English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

View Poll Results: Your favourite developer?
Sensible Software 13 24.53%
Bitmap Brothers 18 33.96%
Team 17 22 41.51%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25 September 2007, 12:03   #1
Sensi
Unregistered User

Your favourite Amiga games developer - FINAL

Final !

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=32024

Only one house will prevail !
Old 25 September 2007, 12:07   #2
Sensi
Unregistered User

Lucas was eliminated, clear choice for me. SENSIBLE SOFTWARE!

But Bitmap Bros are heroes of mine as well
Old 25 September 2007, 13:13   #3
kriz

Team 17 for me
Old 25 September 2007, 13:26   #4
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

but a poll that asks me my favourite,.... kinda miss-leading... as my favourite is already gone

I will say that the remaining three are indeed good developers, perhaps in my mind atleast Bitmap brothers is in 3rd place, simply because other than say Chaos Engine / Speedball 2... the rest of thier games soo too style over substance orientation....
Old 25 September 2007, 13:48   #5
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Carn' the Bitmaps.
Old 25 September 2007, 14:42   #6
humble worm

bitmap brothers
style and substance... I would say that cadaver has TONS of the latter. As for features which make substance: items, weapons, secret rooms, various baddies etc - not too many platformers can match magic pockets or gods (maybe I just have not played too many platformers or have wrong definition of the substance).

ps. some say that style (not substance) distinguishes man from ape
Old 25 September 2007, 15:24   #7
cronos

Tough poll, because they all released good games. But, I would pick Team 17, because I was addicted to Worms, and played it for many months.. Ah, but Bitmap Brothers had Chaos Engine and Gods, which were also addictive (I am playing Gods ATM)... And Sensible Software had Sensible Soccer. All were good, quality Amiga developers.
Old 25 September 2007, 16:22   #8
Avanze
Amiga User

Sensible it is then.
Old 25 September 2007, 18:40   #9
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

i feel bad for the other two, especially bitmaps who didnt really do a bad game. (oh wait, almost forgot Chaos Engine 2, and CE1 isnt as good as Alien Breed either)

but sensi games are rife in any lists i do of top games.... so Sensible Software it is. (even though they ditched MLM2 - a very bad move - and wasted time with the Cannon Fodder data-disk known as Cannon Fodder 2)
Old 25 September 2007, 18:42   #10
Graham Humphrey

Sensible for me too...
Old 25 September 2007, 19:31   #11
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Sensible Software for me too.
Old 25 September 2007, 20:18   #12
DamienD
Banned

Out of the 3 choices it has to be Team 17 for me
Old 25 September 2007, 20:39   #13
matthew
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to matthew Send a message via AIM to matthew Send a message via MSN to matthew Send a message via Yahoo to matthew
I've probably spent more time playing Speedball II then any other Amiga game.

So I voted for the Bitmap Bros.
Old 26 September 2007, 06:39   #14
oneshotdead

Bitmaps.
Old 26 September 2007, 11:44   #15
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
i feel bad for the other two, especially bitmaps who didnt really do a bad game. (oh wait, almost forgot Chaos Engine 2, and CE1 isnt as good as Alien Breed either)
In my humble opinion, the Chaos Engine obliterates the Alien Breed games on every level imaginable. The Chaos Engine looks better, sounds better, oozes style, is more fun to play and has better controls then the Alien Breed games.
Old 26 September 2007, 18:48   #16
Graham Humphrey

I agree. I don't mind Alien Breed but The Chaos Engine is a class apart.
Old 26 September 2007, 18:58   #17
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzkat View Post
In my humble opinion, the Chaos Engine obliterates the Alien Breed games on every level imaginable. The Chaos Engine looks better, sounds better, oozes style, is more fun to play and has better controls then the Alien Breed games.

well, the free-roaming aspect and hours and hours of gameplay provided by Tower Assault for me easily obliterates anything in CE.

sure CE probably looks better than the original AB, but not ABTA, and AB2 is still on-par with it i reckon. Thats very much a personal choice though, as i dont think the bitmaps graphical style holds up as well in CE as it does in say Xenon 2 or Speedball 2. (Cd32 version of the latter excluded, since it's flipping ugly as sin!)

i cant even remember any of the CE music, so i definately cant agree on the sound aspect.

controls wise... interesting one, as i find it near identical... except AB has the excellent "retreat" mode, and with a CD32 pad, or winuae pad-mapping the controls are just lovely. (it is a bit clunky on a keyboard though, i will agree there)

lastly the Alien Breed series is an excellent pastiche of the movie Aliens.... you cant go wrong with that in my eyes!

still, everyone rates things differently.... which is why there are are miggy games out there for everyone.

I still think "Sensible Aliens" (a top down shooter like both AB and CE, in the classic Sensible style) would have been better still - although it would have to be nothing like the CF2 alien levels!
Old 26 September 2007, 19:14   #18
viddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
I still think "Sensible Aliens" (a top down shooter like both AB and CE, in the classic Sensible style) would have been better still - although it would have to be nothing like the CF2 alien levels!
Why not "Alien Breed Soccer" with special weapon fouls?!

I voted for Team 17 by the way.
They did many unique Amiga games. And their gfx and musics/fx shaped what we´re calling typical Amiga style.
Old 26 September 2007, 19:20   #19
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by viddi View Post
Why not "Alien Breed Soccer" with special weapon fouls?!
Best. Idea. Ever.

Old 26 September 2007, 20:12   #20
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I voted Bitmap Brothers.

I'll concede that technically they are not as proficient as Team 17 (although, I don't believe Team 17 were quite as proficient as some people remember), but its all about the style and gameplay.

Graphically, I loved the Bitmap Brothers style of graphics, achieving quite nice images with only 16 colours for the early games.

I hated Xenon 2 with a passion. Way too hard, but graphically and sonically, it excelled (at the time).

Speedball, Speedball 2, Cadaver, Chaos Engine, Z, and the big one..... GODS!!!

I hated Magic Pockets first time around, but after cracking it for WHDLoad, I playtested it, and found myself grudgingly quite liking it.

The Bitmaps said the reason why their games only ran in 25 frames was because they didn't want any slowdowns. Personally, I think thats a load of crap, technically, they were rubbish, but, for the most part, the playability of their games and their style negated their inability to actually scroll smoothly!

I liked some of Sensibles games, certainly Mega-lo-Mania was a great title, I couldn't care less about football games (even having written one).

Team 17..... promised so much, and only partially delivered. Agreed Superfrog showed lots of other software companies how to do a fast moving, smooth platform game, even though it had the graphics look of a Codemasters budget title.

Alien Breed was ok, although in reality, it was Miami Chase with different graphics!

Project-X..... never liked that one. Overscan and nice graphics don't make a great game, and I note with humoured interest that for all their slagging off of other developers, all the stuff in Project X apart from the scrolling was 25 frames!

Didn't mind Worms, and Kudos for Team 17 having the foresight to recognise the game, but to be honest, most of the game was done and then presented to them.

I have fonder memories of Bitmap Brothers, I still rate even some of their older titles.

Bitmap Brothers gets my vote.