English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 15 May 2016, 20:07   #1
Doc99

Floppy disk Process for writing original game disk image to disk

Hi Guys,

So I just got an Amiga 1200 and I was wondering if anyone could help me with a process for
  • Backing up my original games to hard disk or...
  • Downloading the original, from some site, with the copy right protection intact
  • Burning the image back to disk when one of the disks fails

Basically I want to be able to play games on the real hardware by inserting the floppy into the drive just like I did back in good old 1990.

Thanks,

Paul

Old 15 May 2016, 21:50   #2
desiv

http://www.kryoflux.com/

:-) (Seriously, it's what I use for that..)
There are other options, but for complete with most/all protection schemes, you'll want external hardware..

Quote:
Burning the image back to disk when one of the disks fails
One note about this option tho, it depends on how the disk fails.
I have saved my Super Hang On doing this, but...
I have an original Tetris disk with an error, but the error is that the disk is bad.
I can't burn back to that disk..
I can burn back to another disk, so I suppose I'm looking at somehow removing the label, and moving it to a good disk..
(With a 5 1/4", it wouldn't be that hard to replace just the media, but not sure I can do that with a 3.5" disk)

desiv
Old 16 May 2016, 14:20   #3
Anubis
Retro Gamer

If you set your amiga with ClassicWB you can burn ADFs with software already installed there.
Old 18 May 2016, 04:39   #4
B14ck W01f
m68k all the way

I use CrossDOS to burn the adf onto a 2DD floppy disk and compress it Lha or dms format
Uncompress the archive into RAM: on the Amiga, then use adf2disk to convert the ADF onto disk.
Old 18 May 2016, 11:46   #5
AMIGASYSTEM

If you have A1200, in addition to a "CrossDOS" you could use a second player Floppy, a CDRom IDE (internally connected), or a CD CD-Rom PMCIA or a HD-IDE, and then write the ADF on Floppy as shown in this my [ Show youtube player ]. For backup you create a ISO of your files on the Amiga con MasterISO as shown in this another of my [ Show youtube player ]; Regarding the ISO you may also create it on WinUAE
Old 18 May 2016, 12:11   #6
AMIGASYSTEM

If you can serve even attach my two videos showing how to create ISO with the data folders, write ADF with ADFBlitzer and Format-Initialize quickly Floppy with MFormat.

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 19 May 2016, 12:20   #7
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
http://www.kryoflux.com/

:-) (Seriously, it's what I use for that..)
There are other options, but for complete with most/all protection schemes, you'll want external hardware..

One note about this option tho, it depends on how the disk fails.
I have saved my Super Hang On doing this, but...
I have an original Tetris disk with an error, but the error is that the disk is bad.
I can't burn back to that disk..
I can burn back to another disk, so I suppose I'm looking at somehow removing the label, and moving it to a good disk..
(With a 5 1/4", it wouldn't be that hard to replace just the media, but not sure I can do that with a 3.5" disk)

desiv
Crack open the original disk, remove the original floppy (platter?) and insert a good working (platter).

If you remove the metal slider and crack open the bottom of the floppy case, then the (platter) can be removed easily without damaging the floppy case.