English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 02 October 2018, 11:25   #21
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Hindsight View Post
The Settlers made it up to part 7 and was very popular in Germany, until Ubi had the great idea to implement an always-online drm in Settlers 7 and destroy the whole franchise.
Destroy?

[ Show youtube player ]

It's back with a vengeance.
Old 02 October 2018, 11:31   #22
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
does anyone know if twinworld is an amiga original game?
It's an enhanced ST port. The game code has been programmed and assembled on an Atari Mega ST machine.

(I can tell it before i have fragmented and extracted the whole game).

The Amiga version has better music and also a copper effect in game the ST doesn't have.
Old 02 October 2018, 12:29   #23
Nova

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
It's an enhanced ST port. The game code has been programmed and assembled on an Atari Mega ST machine.
thanks dlfrsilver and sorry for being offtopic

that is quite interresting, normally you would assume the 'superior' port is also the machine it originated from - so there also exist games that are enhanced st versions, never knew about that.

you far more often read about something like: another lame st conversion for the amiga. i wonder if there is more enhanced st games like twinworld?

ps: the hol entry should be corrected http://hol.abime.net/1546
Old 02 October 2018, 17:17   #24
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
you far more often read about something like: another lame st conversion for the amiga. i wonder if there is more enhanced st games like twinworld?
"Lame", well... TBH lame only really applies to action games where the framerate was less than supported by the Amiga hardware. Bitmap Bros actually made some enhancements in some of their games, the problem is that (again, for action games) they're quite irrelevant to gameplay and the general experience of the game. Screen sizes, palettes, and similar. Many (later) ST ports did well in one department, though: they did take advantage of the superior audio capabilities.

I guess the best example is Gods: looks good, sounds good, but the scrolling is atrocious. And with the dull game idea, it's enough to put at least me off playing. Another is Xenon 2, where the low framerate actually destroys the gameplay: it makes collision detection fail, which is quite an important function in a shooter.
Old 24 April 2021, 14:36   #25
dreadnought

I was looking at the "Is Amiga original" on HOL and saw a few questionable entries. Eg: Aaargh!, Xenon, Elite 2, F29 Retaliator.

Are these mistakes, or is there some reason for their inclusion?
Old 24 April 2021, 15:47   #26
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I see, according to wikipedia Xenon was released for the Atari ST first.
Old 25 April 2021, 04:06   #27
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
I was looking at the "Is Amiga original" on HOL and saw a few questionable entries. Eg: Aaargh!, Xenon, Elite 2, F29 Retaliator.

F29 Retaliator is an Amiga original. the Amiga version was released and tested before the ST version.
Old 25 April 2021, 11:18   #28
khph_re

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
Flashback is confusing, it was originally written for the Sega Mega Drive, but released on Amiga first.
So in terms of release, it’s an Amiga Original, but in reality, not.
But what was it written on, and how where the graphics done? I expect an Amiga was used for dev, so i'd say it still counts.
Old 25 April 2021, 12:33   #29
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
F29 Retaliator is an Amiga original. the Amiga version was released and tested before the ST version.
If such information is confirmed then this would count - although I guess some of these might be borderline cases (like, indeed, Flashback). Eg if the development was concurrent on both platforms, and then for some market reasons one was released sooner than the other.

Another example: Beneath A Steel Sky.
Old 25 April 2021, 15:01   #30
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
If such information is confirmed then this would count - although I guess some of these might be borderline cases (like, indeed, Flashback). Eg if the development was concurrent on both platforms, and then for some market reasons one was released sooner than the other.

Another example: Beneath A Steel Sky.
I simply know that F29 was released on Amiga before the ST.

The game has been released late : Tested in JAN 1990, but released in May 1990 for Amiga, and in August 1990 on ST.
Old 03 May 2021, 14:01   #31
Photon

Quote:

Bitmap Bros wrote the same game for both ST and Amiga, and adapted to screenmode and bobs/softsprites near release.

Braben developed for ST, Amiga, and Archimedes, and perhaps he also ported to PC, I don't remember. Most of the game code would have been the same between ST and Amiga.

For flight/space/driving sims in general, Amiga rarely saw any that took full advantage of the hardware, one example is F/A-18 Interceptor, suggesting they too had most of the game code the same for ST and Amiga.

So it's tricky for games that weren't a definitive port by a different coder. When that is the case, you might even know the original coder and nail the original platform, even if release date could be later than the port for any publishing reasons.

So for those games, maybe go by release date because it's all we have (even if it doesn't quite make sense when more than one version is released at virtually the same time). If there's a port by a different coder it will take a while and the port is almost always later than the original game.
Old 03 May 2021, 17:37   #32
Keops/Equinox

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
Populous
Development of Populous started on ST, then moved to Amiga. It was eventually released the same day on ST and Amiga.