Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 01 September 2021, 12:31   #1
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Once more, charming comments on Youtube about homebrew efforts

Lovely to read comments on Youtube:

[ Show youtube player ]

Some excerpts:

"I hate having to say this but this feels like an old free cover disk game or something you find on Aminet, but very good music I must say."

"Not bad. However, an OCS Amiga is capable of more than this. The color depth on this game is pretty disappointing. There are ways of improving the look of the game while maintaining performance."

"More like an 8-bit game with Amiga sound. And yeah, we got better shooters out there. There's too many R-Type clones already on Amiga alone. I like the multilayer parallax though."

"If the Commodore 64 can pull this game of with 64k Ram 1MHZ [ Show youtube player ] Then I think The Amiga can do it a bit better!"

"It's a nice game all round, but this just plays like most Amiga games. Always something missing. Project X stupidly hard poor level design, Super stardust same. Then the Megadrive came along Thunderforce 3 destroyed everything on the Amiga, sound, amazing gameplay, level design. I know the diehards will disagree but that's the facts."

-----------------
That said, most comments on other videos have been nothing but nice and positive, so I can definitely take it.

Seems that certain Youtubers attract a lot of ass hats commenting, though.
Old 01 September 2021, 12:50   #2
drHirudo
Amiga user

YouTube comments are very inspiring. People from all around the commenting semi- or fully anonymously. It can't get any better.
Old 01 September 2021, 12:58   #3
Seiya

every persons that make any comments appreciate the effort in this game, but players experience is important as feedback to improve more and more. This game is a new game for Amiga and it is a good thing, but maybe people now waitinga more exploit of the hardware like many other plataforms like C64 and Spetrum mainly.
Old 01 September 2021, 13:17   #4
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
every persons that make any comments appreciate the effort in this game, but players experience is important as feedback to improve more and more. This game is a new game for Amiga and it is a good thing, but maybe people now waitinga more exploit of the hardware like many other plataforms like C64 and Spetrum mainly.
Feedback isn't shitting on efforts.
The Amiga is kind of famous for this. Or was. The situation has really improved over the last couple of years, though.

Definitely looking forward though to people exploiting the Amiga more in 4 bitplanes, 512k/512k, multiple layer parallax, sound fx and music and all this while keeping 50 frames per second on a stock machine.
Old 01 September 2021, 13:42   #5
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
Feedback isn't shitting on efforts.
You are 100% correct.

And it is always disappointing that people don't want to see/can't see/don't understand that there is a difference between one guy making his first (AFAIK anyway) Amiga game in his spare time and a console game made by a team of well trained experts with years of experience and a nigh-on unlimited budget... On a more powerful system to boot. Equally silly is indeed that someone compares it to the cumulation of over a decade of prior work of one of the very top C64 developers. And in doing so points to a game which, while good fun, does play an awful lot like a sort of 'best of' compilation of his previous work with improved GFX and sound.

For what it's worth, I stand by my original viewpoint: Inviyya plays very well, is nicely balanced and looks very good for an OCS Amiga game. Some of the levels look downright amazing. This game would not have stood out poorly back in the 1990's hey-day of Amiga commercial releases at all, yet it's a spare time project by one guy. Extremely cool stuff.

TL;DR: what do they know anyway, the game rocks
Old 01 September 2021, 13:45   #6
Selur

Well... the best measure of good game is number of sold stocks of the game. Most internet or forum opinions are just to much subjective, so they doesnt count. Only numbers are true, ofcourse if its not marketing scam.
Old 01 September 2021, 13:47   #7
Retro1234
Phone Homer

hehe people talk shit
Old 01 September 2021, 13:54   #8
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Yep, people talk shit..
Note that I didn't post this thread for having a few pats on my back. Though I appreciate the ones that have been given off course.. ..

It's more about the weird nature of what people expect and how they hate on new Amiga games.

I think the Amiga is somehow special in that regard.

There are so many extremely different ideas around of what an Amiga is capable of, what target config a game should be aimed at, and so many other things.
Old 01 September 2021, 14:05   #9
roondar

Yeah, you hardly see this kind of reaction on other platforms.
Never really got it either, but it's the way it is.
Old 01 September 2021, 14:06   #10
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

People are entitled to their opinions, regardless of you agreeing with them or not. Or don't you agree with this premiss? Why is everyone so perpetually offended by everything these days? Can't people just take on the criticism and move on? It's impossible to please everyone, so if YOU'RE pleased with your own achievements, that's all that matters. Personally, I think Inviyya looks, moves and sounds as good as an OCS game can and if it had come out in 1993 or so, it would be hailed as one of the best shoot-em 'up games on the Amiga hands-down. But for some people, in the post-emulation age, where everyone has played Neo-Geo or CPS1 shoot-em 'ups, it may look a tad too basic. Many people have lost their perspective. For these people, even Z-Out or Apydia look basic.

And as for the opinions themselves, this has been debated on EAB before: Amigans still expect AAA-quality games and they will compare any emerging new games to consecrated classics like The Chaos Engine, Superfrog, Rod-Land or SWIV. The Amiga saw its fair share of sub-par games back in its day and they were all very harshly judged by both press and public precisely because they used the great games as comparison standards yet those so-called "shitty games" were also someone's creation, someone's project, maybe even someone's "love-child". But in the end, people didn't care. For them, the game was either good or it sucked. This phenomenon will not go away. We're just gonna have to accept it, deal with it and keep on doing what we do. This means that anyone developing games for the Amiga must be strong enough (like everyone used to be back in the day) to not care about what anyone says and just push the game out as a personal project intended to please THEMSELVES and not others. Keep your chin held high and do not fall to these modern tantrums that everyone in our Western World is so prone to these days...

