English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 14 January 2016, 23:23   #1
8bitbubsy

ProTracker 2.3F

I've made a new ProTracker version (v2.3F), based on a disassembly and re-source of PT2.3D. I've basically fixed a ton of PT2.3D bugs. I've also removed the DMAWait concept (busy loop), which has been replaced with a scanline wait so that the tracker runs without problems on accelerated Amigas.

The binary is bugfixed every now and then, even if it says it's the final version!

Download: https://16-bits.org/PT23F.LHA
Bootable ADF: https://16-bits.org/PT23F.ADF

Thanks to h0ffman and Miikka for some of the 128kB sample support code.

Last edited by 8bitbubsy; 07 March 2023 at 18:46.
Old 14 January 2016, 23:27   #2
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
that is awesome work!
Old 15 January 2016, 00:05   #3
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

What about that bug that - at least on my 1200 - prevented me from selecting enter+numeric keypad instrument higher than 13, while on 500 let me select all 32 instruments?

Plus, if you want more qualified feedback, i would suggest you to post in this FB group too
Old 15 January 2016, 00:08   #4
8bitbubsy

I think that was fixed in PT2.3D. Detron & Duff did an A1200 keyboard fix in that version. Remember that PT2.3B to PT2.3D were hacks by D&D, while PT2.3A was the last version by Peter 'Crayon' Hanning.
Try PT2.3E out and see if it works or not, or else I might look into it one day. I kind of need an A1200 first though, because the numpad mapping is weird in WinUAE.

Also a small correction: There were never 32 samples. 31 is the correct number. :-)
Old 15 January 2016, 04:42   #5
Amiga1992

Oh my goodness, I love this! I will give it a try!
Any chance of making the already existing MIDI code in the PT1.x/2.x fork work with this version? I tried to make it work to no avail

Quote:
- On .MOD load: Sample loop lengths of 0 or 1 are set to 2 (prevents PT freeze when loading malicious .MODs)
That thing had ruined many afternoons many times. We had to fix it for PT-1210 too!
Old 15 January 2016, 11:30   #6
tolkien
AmigaMan

Thanks! I'll try later today. Great man!
Old 15 January 2016, 13:17   #7
8bitbubsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Any chance of making the already existing MIDI code in the PT1.x/2.x fork work with this version? I tried to make it work to no avail
What do you mean? Is MIDI broken in PT2.3E? If it's not exactly like PT2.3D then it's bugged indeed, I have no way to test it...
Old 15 January 2016, 13:38   #8
corpsicle

Brilliant! That DMAwait ... thing (had to take a deep breath there to not say any nasty words) have been bothering me for years.
Thanks a lot for this. =)
Old 15 January 2016, 15:52   #9
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
thanks Olav, that's an awesome initiative !!!!
Old 15 January 2016, 15:57   #10
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bitbubsy View Post
What do you mean? Is MIDI broken in PT2.3E? If it's not exactly like PT2.3D then it's bugged indeed, I have no way to test it...
There's not a complete MIDI implementation in PT2.3D (you can only input some MIDI note data), but older forks had code for MIDI clock, which I tried to inject into a new version and failed. I was wondering if you could include this functionality or if you don't want to bother (I would understand ).
Old 15 January 2016, 16:26   #11
8bitbubsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
There's not a complete MIDI implementation in PT2.3D (you can only input some MIDI note data), but older forks had code for MIDI clock, which I tried to inject into a new version and failed. I was wondering if you could include this functionality or if you don't want to bother (I would understand ).
Ah I see. I don't have any knowledge with MIDI and stuff, so I don't think I can help you out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
Ich find das langsame Scrollen trotzdem hinderlich bei der Benutzung (A1200 040/40 3.1 DBLPal auf WB).

Shift + Cursor zum markieren ist speziell. Normal wird damit ja Seitenweise gescrollt, bzw. zum Textende. Warum soll man sich umgewöhnen müssen. Die übliche Tastatursteuerung fehlt auch. Warum die Bedienung so kompliziert, bzw. speziell? Wie auch immer, beim kurzen antesten sind zumindestens keine Fehler aufgetreten.
Please, write in English... I'm not German! It didn't make much sense when I used Google translate, I don't understand what you mean.
EDIT: Got someone to translate for me. Well, I'm not sure what you're talking about. Those keyboard things should be just like PT2.3D, except that there are some delay bugs on really fast Amigas that I fixed, so that the delay speeds are the same on 68000 and 68060 etc. Are you a ProTracker 3.x guy?

