and was way more pleasant to look at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
Can't see why would be impossible to achieve on an expanded Amiga with XWing. It's just plain 3D with no textures and most of the fights take places in space with a big black background and no landscape. It would be difficult to make a version on an unexpanded A1000 of course but PC version was'nt exactly made for 1985 PC's either (and how a game that wasn't released on the Amiga could make the Amiga looks bad ? Comparison should be with games on both supports).
Exactly my thoughts.
I don't see why 040 couldn't pull that off with eyes closed... and even.. as you said... much slower Amigas... I guess A1200 with fast Ram could pull it off.
Old 02 November 2022, 14:27   #32
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
A topic which I'm a little tired of because for every game you can list which the Amiga did not see a release of will trigger a response of "muh the Amiga could definitely do that". You can't discuss these things in a fun way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
Old 02 November 2022, 15:26   #33
Marce
Banned

resuming:

the PC versions of graphic adventures , RPG games, strategy games were better always in the PC because they run in 256 colors, more resolution,more animations, better intros etc

the Amiga generally wins in platform games, arcade games,space shooters and so on
It is in this kind of games where the Amiga stands out the most

PC developers had not developed good scrolling or smoothness in platform- arcade games until 1993 or 1994
Old 02 November 2022, 15:36   #34
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce View Post
PC developers had not developed good scrolling or smoothness in platform- arcade games until 1993 or 1994
Make that 1990: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commander_Keen
Old 02 November 2022, 15:47   #35
Marce
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
In addition to this, I always found that pixels were waaay too huge on the PC "14 and "15 monitors, even with 256 colors it looks pretty ugly... while Amiga games had that nice soft blur on TV screens, and was way more pleasant to look at.

yes, PC games looked ugly blocky in the era , but that's because VGA monitors were sharpen than commodore RGB monitors or Tvs

today if you insert a scandoubler in a real Amiga and connect a VGA monitor then ur Amiga games will look pretty ugly and blocky as in the PC

that's is why today I like winuae and the supported screen filters as super eagle or super 2xsai
Old 02 November 2022, 16:10   #36
stevelord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery Phoenix View Post
Links on the Amiga (shudder)

First time I saw it on a PC - wow

Why shudder on the Amiga? The Amiga version is in full 4096 colour HAM mode while the PC version is 256 colour VGA. Both look good IME (I play Links: The Challenge of Golf on Amiga and PC). Unless you're thinking of Links 386, maybe?
Old 02 November 2022, 16:34   #37
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Late 1991 early 1992 I noticed the equivalent of AAA games coming out on the PC but not on the Amiga. Games like Ultima VII. I kept my Amiga as my main PC until 1997/8 but in 1992 I was quite envious of some of my PC playing friends.
Old 02 November 2022, 16:48   #38
sokolovic

Still there were hopes to have a port on the Amiga, especially when they announced AGA machines (I was hoping for a Day of the Tentacle AGA CD version until Commodore demise)
Sadly Commodore weren't very good (to say it politely) at backing publishers to support their machines. They did makes something to have some unenhanced LucasFilm games on the CDTV or Wing Commander on the CD32 (4 years after the VGA PC version !) but that's it.
Old 02 November 2022, 17:04   #39
CFou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
Only Eye of the Beholder looked to me like a game possibly worth getting a PC for. The Amiga version seems to have a 'compressed' palette, particularly in the control panel background. The extra colors available in VGA make this area look more 'magical', setting the tone of the game. The rest of the graphics are nothing special in either version, but overall the PC version looks more polished and 'believable', while the Amiga version is a bit crude in comparison. Had AGA been around 1991 the Amiga version could have been just as good as the PC version, but it wasn't so it couldn't.
EOB 1 & EOB 2 AGA exist :
Eye Of The Beholder AGA
Eye Of The Beholder 2 AGA

bu not around 1991...
Old 02 November 2022, 17:07   #40
Weasel Fierce

Its not any more complicated than processor speeds IMO.

PC owners upgraded to get 386s and then upgraded again for 486s and again for Pentiums, blowing a thousand dollars or so at a time.
Heck, a 1990 VGA card would run you 4-500 dollars at the time, which is as much or more as I paid for my A1200 2 years later.

Amiga owners kept their A500 until 95 and then wondered why we didnt get a version of Warcraft (a game that requires an 030 with 8 MB RAM on mac) or Ultima 7 (a game that requires a 486 processor on PC).

Both would have been 100% doable on an Amiga.

How many games could you buy for your XT in 1995?