English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 26 August 2013, 22:21   #1
trydowave

Need help with an A600 hdd and installing wb 3.1

Hi. I need help setting up a hd on my A600 with a workbench 3.1 install. I got it sort of working (which makes me think I have the hdd plugged in the right way at least). But it doesn't seem to want to install anything else. Does it need formatting in a certain way. Will it be easier to prepare it in winaue first?
To be honest I don't know what im doing as I could never afford an Amiga with a hdd back in the day.
Also. The pcmcia card isn't recognised. I imagine it needs a driver.

I have an A600 with a 1mb expansion and this hdd . A Kingspec 44pin ide pata mlc 4gb dom ssd.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2711466537...84.m1439.l2649

Thanks for any advice in advance.
Tony
Old 26 August 2013, 23:58   #2
Nobby_UK

http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/cfd
http://aminet.net/package/util/boot/CardPatch
http://aminet.net/package/util/boot/CardReset
http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/fat95

What version is the ROM of the 600 ?
Old 27 August 2013, 00:15   #3
trydowave

I have 3.1 rom
Old 27 August 2013, 00:22   #4
prowler
Global Moderator

Do you have the full six disk set for Workbench 3.1 installation (Install, Workbench, Extras, Fonts, Storage, Locale)?

If you do have the whole set, use the Install disk in the first instance and choose the Expert Mode (confirm all settings). If you choose te Novice Mode, it will try to install to the floppy drive! (TRUE!)

Using Expert Mode allows you to select the Hard drive as destination device and to prepare it properly before installing.

Once you have a complete installation of Workbench, you can add the PCMCIA CF card drivers.
Old 27 August 2013, 01:01   #5
waltermixxx

I have an Amiga 600 and I just installed 3.1 (all 6 disks...).on it (4gig cf card broken into 4 1gig partitions...) .. (with 3.1 ksrom)...
and I was wondering about this cardpatch and cardreset ...

i will be using my 600 with either a 3com589 or a wireless orinoco gold card...
currently I only have 2 megs of chip ram, ( but planning on getting an 8meg kipper2k board ... )

would I require both the cardpatch and the card reset?
as far as the actual syntax, i read the read.me files for them, but still a bit confused... is it possible to copy and paste your entries here?

cheers and thanks for any help... not meaning to hijack the thread, i feel this is still on topic for a newbie like me, and perhaps him
Old 27 August 2013, 01:09   #6
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermixxx View Post
...not meaning to hijack the thread, i feel this is still on topic for a newbie like me, and perhaps him
No problem! The OP will likely find that information useful too.
Old 27 August 2013, 01:19   #7
Vot

Quote:
I have an Amiga 600 and I just installed 3.1 (all 6 disks...).on it (4gig cf card broken into 4 1gig partitions...) .. (with 3.1 ksrom)...
and I was wondering about this cardpatch and cardreset ...

i will be using my 600 with either a 3com589 or a wireless orinoco gold card...
currently I only have 2 megs of chip ram, ( but planning on getting an 8meg kipper2k board ... )

as far as the actual syntax, i read the read.me files for them, but still a bit confused... is it possible to copy and paste your entries here?

cheers and thanks for any help... not meaning to hijack the thread, i feel this is still on topic for a newbie like me, and perhaps him
Doesn't he only do a 4mb for the a600
Old 27 August 2013, 07:14   #8
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vot View Post
Doesn't he only do a 4mb for the a600
Kipper2k makes 4mb or 8mb now.
Old 27 August 2013, 09:15   #9
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
Kipper2k makes 4mb or 8mb now.
In fact his latest board can be configured to 4mb/5.5mb(PCMCIA Compatible) and 8mb
Old 27 August 2013, 21:04   #10
Nobby_UK

Quote:

mfilos Sez "CardReset is not needed but CardPatch IS!"
Old 08 September 2013, 19:39   #11
trydowave

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Do you have the full six disk set for Workbench 3.1 installation (Install, Workbench, Extras, Fonts, Storage, Locale)?

If you do have the whole set, use the Install disk in the first instance and choose the Expert Mode (confirm all settings). If you choose te Novice Mode, it will try to install to the floppy drive! (TRUE!)

Using Expert Mode allows you to select the Hard drive as destination device and to prepare it properly before installing.

Once you have a complete installation of Workbench, you can add the PCMCIA CF card drivers.
I did all this again and im still getting an icon on my screen saying HD1:???? This drive is new and has no partiions (as far as i know) not sure if it needs formatting? How do i check if the hdd install has been successful and that all memory is being used? I can actually install on it and save things.

