English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 08 January 2021, 05:26   #1
hurtz

WinUAE on a 2020 iPad Pro

Hey all. This is pretty awesome. I got access to a shadow server and was able to install WinUAE and stream it back to my iPad Pro controlled with a Corsair gaming mouse and a PS4 controller. There is no lag. It is a really neat emulation experience! [ Show youtube player ]
Old 08 January 2021, 07:10   #2
cloverskull

What's a "shadow server"?
Old 08 January 2021, 10:00   #3
SSJTrunks69

Shadow server?
Old 08 January 2021, 10:07   #4
Magix
calm down do how.

Send a message via ICQ to Magix
Shadow Server is a fully-featured, cloud-based, high-end computer installed Windows 10 OS. You can use that cloud system just like a local PC and it works with nearly any device that has an internet connection.

You can learn more here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverskull View Post
What's a "shadow server"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJTrunks69 View Post
Shadow server?
Old 08 January 2021, 11:58   #5
mc68060
With MMU and FPU!

LOL I'll never understand why people buy this Apple crap where the computer tells you which programs you are allowed to run and which not. This is a whole new level of DRM. Before starting any program macOS 11 will first check back with Apple's server to see if the program is ok. Of course Apple justifies this with "security" but in the end it's all about total control. The next level will surely be the compiler checking if the source codes you're trying to compile are ok with Apple.... so in a few years you probably won't even be able to compile UAE for macOS yourself any more because Apple doesn't like emulators. Mark my words!
Old 08 January 2021, 14:14   #6
Foebane
Banned

I've never liked Apple, in fact I despise it. Paying through the nose for what is basically IBM PC hardware because of "status" and because it has a mouldy, rotten, half-chewed fruit picture on the back of it? Ironic, really.
Old 08 January 2021, 15:31   #7
hurtz

While I share some of your same thoughts about Apple and proprietary hardware - that wasn't at all my intent here. I just wanted to show off how well shadow works. The client is much like VNC and runs on multiple device types. I've also used this with my Android tablets and Windows PC's.

I was thrilled that now I have a way to remotely access my Amiga emulator and enjoy classic games and Workbench from anywhere in the world, no matter what device or controller I happen to have with me.
Old 08 January 2021, 17:24   #8
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Shadow is quite cool, a colleague of mine has replaced his gaming computer with it. Streaming services in the past would make you pay through the nose because you'd pay for usage but Shadow is just a flat fee which isn't too high either. I must admit that it's been on my mind too, compared to how expensive gaming hardware is normally and especially now it's really cost-effective.

But it does depend on what games you play of course, I'm not too sure how competitive online shooters would fare. "No input lag" has a different meaning when playing an old game or an RPG compared to Fortnite or Call of Duty.
Old 08 January 2021, 17:27   #9
sturme
Zone Friend

I haveto admit it, i really like my shadow.tech subscription. i use it all the time.
Old 08 January 2021, 17:38   #10
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurtz View Post
While I share some of your same thoughts about Apple and proprietary hardware - that wasn't at all my intent here. I just wanted to show off how well shadow works. The client is much like VNC and runs on multiple device types. I've also used this with my Android tablets and Windows PC's.
I'm happy for you that you can get WinUAE to run on your hardware, more power to you. And I shouldn't be so negative towards a large section of the computer user population, they obviously see something in Apple they love, so it's not my place to moan if it serves them well. I just would never choose that brand for my own computing needs, that's all. I wouldn't be able to afford it, and all that (yes, may just be a case of sour grapes, but, well...)

Old 08 January 2021, 18:07   #11
mc68060
With MMU and FPU!

Quartex wouldn't like Apple.
Old 08 January 2021, 18:22   #12
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
You can do this already with a normal PC. I bought a program years ago on my IPAD 3 (Dont ask, moment of stupidity), just for this reason. No sucription, just my PC. I can connect to my PC anywhere in the world and play games from it. Ill have to dig it out, cant remember name at moment.

I also do it with my XBOX. However, its a bit redundant now with the XBOX streaming app.
Old 08 January 2021, 18:32   #13
hurtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
You can do this already with a normal PC.
True, I did previously stream this using realVNC server from a Windows machine in my basement but there are other benefits to a Shadow server including 60FPS at 4K UHD - overkill for emulators but still something fun to play with.

I think next I'm going to install Daphne and see how Dragon's Lair works with it once I can stop playing the Chaos Engine!
Old 09 January 2021, 04:57   #14
zodiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc68060 View Post
LOL I'll never understand why people buy this Apple crap where the computer tells you which programs you are allowed to run and which not. This is a whole new level of DRM. Before starting any program macOS 11 will first check back with Apple's server to see if the program is ok. Of course Apple justifies this with "security" but in the end it's all about total control. The next level will surely be the compiler checking if the source codes you're trying to compile are ok with Apple.... so in a few years you probably won't even be able to compile UAE for macOS yourself any more because Apple doesn't like emulators. Mark my words!
I like open market for hardware like the PC, but in this day and age, a closed software platform is good for me. I didn’t like Apple either so my first smart phone was an android. The OS became so bogged down with malware or whatever else that it would take 5 seconds before the phone would dial. I switched to an IPhone and have had no similar issues since. I prefer the security over an open software platform exploited by scammers.
Old 11 January 2021, 14:46   #15
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurtz View Post
60FPS at 4K UHD

Oh dear, why oh why.

Seriously though. Each to his own. If you want to use a machine you have no control over, thats up to you.