English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware pics

Old 21 October 2012, 04:25   #1
demolition
Unregistered User

Optical Amiga mouse

I didn't like the idea so much having visible converter boxes/PCBs for connecting USB/PS2 mice to the Amiga, and don't want to make holes in my Amigas, so I decided to just convert a Logitech Optical mouse to Amiga usage by putting the needed electronics inside the mouse which had plenty of room.

I had an old joystick that was beyond repair so I salvaged its cable and used it for the mouse. It both looks and works great.

The scroll and middle mouse doesn't work though as that would require a secondary cable to the parallel port, which would ruin the look, but I can live without that function, as I'm not using the Amiga for webbrowsing anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Logitech wheel mouse.jpg
Views:	2104
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	32948  
Old 21 October 2012, 10:43   #2
robinsonb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
I didn't like the idea so much having visible converter boxes/PCBs for connecting USB/PS2 mice to the Amiga, and don't want to make holes in my Amigas, so I decided to just convert a Logitech Optical mouse to Amiga usage by putting the needed electronics inside the mouse which had plenty of room.
Nice work!

Quote:
The scroll and middle mouse doesn't work though as that would require a secondary cable to the parallel port, which would ruin the look, but I can live without that function, as I'm not using the Amiga for webbrowsing anyway.
Which PS/2 converter did you use? If it's something you've developed yourself you could look at multiplexing some of the mouse port functions, similar to how Sega / CD32 pads do it?
Old 21 October 2012, 12:19   #3
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsonb5 View Post
Which PS/2 converter did you use? If it's something you've developed yourself you could look at multiplexing some of the mouse port functions, similar to how Sega / CD32 pads do it?
I just grabbed a hex file from here: http://aminet.net/package/docs/hard/ps2m
What do you mean by multiplexing? Like middle mouse will be similar to pressing left+right?
Old 21 October 2012, 22:45   #4
robinsonb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
I just grabbed a hex file from here: http://aminet.net/package/docs/hard/ps2m
What do you mean by multiplexing? Like middle mouse will be similar to pressing left+right?
All three mouse button lines on the Amiga mouse port can be used as outputs as well as inputs, so it's possible for the microcontroller (with suitable programming of course) to vary the function of the left/right mouse button pins depending on the state of the middle mouse button pin.

Sega pads do something similar to multiplex the fire B and C lines onto buttons A and Start, while CD32 pads contain an 8-bit serial shift register. There are several different ways someone with a little ingenuity and a command of PIC or AVR assembly could get extra data from the mouse to the Amiga without having to use a second cable.

(You'd need a driver on the Amiga too, of course.)
Old 21 October 2012, 22:57   #5
demolition
Unregistered User

I don't have much use for a middle button though, but scrolling could be useful.
Old 14 March 2013, 16:50   #6
spanner
none

Can you show a pic of the mouse insides..??....lol...who wants to see the insides of a mouse..yuck..