English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 20 September 2002, 16:57   #21
KombatSanta
Pipboy approved

Send a message via ICQ to KombatSanta
Quote:
Originally posted by DCLXVI
Anyone lisend to Caesars Palace and one of their older songs, From the Bug House sound exacly like the music form Simon the Sorcerer...
No it doesn't... well maybe a little... the Farfisa organ thing perhaps. But that is not Exactly!
Old 20 September 2002, 18:43   #22
TDK
oldskool amiga musician??

Of course, don't forget Rob Hubbard use of a lot of Larry Fast's music. Master of Magic, Zoids, Delta are the ones I remember atm.
Old 29 March 2003, 04:16   #23
Calen

Jadriel wrote:

Quote:
There was an Ariston commercial (on ... and on ... and on ... and Ariston) that used some music from Robocop on the C64
Yeah i remember this and was suprised they used music from a computer game, they sure did pick a fine tune though.
Old 29 March 2003, 04:28   #24
Calen

Konrad wrote:
Quote:
Hah, I have another one. The title music of Agony

Does someone know DIMMU BORGIR ? It's a (nordish?) black metal band. Anyway, there is a song from them called "Sorgenskammer" and it's almost identical (listen at 2:20min).
Had to hunt this one out as it had me curious, being a fan of the songs in Agony and this main title tune, i must say this is very much Agony title and not a freaky coincidence, your theory on where it came from is better than any suggestion i could put forth, very interesting.
I still much prefer the Amiga version and would love to hear it redone studio or full blown orchestra style by the original Amiga author or anyone else up to the challenge.
Old 10 April 2003, 15:08   #25
Wally

Does anyone know of a fairly recent tune that samples the voice from that c64 classic Impossible Mission, "Another visitor, stay awhile, stay forever". And "destroy him my robots". I'm sure it samples music from another c64 game but can't remember the title.
Old 11 April 2003, 02:51   #26
gary

Quote:
Does anyone know of a fairly recent tune that samples the voice from that c64 classic Impossible Mission, "Another visitor, stay awhile, stay forever". And "destroy him my robots". I'm sure it samples music from another c64 game but can't remember the title.
Knucklebusters. They played it on a national radio station in Australia for awhile. You can download it for free here:
http://superfluid.com.au/audio/knucklebusters.mp3
Old 20 April 2003, 02:27   #27
Titler
Zone Friend

Is it me...

... or does the Sports level music from Lemmings II sound a lot like a Kylie Minogue song? Not being a fan of the short-arsed songstress, I couldn't tell you what the title of said song is though!
Old 20 June 2003, 20:32   #28
FromWithin
Music lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Jadriel
There was an Ariston commercial (on ... and on ... and on ... and Ariston) that used some music from Robocop on the C64 (I think the highscore music). Somebody please God back me up on this, since none of my C64 owning mates believed me at the time

[edit] Scratch that, it's the title music, and they did, and they took it verbatim the cheeky sods
As far as I remember, that music was from the NES version, not the C64.
Old 20 June 2003, 20:36   #29
FromWithin
Music lord

Agony music

The Dimmu Borgir track is a direct rip-off of Tim Wright's agony music.

The Amiga music had mistakes in it because the piano samples were swapped over by the programmer after Tim had written the tune and two samples were set to the wrong octave. These mistakes were copied verbatim. Tim tried to persue, but was advised that it wasn't worth the bother.

Have a look at his website. www.coldstorage.org.uk
Old 20 June 2003, 21:19   #30
Konrad

Exclamation

If there's information on this "Dimmu-Topic" I couldn't find it. Could you please point me there ? Or do you know another source ? Anyway, real nice page, a bit busy/overloaded imo though.
Old 20 June 2003, 21:34   #31
FromWithin
Music lord

He put it in the forum.

http://www.coldstorage.org.uk/forum3/viewtopic.php?t=76

He did talk to some lawyers and stuff, and got in touch with the band's management, but the whole process was so slow and would have ended up costing money for very little gain.
Old 21 June 2003, 01:44   #32
Konrad

