English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Apps

Old 14 June 2022, 19:28   #1
DLG
Damn Lucky Guy

Any fractal creating softwares recommended...?

First,let me show my thanks to all those people who welcomed me to join the Amiga community. That warm reply on my first thread truly gives me the motivation of exploring more things about it...! Sorry to bother you but I'm asking for help here again...
I had been a hobbist of fractal art for just a bit shorter than three years and quitted it half a year ago. It was such a surprise to know that there are also some fractal program on Amiga and if I could find one(or more?) of them which is suitable for me,I will get my fractal hobby back and go deeper into the Amiga hobby at the same time...!!
I am not very interested in Mandelbrot zooms and the procedure of making my fractal art before basically consists of trying different coloring algorithms on one simple escape-time fractal structure(generic Julia set,Phoenix Julia,etc.),making a lot of image layers and putting them together.
In other words,what I mostly need in a fractal program is the variety and complexity of coloring algorithms and I don't care too much about the rendering speed since I seldomly zoom too deep into the fractal structures.
The fractal program I had used before on PC (called Ultra Fractal,if someone want to know...)is powerful enough for me but I am almost completely no longer able to use it because of some other people's misfortunes related to it...
I already stopped thinking anything philosophical about how the fractal appears in real life. However,creating fractal art was still the only hobby and skill which had lasted the longest. That's why having quitted fractal art mildly makes me boring and hopeless...
Although there seems to be even more similar tragedies exist on the Amiga scene,the warmth given by other members on this board really helped me to go on exploring more about Amiga,including these fractal programs...
*Sips energy drink*
Well,just ignore these emotional stuff for now and there's indeed some exploration I've already made.

Firstly I tried the Amiga port of Fractint, a fractal program which I had heard of but never used before. Although it comes with a GUI,it's still a bit hard to get familiar with it. However,sometimes it randomly hangs at start-up,only showing the main window(without a welcome window saying "TP says hi!") and the cursor is showing a "busy" status(the one that looks like a stopwatch) and I remember that I couldn't move the cursor too. I tried these methods in the help guide but it didn't work. Luckily,I've found some threads reporting similiar issue of other softwares on WinUAE and remembered that the creator of this emulator has said that it may be caused by the JIT compiler... So I tried turning it off and remembered that it worked!
However, there's always some times when I followed the guide text to press some keys,but only getting no results. Even I haven't got to know how to edit palette in that program now...*blushes*

Secondly I downloaded Fractal Universe from Aminet (FU1_61i.lha & fu1_62.lha) but both of them failed to be installed. Then I googled it and found its official website(http://www.sonicpulse.de/eng/p_fu_download.html),downloaded the LZX file and successfully installed it. Although it's a shareware,I still played around with it for a while and found that its coloring algorithms are still not as advanced as what I needed.

Thirdly I tried ChaosPro and got impressed by its different types of windows. It's a good program and it's a free distribution. Sadly,sorry for making me look a little too demanding but the coloring algorithm is still too basic...

I didn't give up searching for powerful Amiga fractal programs.Last weekend I searched for other posts which may have mentioned some infos about these programs and finally found the name ZoneXplorer.
This time,I was shocked by what a talented person the creator of this program is even before trying finding out whether it's the most suitable one. It may be weird to say so but this admiration for a certain person also slowed down my attempt of trying this program. I just worry about how these skilled persons are going in this terrible life which seems like almost everyone is not going well...
Uh...Let's ignore these emotional stuff again...*Takes another sip of emergy drink*
I also searched for some other people's artwork made by this program and got some unnerving but surprising results...
(https://www.pixiv.net/artworks/19545847)
It made me nervous to find this link again and paste it here... I've also published some fractal art made by PC software on Pixiv but I just can't deny this platform is some sort of "modern" things for me and it makes me feel only a bit not very good when something about Amiga appeared there...
Well,let me stop...*Sips energy drink again*
However, along with a little bit of worry, there also comes with the hope that I can finally create fractal images with complex coloring algorithms... Yeah!
Although I'm still a bit nervous to it,I'll go on finding the software with enough features which can be used for optimal fractal creating when I have enough free time.
If you have some suggestions on choosing fractal softwares,feel free to tell me and it will help me a lot...!
By the way,I am also curious about image processing software which can be used for post-processing of my future fractal images...Although I can still do these processes on Windows softwares but it looks still a bit awkward to make these images not 100% made in (an emulated) Amiga...
Old 14 June 2022, 19:36   #2
DLG
Damn Lucky Guy

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=67443
Ah... I had a blurred memory about seeing this thread before but I forgot it again until seeing the "similiar thread" session on this page...
Old 15 June 2022, 03:00   #3
matt3k

I used Window Blender many years ago... Sadly I know nothing about creating Fractals...

