English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 26 April 2021, 10:24   #1
AmiBoy

PiMiga for real?

Hi everyone, new to this forum and relatively new to Amiga scene.
I have been more close to the Atari side of things and have always been keeping an eye to the Amiga. I own two A1200s (one is complimented with a 29MHz 68020 accelerator and I just got a 68030 accelerator for the other) and I must say they are very nice computers.
I have also been looking at the Amiga emulation scene and stumbled upon the PiMiga which seems to be one of the most complete projects around.
I thought though that the disk structure of PiMiga, the Amiga parts, could also work on a real Amiga and since I am new in these fields I am looking for some help.
I understand the part of finding out the paths to the "actual Amiga disks" in the mounted volumes in PiMiga. Do I just image these volumes to a separate hard disk and stick it into the Amiga? Does it need something more than that?
Old 26 April 2021, 16:44   #2
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
Talk to Fuzzboy - he extracted the disks and imported them into Winuae.. I think that`s all you need to do.. but not sure how you get them on your Amiga hdd as partitions. PLus you would need to replicate the config on your real setup.. to get the best out of it.
Old 26 April 2021, 17:33   #3
AmiBoy

Won't it work the same way the disks are imported in WinUAE? Unless of course he imported them as separate hard drives.
Thanks for the response
Old 26 April 2021, 17:34   #4
AmiBoy

And maybe you meant FuzzBall and not Fuzzboy? Referring to this thread: https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=106739?
Old 26 April 2021, 17:43   #5
Fuzzball

I extracted the disk directories from the img file using DiskInternals Linux Reader (in Windows). You mount the img from the menu and then look for the rootfs partition in the list.

From there go to / 1\home\pi\pimiga\disks\ folder and save all the folders in there.

Also saved the a1200 config file from another folder but I forget which one now. (if you are doing this to a real Amiga you won't need that anyway).
Old 26 April 2021, 18:23   #6
AmiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzball View Post
I extracted the disk directories from the img file using DiskInternals Linux Reader (in Windows). You mount the img from the menu and then look for the rootfs partition in the list.

From there go to / 1\home\pi\pimiga\disks\ folder and save all the folders in there.

Also saved the a1200 config file from another folder but I forget which one now. (if you are doing this to a real Amiga you won't need that anyway).

Cheers. So I guess the folders are disk partitions and these can be imaged to individual disk partitions on a hard drive so they can be used with a real Amiga, right?
Old 26 April 2021, 18:54   #7
Anubis
Retro Gamer

I am not sure that I understand what do you need PiMiga on real Amiga.

IIRC you can get WB and some stuff that will work, but what possible reason do you have for rest of stuff that is not WHDLoad related and will work only under PiMiga?
Old 27 April 2021, 13:44   #8
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post

IIRC you can get WB and some stuff that will work, but what possible reason do you have for rest of stuff that is not WHDLoad related and will work only under PiMiga?
There`s a tonne of stuff on the drives.. it`s already set up... if they want to move them over to a capable, real Amiga.. then why not
Old 28 April 2021, 10:30   #9
AmiBoy

Quote:

I am relatively new to the Amiga scene. The default WB is not exactly in my taste and the themes PiMiga creator has applied are really an eye candy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainy View Post
There`s a tonne of stuff on the drives.. it`s already set up... if they want to move them over to a capable, real Amiga.. then why not
This is another very good reason.After all, it is just one to disk, I can keep it as spare.

While I am waiting for the 680830 accelerator to arrive, it would be good to prepare a bit.
Old 28 April 2021, 14:24   #10
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmiBoy View Post
I am relatively new to the Amiga scene. The default WB is not exactly in my taste and the themes PiMiga creator has applied are really an eye candy.
Mostly everyone is using one or other distribution that is based on one of vanilla versions. For example, on Amiga with extra memory and and on MiSTer FPGA I use ClassicWB Full, while on RPi and windows emulation I use ClassicWB P96 edition.

I did try most of other ones, but always end on one of ClassicWB versions because Bloodwitch did great job by preserving chip memory usage in his distros. Also to get most of new(er) versions you do need to have newer roms, video card, scandoubler etc... quite few expensive addition to Amiga.
Old 28 April 2021, 16:39   #11
AmiBoy

Quote:
Mostly everyone is using one or other distribution that is based on one of vanilla versions. For example, on Amiga with extra memory and and on MiSTer FPGA I use ClassicWB Full, while on RPi and windows emulation I use ClassicWB P96 edition.

I did try most of other ones, but always end on one of ClassicWB versions because Bloodwitch did great job by preserving chip memory usage in his distros. Also to get most of new(er) versions you do need to have newer roms, video card, scandoubler etc... quite few expensive addition to Amiga.
Well, I only have the accelerators (68020@28MHz and the 68030@28Mhz both with added 8MB), ROMs 3.1.4 and that's it. You think they will not be able to support the WB looks and the apps in the disks?
Old 28 April 2021, 17:39   #12
Anubis
Retro Gamer

PiMiga that I tried (both on RPi and one for WinUAE) both use Picasso video card for high desktop resolution.

You can get most of stuff work, but you will be limited to Amiga native resolution as far as I know.
Old 28 April 2021, 18:48   #13
AmiBoy

I see. Let's see how it shows and then I decide the next steps. Thing is that I don't really know how to tweak WB.
Old 30 April 2021, 19:03   #14
outsiderz
-[User]-

does anyone have a download link for the pimiga iso file?
i have watched the youtube video, it´s linked to a torrent file, i do not use/have torrent access. thanks.
Old 30 April 2021, 22:16   #15
Fuzzball

The only other download location I know of (for the 1.5 version) is Newsgroups. I can give you the nzb if it's any use.
Old 01 May 2021, 14:08   #16
outsiderz
-[User]-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzball View Post
The only other download location I know of (for the 1.5 version) is Newsgroups. I can give you the nzb if it's any use.

ok, i found a way thanks very much.
Old 04 May 2021, 11:05   #17
AmiBoy

I also got it via torrent. Not really fond of torrents but I couldn't find it otherwise.