Last edited by 8bitbubsy; 15 January 2016 at 16:37.
Old 15 January 2016, 20:06   #12
daxb

Sorry, I got confused posting on different forums at the same time. "Just" a copy/paste error because of offline writing.

I started your PT version on my A1200 040/40 3.1 to test it. Check "everything" out and played the mod while doing that. After some time I wanted to tab through channels but the cursor didn`t move. So editing wasn`t possible. Then I quit PT and got a guru. Just for your record because I don`t now what I did before to cause the error.
Old 15 January 2016, 20:10   #13
8bitbubsy

Argh... Those weird bugs that aren't consistant... Can you try to reproduce it in some way?

Last edited by 8bitbubsy; 17 January 2016 at 15:38.
Old 16 January 2016, 13:40   #14
daxb

The guru happens when I start PT from WB, quit it, start it again and quit. When I start it somewhere early at startup-sequence time no guru happens. So maybe something running here could cause it. I`m not so interested in find out the causer. Checked 2.3d and the same guru happens just after start/quit it from WB. Seems my system environment doesn`t like it.

If you or someone else don`t get the error you should ignore this.

Code:
Error : 0100000C (Recoverable)
By    : ExecLibrary
Cause : Sanity check on memory list failed during AvailMem(MEMF_LARGEST)
Old 16 January 2016, 23:17   #15
8bitbubsy

I have no idea what causes that, so I don't know how to fix it...

Anyways, I fixed some more PT2.3D bugs:
- The VU-Meters are now bug free at high tempos (BPM)
- The VU-Meters and Quadrascope now retrigger on E9x (Note Retrig)

And here's some newly introduced bugs that I fixed (bugs that I made by accident):
- The scopes could get stuck if there was data after the loop end point
- E8x (Karplus-Strong) had some remaining debug code that would mess up things, removed...
- The sample marking routine could overwrite bitplane data on the very right side of the sample data window
- The channel mute routine that is called from the keyboard keys (e.g. CTRL+A) was missing an RTS instruction and would mess up channel #1

The LHA in the URL for the archive is updated, and it will always be the same URL.

Last edited by 8bitbubsy; 17 January 2016 at 16:00.
Old 17 January 2016, 19:26   #16
Estrayk

I've tested and all seems works fine now with those bugs fixed. thanks a lot 8bitbubsy.
Old 17 January 2016, 19:34   #17
8bitbubsy

I'm currently coding a "real VU-meters" mode, it works beautifully so far. Will be ready tomorrow or something.

EDIT: It's done. Go grab the latest PT2.3E from the same link in the first post. You can toggle real/fake VU-meter mode in setup screen #2. The mode is saved/loaded to/from any PT2.3 config file. It's set to FAKE by default.
The real mode is not spot on all the times, because of the quadrascope step sizes being way too big (scopes are 50Hz, amplitude is borrowed from them) and for some other reasons. It should behave a bit like the PT3.x "real" ones.

Last edited by 8bitbubsy; 18 January 2016 at 17:56.
Old 18 January 2016, 18:05   #18
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Absolutely love the work you're doing with this!

Perhaps sounds silly but, would it be possible to have it recognize Octamed modules and then convert them to playback via ProTracker format? I`m guessing it would require a lot of work.

Octamed has a basic conversion to save under sound tracker format, but it always screws the commands up in the process.
Old 18 January 2016, 18:09   #19
8bitbubsy

That sounds like a lot of work indeed, I don't think I have any plans to do that... I don't know anything about the Octamed formats at all, and knowing myself it would take forever until I understood how it works internally. Even with a documentation.
Old 18 January 2016, 18:19   #20
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Thanks for the reply. ProTracker was the very first music software I experimented with, but for whatever reason I ended up using Octamed.. I keep meaning to migrate back but I've picked up so many bad habbits over the years using Octamed

Quite a lot of the commands are the same or perform the same function but others are entirely unique to the software.

Nice work making this already great package even greater. Probably a good time to get back on track (pun intended) with this classic tracker