Let me know if you want it, it is about 77k.
Old 15 June 2022, 10:54   #4
DLG
Damn Lucky Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt3k View Post
I used Window Blender many years ago... Sadly I know nothing about creating Fractals...

Let me know if you want it, it is about 77k.
Thank you for your reply! I am also a little curious about it but have no idea of what 77k is...
Old 15 June 2022, 19:58   #5
matt3k

77k meaning 77 kilobytes in size...
Old 16 June 2022, 04:49   #6
DLG
Damn Lucky Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt3k View Post
77k meaning 77 kilobytes in size...
Thank you... Now I get quite interested in it!
Old 16 June 2022, 05:22   #7
Matt_H

I was never all that interested in fractals, but I remember them being really popular on the Amiga around 1998-2002 or so. All the magazines (before they closed) had regular fractal features. I think ZoneXplorer was considered to be one of the best.

Have a look at the gfx/fract directory on Aminet for some other shareware/freeware options. I also recently came across Mand2000, former commercial software from the original developer of one of the Amiga's most important text editors.
Old 16 June 2022, 05:51   #8
DLG
Damn Lucky Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_H View Post
I was never all that interested in fractals, but I remember them being really popular on the Amiga around 1998-2002 or so. All the magazines (before they closed) had regular fractal features. I think ZoneXplorer was considered to be one of the best.

Have a look at the gfx/fract directory on Aminet for some other shareware/freeware options. I also recently came across Mand2000, former commercial software from the original developer of one of the Amiga's most important text editors.
Thanks a lot!
At least two years ago,I felt lonely because of how niche fractal is and it would definitely blow my mind if I could know that there's some time when fractal was popular...!
Now everything becomes different and in opposite, it does brings me sense of security that almost nobody around me knows about the Amiga.
I've already downloaded a lot of different fractal software from Aminet but just don't have enough free time to try all of them... I'm going to get started with ZoneXplorer myself and wish that my lost fractal hobby could be back again with this software.
Old 16 June 2022, 06:17   #9
DLG
Damn Lucky Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_H View Post

Also, I remembered seeing the name Mand2000 when I was using those PC fractal softwares and publishing these fractal images on DeviantArt. Several days before, I tried this program myself and it's also interesting. However, I still need advanced coloring algorithms for formal fractal image creating...
Old 16 June 2022, 17:58   #10
DLG
Damn Lucky Guy

I've read the txt manual of ZoneXplorer and what I've got is only how to navigate the fractal structure in these example files... When looking for any tutorials, I only found these interviews to the author of this program and overwhelmed by the admiration for how talented she is... The hope of getting the lost fractal hobby and skills back became dimmer but thanks to all people replied to me...
Old 16 June 2022, 19:38   #11
rare_j
Zone Friend

There's an article on fractals and fractal software in Amiga World magazine here:

Pdf download
Old 17 June 2022, 02:51   #12
marcfrick2112
Amiga Fanatic

Zone Explorer is my go-to fractal program, creates some amazing images. Just my .02 .
Old 17 June 2022, 05:50   #13
DLG
Damn Lucky Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare_j View Post
There's an article on fractals and fractal software in Amiga World magazine here:

Pdf download
Thank you!!
Old 17 June 2022, 05:55   #14
DLG
Damn Lucky Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcfrick2112 View Post
Zone Explorer is my go-to fractal program, creates some amazing images. Just my .02 .
Hmmm... It's still a little difficult to get started with it because it has many aspects different from these fractal softwares I used before. But these artworks other people created by it are really impressing and I will definitely try hard to create anything using this software myself.

Last edited by DLG; 17 June 2022 at 07:42.
Old 05 July 2022, 16:30   #15
pandy71

Check https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandelbulb (sadly to say but i'm not aware of any similar software for Amiga)
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 05 July 2022, 17:50   #16
drHirudo
Amiga user

For AmigaOS 4 check out FlashMandelNG, which is still in active development:

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 08 July 2022, 17:01   #17
DLG
Damn Lucky Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy71 View Post
Check https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandelbulb (sadly to say but i'm not aware of any similar software for Amiga)
[ Show youtube player ]
Thank you and sorry for seeing your reply so late... Mandelbulb3D is a powerful PC fractal software and becoming skilled in this software is hard to me. Hope there will be an Amiga fractal software which is easier to use and comes with enough artistic features in the future.
Old 08 July 2022, 17:09   #18
DLG
Damn Lucky Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by drHirudo View Post
For AmigaOS 4 check out FlashMandelNG, which is still in active development:

[ Show youtube player ]

Thank you! I don't have AmigaOS 4 myself though...