English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 17 August 2012, 18:52   #1
Mr B

Install PFS3 ?

I must be dumb as a brick. But i cant figure out how to install PFS3 on ClassicWB v27.
I guess it's just to easy, and i haven't figured it out. Hints, anyone?
Old 17 August 2012, 19:30   #2
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I recently did a guide in a post: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=831346&postcount=14

in this thread: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=64949, and it hasn't been corrected by Thomas, so it must be perfect

Spanner used my guide without problems, and he liked it.

More Edit: If you find any problem installing PFS3 from the installer (I forgot to say), try the installation as Expert, and select just what you want/need. (original also edited now).

Last edited by Retrofan; 17 August 2012 at 23:49. Reason: Replaced second link.
Old 18 August 2012, 00:12   #3
Mr B

The thing is, there is a drawer with PFS3 in it, but there is no installer. Which makes me believe i'm missing something.

However, i tried following your guide, replacing the PFS3 info with the SFS one, just to get aquainted with the process. And i get a fairly outlandish error message. I'm going to start over, luckily i've not exactly done a whole lot to this setup since the last backup, lets just hope that one is still good...

Oh, the error message:
Save failed, not enough space for the configuration data

When i try to "Save Changes to Drive"

Cheers.
Old 18 August 2012, 00:19   #4
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
The thing is, there is a drawer with PFS3 in it, but there is no installer. Which makes me believe i'm missing something.

However, i tried following your guide, replacing the PFS3 info with the SFS one,
Sorry, but... Nononono. Download it again, if it's necessary, unpack it in the miggy. There's a huge installer icon, your download wasn't right.

Last edited by Retrofan; 18 August 2012 at 00:28.
Old 18 August 2012, 02:36   #5
Mr B

I think you misunderstood something. I've got a ClassicWB advsp install here, and it includes a lot of things, amongst these are a PFS3 folder, but nowhere is there a installer. I suspect this is as so many other things inn ClassicWB, at least partly prepared, and ready for use. The question is, how would one use it.

If all else fails, i will download the complete package, and see if it works out better, but at this point i'm sort of afraid to mess to much with it until i know how it's supposed to be used like. At least it seams i managed to restore my install from the backup, and got rid of the nasty "not enough space" thingy, so i can start fiddling with the partitions & filesystems again. Learning by trial and error is a bit faster when it's through WinUAE, and on a CF, then it would have been from floppies, and on the real Amiga. Or it might be slower, since you don't suffer as much when it goes wrong.
Old 18 August 2012, 02:55   #6
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
I think you misunderstood something. I've got a ClassicWB advsp install here, and it includes a lot of things, amongst these are a PFS3 folder, but nowhere is there a installer. I suspect this is as so many other things inn ClassicWB, at least partly prepared, and ready for use. The question is, how would one use it...
No worries. Sorry, but I don't have an idea of how to install it with the CWBAdvSp PFS folder (Edit: But if as you say it doesn't have an install icon...). And also I don't know if there is a guide to install it from there. In your place (and I've got running a CF with it, as it's one of the best CWB's), I would forget about it and would use just my guide, downloading it from Aminet. Anyway, as you'll see, you will have to copy it all again to your original partition using a backup of it to have it like it was, so you don't need to make it from "inside".

Last edited by Retrofan; 18 August 2012 at 03:08.
Old 18 August 2012, 03:27   #7
Mr B

I sort of figured it out, Not to the extent that i got it working, but it IS installed, the file system lives in L, where it should be. I need to figure out how to call it in the toolbox, and i got to figure out a way to start the gadget, so the PFS3 tools-kit works, if i ever need it. Over all, it might be easier to grab the installer, and see what it does to my config. I'm going to keep poking at this, someday i might learn how to do it. And i got very little thats more important to do, and lots of spare time.
Old 18 August 2012, 07:57   #8
thomas

If it is already installed, documentation should be in sys:tools/pfs3/doc. Read pfs3.guide, it tells you everything about how to use it and what to take care of.

