English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 23 November 2014, 18:54   #1
Stuart

locale.library load FAIL

Please can you help?

I have been trying out SnoopDos in an attempt to resolve a lot of my issues around certain programs not starting up correctly. Its an excellent program and I am working my way through each load fail that it reports in the log file. locale.library is one that pops up regularly and I am no sure why. This file seems to be missing from the LIBS folder so I used WinUAE to emulate the Workbench ADF from the locale floppy. Only thing is when I open up the locale floppy there doesn't appear to be a locale.library file in there.

I then thought it could be something in the startup-sequence that it is trying to look for. I did find a line referencing locale.library but when I removed it and restarted WinUae it still reports a load fail in SnoopDos.
The Process in SnoopDos states: ramlib, Action: Load LIBS: locale.library FAIL

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by Stuart; 23 November 2014 at 19:00.
Old 23 November 2014, 19:04   #2
thomas

A FAIL in SnoopDOS does not necessarily mean a problem. For example if you run a Shell command, the Shell will attempt to load it from each directory in the path. A lot of FAILs until it finds it.

It needs quite a bit experience to read a SnoopDOS log correctly.

You should rather look for messages from the respective program.
Old 23 November 2014, 19:08   #3
Stuart

ok thanks Thomas.
Old 23 November 2014, 19:40   #4
thomas

Which programs do not start up correctly?

Regarding locale.library, does Prefs/Locale work?
Old 23 November 2014, 21:23   #5
Stuart

In the Prefs folder I can't seem to find Locale. My WB version is 37.71 if that helps? As for other programs I am having problems opening AmigaGuide. When I try a Readme file it says Cant find amigaguide.library, opeing default instead. Amigaguide.libary is definitely in the LIBS folder. The process is Multiview and SnoopDos reports a successful load but nothing opens in WB. I can send you the SnoopDos.log if that helps?

I found locale.library on a Startup.adf and copied it into the LIBS folder and that Fail report from SnoopDos seems to have gone now.
Old 23 November 2014, 22:00   #6
thomas

You seem to have a mixture of different Workbench versions. Version 37 means WB 2.0. Multiview is part of WB 3.0, it does not run on earlier WB versions. Locale.library was introduced in WB 2.1 which would be version 38. Amigaguide.library is not needed by Multiview. It is not part of WB anyway.

You should try to find a complete disk set of one Workbench version. Use the one which matches your Kickstart version. Higher Workbench versions don't run well on lower Kickstart versions. WB 2.x need Kick 2.0 at least and WB 3.x need Kick 3.0 at least.

If the programs you want to run need locale.library, you should use WB 2.1 at least.

If you want to run Multiview you should use WB 3.0 at least.
Old 23 November 2014, 23:06   #7
Stuart

Thank you Thomas. I think whats happened is the PCMCIA card that I bought came with an installation floppy that may have copied setup files across causing a mixture of WB. My Kickstart is 37.350 but I am considering buying the Rom for 40.83 ( I think that's the number) so I can run WB 3.0
My actual Amiga is an A600 2MB ram with 4GB internal compact flash card. Would you recommend WB 3.0 or should I stick with 2.1? I dont really want to upgrade my 68k machine with an accelerator board which I have seen that fits on top of the existing cpu. Just want to get the most out of the actual Amiga as is.
Old 24 November 2014, 12:40   #8
thomas

If you have the choice you should use WB 3.1. (3.0 only if you own it already and would have to buy 3.1)

It needs only little more memory than 2.1 but is much more advanced.
Old 24 November 2014, 17:44   #9
Stuart

Thank you Thomas I will install 3.1.