Cheers
Tony
Old 09 September 2013, 01:31   #12
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trydowave View Post
I did all this again and im still getting an icon on my screen saying HD1:???? This drive is new and has no partiions (as far as i know) not sure if it needs formatting? How do i check if the hdd install has been successful and that all memory is being used? I can actually install on it and save things.
Do you have only the one hard drive attached to your A600's IDE controller?

If so, have you configured it as the Master device? The primary master Hard drive should be reported as HD0:

Is your machine booted from the floppy drive when you see the HD1: icon on the Workbench? If so, it sounds like the hard drive is indeed unformatted. Check that the hard drive is not configured as the Slave device.

If it's actually booted from the hard drive, then the install was succesful, but there must be another (unformatted) partition on the drive.

Workbench should display the Chip RAM and other memory on the title bar. Another way to check that memory is being used is to enter "Avail" from the Shell or CLI.
Old 09 September 2013, 11:25   #13
trydowave

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Do you have only the one hard drive attached to your A600's IDE controller?

If so, have you configured it as the Master device? The primary master Hard drive should be reported as HD0:

Is your machine booted from the floppy drive when you see the HD1: icon on the Workbench? If so, it sounds like the hard drive is indeed unformatted. Check that the hard drive is not configured as the Slave device.

If it's actually booted from the hard drive, then the install was succesful, but there must be another (unformatted) partition on the drive.

Workbench should display the Chip RAM and other memory on the title bar. Another way to check that memory is being used is to enter "Avail" from the Shell or CLI.
Hi. I do have the hdd connected to the ide controller yes. Its a small black block that plugs directly onto the motherboard. I am 99% sure that its switch was set to master. I will double check though.

It does boot from hdd but i still get hd1. I imagine this is the unformatted partion? How do i go about formatting the whole hdd or even making partions?

I will try Shell when i get back from work.

Thanks
Tony

P.s. What I meant to say is there any way to check how much of the hdd is being used and how much is free, as well as looking at different partitions?

Last edited by trydowave; 09 September 2013 at 16:13.
Old 09 September 2013, 21:23   #14
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
It does boot from hdd but i still get hd1. I imagine this is the unformatted partion? How do i go about formatting the whole hdd or even making partions?
I think you had best start from scratch with a fresh installation.

Quote:
What I meant to say is there any way to check how much of the hdd is being used and how much is free, as well as looking at different partitions?
The hard drive utilities included on the Install disk should show this information.

You really should delete all the partitions and start again.

First, create a small boot partition (HD0:) of, say, 500MB, and a work partition (HD1:), which uses the remainder of the hard drive space. Keeping your boot partition small like that will enable it boot faster than otherwise. You might wish to choose instead to split the remainder of the disk space 50/50 to give you both HD1: and HD2: drives, which will keep all partitions below 2GB.

Then, once the hard drive is prepared and each partition formatted (use Quick Format; it is never necessary to fully format an almost new hard drive), you are ready to install Workbench to HD0:

When you reboot the machine, HD1: (and HD2:) will show properly on the Workbench desktop because they are already formatted.

The available hard drive space will be shown on the title bar of the window which opens when you double-click a hard drive icon.
Old 10 September 2013, 05:42   #15
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
When it says HD1:???? that does indeed mean that WB sees a partition but cannot decode the partition table (unformatted will do that). If you set it up using FFS, you can simply select the drive and choose format in the menus. Remember to tick 'quick' before you press format. If you set it up using some other file system like PFS or SFS, you need to use the dedicated format utility for that file system (PFS uses 'pfsformat' for instance).
Old 10 September 2013, 09:29   #16
trydowave

This is proving more difficult than i thought. I will give this a go when i get back from work.

cheers all
Tony

Last edited by trydowave; 12 September 2013 at 13:53.
Old 12 September 2013, 13:57   #17
trydowave

hi again. finally got the A600s drive installed. I made a 500mb partition for boot, a 500mb partition for apps and the rest of the 4gb space for data.
Its great to finally have Octamed running with incredibly fast access to my entire samples library and Mods (I used to run this all off disk on my A500 and it was a painful experience).

Got a few more questions though. The A600 is standard with a 1mb expansion. Would you recommend any desktop pics or fancy icons or is it best to keep it basic? Will any WHDload stuff work? And... is it possible to install from hdf files?

Cheers
Tony

... now off for the A1200 OS3.9 install