Note that the process to convert a partiton to PFS3 is backup / change properties / format / restore. This means you should have used PFS3 to format your boot partition *before* you installed ClassicWB. Now you need another boot partition or floppy disk with PFS3 and HDToolbox on it. And enough space to backup your ClassicWB partition.
Old 18 August 2012, 23:17   #9
Mr B

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Note that the process to convert a partiton to PFS3 is backup / change properties / format / restore. This means you should have used PFS3 to format your boot partition *before* you installed ClassicWB. Now you need another boot partition or floppy disk with PFS3 and HDToolbox on it. And enough space to backup your ClassicWB partition.
Once i get it figured out (if at all) that wont be a problem. I created 2 equal partitions in the first gB of the CF, and will be sticking the rest of the space in a larger storage partition once everything is ready. The 2 first partitions are both bootable, which should make for both backup, and help with this sort of trickery.

Now i only need to figure out how to "permanently" disable the second partition for normal use so nobody accidentally messes with it, and i only get one set of the ClassicWB icons... But i think that is altogether a different thread.
Old 19 August 2012, 00:04   #10
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

The thread is done: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=64856&

I prefer to use dismount, it's perfect.
Old 19 August 2012, 01:15   #11
Mr B

So "C:dismount DH0_BK:" in the startup-sequence, and the partition, and the icons go away, and when i want to update it, just comment it out ( ; infront should work, yes?) and it's there, and if the system partition fails (DH0) i just use the early boot menu, select DH0_BK for boot, and hey, we are back. I think thats how it's supposed to work. Great. Thanks. Still haven't gotten around to fiddling with the filesystem on my restored partitions, i've been out cruising with a Galaxy-68 all day. The day started out nice and cloudy, low 20c, and quite comfy. As the day went, we got a very light drizzle of water, and after that, much dreaded sunshine. For hours it was an easy 25c, constant, no hiding sunshine, and the others in the car were drinking beer to avoid going nuts in the sunshine... I was driving, so no beer for me. Now i sit here, glowing pink in the dark, and don't really want to go to bed, coz everything that touch my back feels like sand paper...

Oh, and people drinking beer to avoid going nuts from the sun is apparently a bad idea. Early evening they started stripping down, claiming to have "spilled" and needing to get out of the wet clothes. Shortly after there was mooning, and helicopters everywhere, and i'm not talking about the satellite, nor the aircraft. Only positive thing, the cops was nowhere to be seen, so atleast i got to floor it, make some smoke, and loud noises every now and then. All in all, my day sucked, badly. Hope yours was better. I'm heading of for a cold shower again, and then i'll try to get some sleep, sitting, facing the wrong way on a kitchen chair.

Cheers.
Old 07 May 2021, 17:58   #12
BanisterDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
If it is already installed, documentation should be in sys:tools/pfs3/doc. Read pfs3.guide, it tells you everything about how to use it and what to take care of.

I know this is an old post but if I have to start from scratch with a diskparted hdd and need to boot from a floppydisk (adf as I use WinUAE to set it up) what files do I need to have on the floppydisk (all filenames with dirs) so I can make my PFS3 partitions ?
Old 07 May 2021, 18:34   #13
thomas

Assuming that you have everything you need to boot your Amiga and prep a HDD, then the only additional file you need is pfs3aio from this archive: http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/pfs3aio
Old 07 May 2021, 19:01   #14
BanisterDK

So just use a WB3.1 (or in my case WB 3.1.4) and copy over pfs3 handler and what about scsi.device ? is that needed and where to find the right version ?
Old 07 May 2021, 19:22   #15
thomas

3.1.4 has all you need.

If you have a 3.1.4 ROM you don't need to care.

If you have a 3.1 ROM the boot partition must be inside the first 4GB of the harddrive and you should create other partitions only after you installed and booted the new OS.