English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 20 March 2003, 22:01   #21
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Edge magazine has another load of retro stuff in the latest issue:

- An article about whether long-time gamers are now bored with games.
- An article about 50 games that made hardcore gamers what they are (it includes Lemmings and Project X - although Project X is credited as "Team 17's first title").
- A look at the GCE Vectrex console.
- A retro review of Super Mario Bros.
- The making of Turrican.

I hope that all the retro articles in magazines are not just a passing thing, as it's good to see the past of gaming taken more seriously.
Old 21 March 2003, 00:34   #22
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by jmmijo
I've just been watching John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness and noticed they were setting up what appeared to be an A1000 box. Of course it was doing the hard text translations
Missed this one the first time. What a SCARY movie this is! Severely underrated. And nice cameo from Alice Cooper!

Quote:
Originally posted by CodyJarrett
- An article about whether long-time gamers are now bored with games.
- An article about 50 games that made hardcore gamers what they are (it includes Lemmings and Project X - although Project X is credited as "Team 17's first title").

I hope that all the retro articles in magazines are not just a passing thing, as it's good to see the past of gaming taken more seriously.
Really, modern gamers are the ones who should be bored. 'Nuff said.

Project X - their first game? This info is so easy to research, you have to wonder why a serious writer would neglect such easy work as this.

Typically, the retro thing kicks in for most media after about 20 years. With retro-gaming, I think a lot of users jumped the gun on the statistics. Good thing too, cuz if not, I wouldn't even be here (on the 'scene').
Old 21 March 2003, 11:45   #23
manicx

Bored?

I still play Kick Off 2 everyday with me pals and even organise WC... There are many Retro gatherings (Retrovision in England is quite a good laugh) and Retro Gathering in Athens in about 4 weeks is going to kick ass... Bored? Naaaa. Now I am going to play Unreal 2 in myyyyyyyyyyy PPPPPPpppppppppCccc...
Old 21 March 2003, 22:17   #24
Mangar
Got the fever back

My pharmacy here in Canada has the same setup. An A500 hooked up to a closed circuit television.

Our National Music Network, MuchMusic still uses Amiga's.
Old 21 March 2003, 23:00   #25
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Issue 04 of Games(TM) has a nice 28 page Retro section, as usual.

There is an article about The Bitmap Brothers, which covers all the Amiga classics. One of the questions is asking the Bros whether they would do a perfect conversion of Amiga Speedball 2 for current consoles!
Old 29 March 2003, 02:32   #26
Calen

I started buying PC Zone a few months back and was suprised on how much the Amiga does get mentioned, my respect for the mag went up after that and i buy it ever since.
Nothing more annoying than in computer games history the Amiga doesnt get a mention, bah!

Computer Shopper issue 181 the Amiga gets a mention on its history as it's the mags 15th anniversary special, sadly the Amiga doesnt get its picture put in it but at least the C64 did.
Shopper in my opinion has always been a good little read (when you get threw all the overkill advertisements) and if memory serves me correctly they use to have there own little Amiga section to
Old 29 March 2003, 12:43   #27
spiff
Oh noes!

An A500 runs the scoreboard at the local bath.. things like: "We close at 19:00" and such..
Old 01 April 2003, 14:11   #28
Wally

I'm a Pest controller and am in the process of being trained to do termite inspections. Was recently crawling under a house when I spied an old piece of junk mail. It turned out to be a Kmart brochure with a section about this great new computer, an Amiga 500. I think it was the family pack for $899 Australian. Should have stuck it in my pocket.
Old 02 April 2003, 20:35   #29
andy
Back.

Couldn't agree more, Akira!

Since when was looking like a 16 or 8-bit game a badthing?

To the guys who mentioned currently-used Amigas: there's definitely something cool about that

To anyone else, is it true that the Australian soap opera, Neighbours, featured the Amiga from time to time? I used to read and hear about it 'way back when' (late eighties- very early nineties, I think); but not watching that kind of show , it wasn't something I witnessed.

Regarding a Speedball 2 update... I know it's MS :suspiciou ; but I'd sure love to see a double-pixel-perfect 5.1 edition on my 'box ...or a DPLII version on my Cube
Old 04 April 2003, 12:50   #30
Wally

I read the end credits of an old Neighbours episode a couple of months back and the shows computers were supplied by Commodore Australia.
Old 04 April 2003, 13:19   #31
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Set your videos tonight for the film "The Rachel Papers" on at 3.15am this morning on channel 4 where Dexter Fletcher uses his Amiga 500 to bag a woman. He does manages to get her in the sack!

Last edited by Antiriad; 04 April 2003 at 13:33.
Old 10 April 2003, 23:31   #32
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

The current issue of PC Gamer (May 2003) has a mention of the Amiga on page 16, in one of the regular articles called 'Devil's Advocate'. This month, Kieron Gillen (he used to be C-Monster in Amiga Power) is writing it and is talking about a lack of variety in today's games:

Quote:
"All was peaceful. All was still. I was looking at the desk where my trusty Amiga once sat, where honoured sibling Cheesecake and I wasted hours playing - ooh - just about anything. I smiled, weakly submitting to nostalgia, and rolled over to face the wall. Amiga game boxes, marching shoulder to shoulder down the shelves. I'm immediately struck by something: variety. If a sort of game existed, you can bet at least one example found its way onto the shelves of those pesky Gillen boys. If it was out, we played it.

We saw the birth of the modern RTS with Dune 2. We went into the pits with Eye Of The Beholder or went a-shopping in the gloriously bugged Legends Of Valour. Platforms were traversed by every means imaginable, reaching to pseudopodia in Putty. Puzzle games. Sports games of all varieties..."