English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 06 November 2022, 14:58   #1
DaveEddie

Usb joystick to amiga adaptor?

Hi, I wondered if there is a way to use my usb PC joystick on my amiga? I've searched ebay but only come up with USB to PS2 mouse adaptors.
Old 06 November 2022, 15:10   #2
Marce
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveEddie View Post
Hi, I wondered if there is a way to use my usb PC joystick on my amiga? I've searched ebay but only come up with USB to PS2 mouse adaptors.
yes there is a way: use winuae

however there are some adapters for the old psx pads, but the old psx pads are very lame
Old 06 November 2022, 15:46   #3
Nightshft

That's an interesting question DaveEddie.

If you don't need the Usb part of the Joystick anymore you could go, open it up, strip the Joystick to USB converter that sits inside and wire it to a standard Joystick (DB9) cable.

An Adapter from USB to Joystick, apart from being extremely roundabout (connections are converted to usb in the Joystick housing and back to simple connections at an adapter outside) should be possible, but I've never seen one.

Would be a fun electronics project for sure.

Edit - in regard to what Daedalus wrote: I was assuming we talk about digital Joysticks.

Last edited by Nightshft; 06 November 2022 at 17:13.
Old 06 November 2022, 16:00   #4
Marce
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshft View Post

An Adapter from USB to Joystick, apart from being extremely roundabout (connections are converted to usb in the Joystick housing and back to simple connections at an adapter outside) should be possible, but I've never seen one.

Would be a fun electronics project for sure.
such adapter u are thinking about is possible but not for all usb joysticks
because all of them works in a different way

would it be possible to make an adapter for a certain type of joystick ie a usb adapter for the original xbox 360 pad (which would be fantastic)

but that adapter would not work on another usb joystick
Old 06 November 2022, 16:34   #5
Daedalus

There are adaptors out there that do it, yes. One example is the Rys Mk. II, which supports many different gamepads and controllers. There are a couple of main standards that are used by generic USB controllers, and if the controller in question sticks to one of those standards then the chances are it will work with the Rys.

However, just to clarify: When you say a PC joystick, do you mean an analogue stick or a digital stick? There are no adaptors that convert a USB analogue joystick to an Amiga analogue controller.
Old 06 November 2022, 17:44   #6
Nightshft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
However, just to clarify: When you say a PC joystick, do you mean an analogue stick or a digital stick? There are no adaptors that convert a USB analogue joystick to an Amiga analogue controller.
Now I start to imagine a uc setting pots via servos.
Old 06 November 2022, 18:46   #7
Daedalus

I have thought about making one using digital variable resistor networks, but your version sounds soooo much cooler!
Old 07 November 2022, 20:30   #8
DaveEddie

Thanks for the replies guys, it is an analogue unfortunately, and the Rys Mk II is out of stock anyway.
Old 07 November 2022, 23:45   #9
Daedalus

Ah yes... Your best bet for an analogue stick is to get an old-style 15-pin analogue stick for the PC. These can be used on the Amiga with a simple adaptor, and while not many games support them, the ones that do are usually greatly enhanced by the analogue control setup.
Old 08 November 2022, 01:43   #10
DaveEddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Ah yes... Your best bet for an analogue stick is to get an old-style 15-pin analogue stick for the PC. These can be used on the Amiga with a simple adaptor, and while not many games support them, the ones that do are usually greatly enhanced by the analogue control setup.
I do have an old 15-pin joystick with an adaptor but like you said it only supports a few games. It works great with Jet Pilot and Tornado but not much else. I was hoping maybe i could use my USB PC stick with my 1200. I think I will try and get a RYS mk2 and a digital PC USB joystick. I also have an old Amiga quickshot but the clicking is so loud and annoying. Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 08 November 2022, 03:09   #11
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveEddie View Post

I use this and has been great:

https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=95292