English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 01 July 2007, 18:58   #1
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Time Preferences HELP!

I am sure I read a thread like this just the other day but I cant find it...so, I cant set the time on my system - I go go to time in prefs but the option to save is greyed out... I can change the time and use but no save option is allowed - what is going on here?

I have a battery in my accelerator - it shouldn't be dead...
Old 01 July 2007, 19:00   #2
Graham Humphrey

Well it must be, or maybe it's not connected properly or something...

My clock is slightly dodgy - you can click on save but sometimes, when you boot it up, it will either be the time it was when the computer was turned off or it will reset to 16th December 2004, 1:59 PM. Though it does work properly sometimes.
Old 01 July 2007, 19:10   #3
fc.studio
Cat lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
Which accelerator do you have?
Old 01 July 2007, 19:44   #4
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Blizzard 060 - how easy is it to get the battery out and replace - I cant look at the moment...
Old 02 July 2007, 01:10   #5
Peter
Still an Amiga user

I have had it confirmed that the battery is working - it must be a software issue... no one experienced this before?
Old 02 July 2007, 02:17   #6
Peter
Still an Amiga user

When trying to use Facts (online time check) the system reports a Battclock resource error... wierd - dont know what to do...
Old 02 July 2007, 02:27   #7
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

thats very peculair.

and a completely new one on my my friend

okay the first thing that comes to mind is a simple check (that you most likely have done already)

1. Accellerator Driver Disk Installer

where the any sub programs that came on the disk ? I am assuming you installed the driver disk or your workbench would most likely of bombed out by now.
Old 02 July 2007, 07:27   #8
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Peter you could try MUI time prefs - http://aminet.net/search?query=time12.lha - there are some progs on Aminet also that checks if the clock time has changed since last reboot.
Old 02 July 2007, 08:53   #9
thomas

Quote:
It does not matter if there is a battery or not. The clock does work without battery, too, it only looses its time when you switch power off. If the clock cannot be found, then the clock chip is dead.

The clock chip is detected by reading the time, waiting one second and checking if the time has changed. In rare cases the clock chip is ok, but the bit to stop it running has been set. This bit can be reset by writing a 0 into the right memory address. Try to open a shell window and enter

setclock reset

If this does not work, try that: http://thomas-rapp.homepage.t-online...startClock.lha
It is the sledgehammer method: it fills the entrire memory area of the clock with zeroes without checking.

If both methods don't work, the clock is dead. RIP.
Old 02 July 2007, 11:45   #10
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Thanks for the advice guys - The Time12 MUI prog just crashes out... I tried your options Thomas and the system reports that "there is no battery backed up clock"...??

I will have to take the 060 card out and put it into my other desktop A1200 and test it that way - if it works in there then it must be something wrong with the setup of the tower... I can take my 030 Blizzard out the desktop and put that in the tower to see if the battery backed up clock is recognised on that card...

watch this space...
Old 02 July 2007, 16:24   #11
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Ok - I put my Blizzard 030 into the tower and the 030 booted OS3.9 fine but promted the same reaction as the Blizzard 060 i.e... the Battclock not recognised and the save option in time prefs greyed out - when I put the 030 back into the A1200 Desktop it works fine - time saves OK...

I couldnt test the 060 card in the desktop as I dont want to mess with the configuration of my desktop too much - I have a lot of stuff on it.

It proves that there is something wrong with either the OS install or the motherboard in the tower - remember this is a 1D.1 MB - any problems with battery backed clocks spring to mind with this revision?

Maybe I damaged something on the MB when I removed the clockport pins...

I will try to install everything from scratch again on a different hard drive and see where things go wrong... I am sure I remember when I first started to configure the tower I was using a ram expansion and the time on that saved ok - really must write things down as I go along ... well if anyone has any ideas??
Old 02 July 2007, 17:43   #12
Peter
Still an Amiga user

The plot thickens - I installed OS 3.1 onto another hard drive using the 8 MB ram expansion - went into time prefs and I am able to save... install the latest 060 libs for the 060 card - put the 060 card in - reboot, go into prefs and the time save option is greyed out - so maybe it is the card...

Zetr0 - I downloaded the 060 system disk from Phase 5 and installed that - I tried the earlier libs as well but no luck.

So the ram expansion works...
The 030 works in the desktop but not in the tower
The 060 does not work in the tower - I will have to try the desktop when I get the time (no pun intended)

Somebody wave a magic wand please...
Old 03 July 2007, 01:03   #13
fc.studio
Cat lover

On my A1200 rev. 1D.1 and Blizzard 1230/IV clock works and saves fine.
Old 03 July 2007, 01:36   #14
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
The plot thickens - I installed OS 3.1 onto another hard drive using the 8 MB ram expansion - went into time prefs and I am able to save... install the latest 060 libs for the 060 card - put the 060 card in - reboot, go into prefs and the time save option is greyed out - so maybe it is the card...

Zetr0 - I downloaded the 060 system disk from Phase 5 and installed that - I tried the earlier libs as well but no luck.

So the ram expansion works...
The 030 works in the desktop but not in the tower
The 060 does not work in the tower - I will have to try the desktop when I get the time (no pun intended)

Somebody wave a magic wand please...
just thinking outside the box here,

can you just check that NONE of the clock port pins you removed have been grounded in anyway. infact it might be wise to check the whole lot.

the mobo could be reporting that the RTC is in wrong memory location.

again... its outside the box. but its the only thing that comes to me.
Old 03 July 2007, 01:45   #15
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Hmmm... I was wondering if the clockport pins may raise their ugly heads again... it did take some persuading to get them out but I was pretty careful... looks like I am going to have to take this tower to pieces again... how do you mean "grounded" in any way??
Old 03 July 2007, 02:24   #16
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@peter

I mean grounded, in the sence any pins short together, by swarf or by contact. (not grinded lol)

I have to admit my friend, that i am thinking outside the box on this one, the only thing that I know of (and it was rare AFAIK) that would work on the left hand populated clock ports was infact a CBM RTC, if i am not mistaken CBM only ever manufactured lefthand populated clockports with RTC's on them.

I could be wrong, but that what i managed to pick up being an A1200 nutt for the past 14 years
Old 03 July 2007, 02:44   #17
Peter
Still an Amiga user

It is weird why the 8 meg ram expansion works though - but only when I put either the 030 or the 060 in, neither of them want to save...

I must admit I have downloaded from Aminet one of those clock checkers - the sort of thing that tells you your clock is F*cked every time you boot and gives you the option to change it before you progress

An easier way out - I guess it's not a perfect world...

I'm sure it is the Mediator set up I have clashing with the Blizzards - if I change the mother board one of these days I will do some more early testing without the Mediator in place and see what happens.
Old 07 July 2007, 17:46   #18
ancalimon
Supernormal

I remember having an isue with the clock battery. I couldn't save the time and A4000T took ages to start booting from cstormppc scsi. I downloaded some kind of scsi clock battery thingy from aminet and wrote something to the battery and that was it. I could save the time and machine booted properly.
Old 07 July 2007, 23:55   #19
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Anyone have any idea as to what this download may have been?
Old 08 July 2007, 00:01   #20
ancalimon
Supernormal

on aminet search "scsi 3000" one of those files might the one I used. I don't remember unfortunately.

also search "battery"