English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 20 June 2022, 16:14   #1
Aminator

Wordworth problems

Is there a way to get wordworth working on a partition larger than 2gb in workbench 3.1?
You can't even install the program to larger partitions using the original installer, but if you use the installer supplied in OS3.9 you can install the program but it won't run, complaining about missing documents and fonts or something.
Old 20 June 2022, 16:44   #2
christoff522

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminator View Post
Is there a way to get wordworth working on a partition larger than 2gb in workbench 3.1?
You can't even install the program to larger partitions using the original installer, but if you use the installer supplied in OS3.9 you can install the program but it won't run, complaining about missing documents and fonts or something.
Hi, you don't say what system you're using. I know that if you are using WINUAE you can go on the hard drives screen and click limit size of directory drives to 1gb.

If it's on real hardware I have no idea, and I hope someone here can help.
Old 20 June 2022, 16:47   #3
Aminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by christoff522 View Post
Hi, you don't say what system you're using. I know that if you are using WINUAE you can go on the hard drives screen and click limit size of directory drives to 1gb.

If it's on real hardware I have no idea, and I hope someone here can help.
I'm using real amiga 1200
Old 20 June 2022, 16:53   #4
christoff522

Quote:
I'm using real amiga 1200
Okay, I've thought of an idea.
You could, make an install of workbench in WINUAE, get it perfect and install wordworth on it, then copy the fonts folder and the wordworth install over to your Amiga, I'm guessing that you're using a CF or SD card anyway.

It's only the installer that has the problem and the program will run fine once it's installed.
Old 20 June 2022, 17:00   #5
Aminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by christoff522 View Post
Okay, I've thought of an idea.
You could, make an install of workbench in WINUAE, get it perfect and install wordworth on it, then copy the fonts folder and the wordworth install over to your Amiga, I'm guessing that you're using a CF or SD card anyway.

It's only the installer that has the problem and the program will run fine once it's installed.
Installer is not the problem, it's the program wordworth itself, i think the program checks for the partition size somehow and if it's too large it just wont work.
Old 20 June 2022, 17:00   #6
thomas

Which version of WW?
Old 20 June 2022, 17:02   #7
Aminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Which version of WW?
All versions of wordworth seem to have the same problem, but what i want on my system is wordworth 7.
Old 20 June 2022, 17:07   #8
daxb

You can fill up the larger 2GB partition with data to get a little bit less then 2GB free space on that partition. Now the old Installer should work.

You can install on a partition smaller then 2GB or RamDisk. When finished copy the WordWorth directory to the partition/place you want it. All path/prefs must be changed manually.

Remove the drive size check in the install script should also work.

First, check your current (not working) install of WW (version 7.01?) for path settings. E.g. tooltypes on Wordworth.info, ENVARC:Wordworth prefs files. Maybe rename WordworthPrefs and last but not least use SnoopDOS.
Old 20 June 2022, 17:11   #9
christoff522

Quote:
Installer is not the problem, it's the program wordworth itself, i think the program checks for the partition size somehow and if it's too large it just wont work.
No, I use Wordworth 7 on a 480G partition, it's the installer checking if the partition is over 2G, then it won't install. Whatever the 3.9 installer does it tricks the installation into thinking it's only 1G but for whatever reason that didn't work for you.

So long as you can transfer the necessary files across, then Wordworth will work, once installed it doesn't check partition size, its basically checking if theres enough space to install, once installed it knows it has enough space otherwise it wouldn't be installed so theres no more checks.
Old 21 June 2022, 00:44   #10
Aminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
You can fill up the larger 2GB partition with data to get a little bit less then 2GB free space on that partition. Now the old Installer should work.

You can install on a partition smaller then 2GB or RamDisk. When finished copy the WordWorth directory to the partition/place you want it. All path/prefs must be changed manually.

Remove the drive size check in the install script should also work.

First, check your current (not working) install of WW (version 7.01?) for path settings. E.g. tooltypes on Wordworth.info, ENVARC:Wordworth prefs files. Maybe rename WordworthPrefs and last but not least use SnoopDOS.
Filling up the disk method worked for me it seems
Thank you for the advice.
Old 21 June 2022, 15:02   #11
Korodny
Zone Friend

It would have been easier to install to RAM:, then move the finished directory to your HD. You only have to change a single ENV variable to point to the new location afterwards.
Old 22 June 2022, 08:48   #12
SnoopDOS

To get round this run WW installer and install to RAM: then move the drawer to your Hard drive
Old 22 June 2022, 11:46   #13
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopDOS View Post
To get round this run WW installer and install to RAM: then move the drawer to your Hard drive
Did you read the post above yours
Old 29 June 2022, 09:49   #14
Jope
-

I get around those by commenting out the free space check from the install script. :-)
Old 29 June 2022, 11:48   #15
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
I get around those by commenting out the free space check from the install script. :-)
Yep - done that one a few times myself recently