Really nice reading, thanks alot. That clear some thing up.
Old 21 June 2003, 14:23   #33
ant512

Here's another one. I'm sure this is a complete coincidence, but try listening to the title music from cheesy 70's American series "Police Woman" back-to-back with the music from "One Man and his Droid" (C64 version).
Old 22 June 2003, 03:29   #34
Mark Wright

Quote:
Originally posted by ant512
Here's another one. I'm sure this is a complete coincidence

LOL!!!! That's MORE than coincidence. Just been on WinMX to find it and I have to say that given Mr Hubbard's penchant for pillaging, it's more than likely he may have been "influenced" by this particular theme.

Bow your pilfering head in shame, Rob

One for the STIL compiler methinks..

[if anyone wants the theme I can zone it if you like]
Old 22 June 2003, 06:56   #35
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Wright
[...]and I have to say that given Mr Hubbard's penchant for pillaging, it's more than likely he may have been "influenced" by this particular theme.[...]
Yes!

Another Hubbard demistificator.

Hubbard IS OVERRATED, fer foks sake . Why people have him in such high praise? His tunes ar eOK, but I heard much, much better in his same time period (Chris Huelsbeck/Jeroen Tel anyone?)
Old 22 June 2003, 20:34   #36
FromWithin
Music lord

I don't think that Rob Hubbard is overrated at all. What did it for me was Flash Gordon. Watch the film and then listen to the game music. He did an amazing job in using very similar themes to the film but creating some really excellent new music. It's very cleverly done. There are some amazingly well put together pieces as well.

I was surprised when I first found out about the Zoids/Master Of Magic = Synergy thing, but then I bought the Synergy album and realised that the Zoids and Master Of Magic tracks are actually much darker and better.

A lot of the musician's back then just took other existing tunes because nobody really cared.

Bit of info for you: I did the music for MegaApocalypse2 (never released), so got to know Simon Nicol quite well. Simon told me that he asked Rob to do a rock track for Crazy Comets, but Rob came back with what is now the Crazy Comets tune and obviously blew Simon away.

And he's a really nice guy. Very dry.
Old 22 June 2003, 23:14   #37
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
ok ok Akira

I`ll give you Cybernoid and Cybernoid 2, that was about all that was good
Old 23 June 2003, 00:22   #38
Mark Wright

Re: ok ok Akira

Quote:
Originally posted by stainy
I`ll give you Cybernoid and Cybernoid 2, that was about all that was good
This could run and run ... if you listen to Lionel Richie's 80s dirge "Running with The Night" there are Cybernoid 2 overtones in there, and since it was released a little time before the Cyb2 music would've been written, it's fair to say it may have proved an inspiration for the Maniacal Mr Tel.

Rob is still God as far as I'm concerned, not least because he inspired a generation of computer musicians and set an elusive precedent, but also because I find his *compositions* far more listenable than any other C64 composer's. Whether they were his compositions or not

It's all very well listening in hindsight, but try to transport yourself back to the first time you sat in front of a C64 and watched Sanxion loading from tape (presuming that would've been in 1986 and not 1995). You'd never heard a C64 make a sound like that before.
Old 23 June 2003, 03:35   #39
Mark Wright

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
(Chris Huelsbeck/Jeroen Tel anyone?)

I know I'm drifting off topic (the point being real songs that borrow from computer music) but Chris Hulsbeck's well-known "Ski Dance" (the Amiga version of which, covered by SLL, comes from the demo featured in my avatar) is actually an old freestyle record from the mid 80s by a band called Panarama......

And SLL covered the Hulsbeck version.

BUT ANYWAY.

Any more secret origins of tracks?

Was Tip & Mantronix's Enigma epic really some old Italian high energy track by an obscure band from 1986?

For example.
Old 08 August 2003, 23:11   #40
khephren

Quote:
Was Tip & Mantronix's Enigma epic really some old Italian high energy track by an obscure band from 1986?
Firefox (oh and TIP) did Musiklinjen (Enigma tune) and from what I gathered it was original since Firefox insisted that he did 99% of the tune.