In short: Man up! And keep on doing what you're doing.
Old 01 September 2021, 14:21   #11
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
[...] Note that I didn't post this thread for having a few pats on my back. [...]
Ouai, ouai, ouai

Quote:
[...] It's more about the weird nature of what people expect and how they hate on new Amiga games. [...]
As we cannot please everybody, some comments have to be left aside .
Old 01 September 2021, 14:34   #12
grond

Probably a lot of people overestimate the Amiga's capabilities because of its fame back in the day. If they looked at what Amiga games really were like, they'd probably would be quite disappointed. This doesn't mean those games weren't great in 1987-89, it was some of the best that was possible in home computer technology, it just means that "everything looks better in black and white".
Old 01 September 2021, 14:48   #13
sparhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
Probably a lot of people overestimate the Amiga's capabilities because of its fame back in the day. If they looked at what Amiga games really were like, they'd probably would be quite disappointed. This doesn't mean those games weren't great in 1987-89, it was some of the best that was possible in home computer technology, it just means that "everything looks better in black and white".

I think that nails it down quite well. On top of that, there may also be the nostalgia lenses clouding judgment. Back then, you tended to probably like also a shitty game, because that's what you got back then. And when you remember it today, graphics was great, sound was great, gameplay was great while all this really wasn't, but you still remember it that way. And to compete with that is pretty hard.
Old 01 September 2021, 17:36   #14
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortuguesePilot View Post
People are entitled to their opinions, regardless of you agreeing with them or not. Or don't you agree with this premiss? Why is everyone so perpetually offended by everything these days? Can't people just take on the criticism and move on? It's impossible to please everyone, so if YOU'RE pleased with your own achievements, that's all that matters. Personally, I think Inviyya looks, moves and sounds as good as an OCS game can and if it had come out in 1993 or so, it would be hailed as one of the best shoot-em 'up games on the Amiga hands-down. But for some people, in the post-emulation age, where everyone has played Neo-Geo or CPS1 shoot-em 'ups, it may look a tad too basic. Many people have lost their perspective. For these people, even Z-Out or Apydia look basic.

And as for the opinions themselves, this has been debated on EAB before: Amigans still expect AAA-quality games and they will compare any emerging new games to consecrated classics like The Chaos Engine, Superfrog, Rod-Land or SWIV. The Amiga saw its fair share of sub-par games back in its day and they were all very harshly judged by both press and public precisely because they used the great games as comparison standards yet those so-called "shitty games" were also someone's creation, someone's project, maybe even someone's "love-child". But in the end, people didn't care. For them, the game was either good or it sucked. This phenomenon will not go away. We're just gonna have to accept it, deal with it and keep on doing what we do. This means that anyone developing games for the Amiga must be strong enough (like everyone used to be back in the day) to not care about what anyone says and just push the game out as a personal project intended to please THEMSELVES and not others. Keep your chin held high and do not fall to these modern tantrums that everyone in our Western World is so prone to these days...

In short: Man up! And keep on doing what you're doing.
Yep, 100%

It's not that I don't know where my game stands, or I am unsure if it's poo or not.

I definitely know, that technically this is quite up there on what's possible on this kind of config.
I think the art style is quite good for the genre, and there are definitely some moments where the game looks crazy amazing for an Amiga 500 game. Don't want to pat my back here too much, but I just know since I played a lot of Amiga games, and compared.
The music is repeating a bit too much, but I think it generally works well enough.
The gameplay was tested again and again, and I am sure it works for a wide range of people. Beginners to intermediates will have fun with this. Which was my goal, since not all Amiga users these days are SHMUP cracks. You might prefer a different kind of gameplay, but that's simply an opinion.

So, what's my problem here you might ask?
It's simply the harshness of comments, that I wonder about. Inviyya might not be the second coming of Christ, but it's a solid game, that technically up there within what's possible on the hardware, and sounds and looks good, and plays well enough. Writing it's like an 8-bit game with Amiga music is a bit extreme.

But it's also the wideness of negative comments at display here again. Which is due to the "Amiga is not one system" thing, which goes a bit on my nerves.

You have people like me, Rooney and Graeme who like working with stock machines, and then you have those "PC people" with their upgraded machines, that view everything pure OCS as trash.

It's just so confusing sometimes you have so much hate and anger in this scene.
I haven't encountered this in any other scene.

On the other side there is so much positivity and great people around. Which might be another weird extreme. lol.

Sorry, just rambling some thoughts here after this disturbing experience of reading these shit people's comments.
Old 01 September 2021, 17:56   #15
sparhawk

Quote:
reading these shit people's comments.

Maybe THIS is the real problem.
Old 01 September 2021, 17:56   #16
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

"At MY time we had only two colors for character, no more no less" [old speccy man]
-_-
Old 01 September 2021, 17:57   #17
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

They chewed my tunes for Jackal despite Neeso being satisfied with it - yup negative feedback hurts even after several years despite we should be used to it...
Old 01 September 2021, 18:08   #18
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparhawk View Post
Maybe THIS is the real problem.
Probably.
Old 01 September 2021, 18:23   #19
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
[...] You have people like me, Rooney and Graeme who like working with stock machines, and then you have those "PC people" with their upgraded machines, that view everything pure OCS as trash. [...]
You should not worry for such comments.

Don't forget that PC gamers need, among others, to have 8GB of RAM & 1GB HD space to play a remake of Zool.
So of course, seeing amazing games with top gfx & music that runs on stock A500 or A1200 is making a big hole in their <censored>...
Old 01 September 2021, 18:23   #20
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
Well if they are available to pay production costs and wages for someone to work full-time some year on it AAA style they might have it, else this is the menu!