English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 05 December 2021, 14:28   #1
Tuckernem

Amiga is 3.2 , a1200, whload

Hi I'm a complete novice to the Amiga scene, ive only ever used it to play games.

Is it possible to have a cf card, running Amiga OS 3.2, on a a1200 and have all the games too for the whload?

Will it all work smoothly or do you need one of them accelerator cards?

I know id probably have to upgrade the ROM chips to 3.2

Cheers
Old 05 December 2021, 14:58   #2
jotd
This cat is no more

you really need to throw in extra mem.

I have a desktop A1200 kick 3.1 vwith 060 card and CF card with 4Gb of games started through AGS2 menu selector.

The 060 is not needed, but you really need the extra RAM (4 or 8Gb) so you can play the AGA games, and ECS games can benefit from PRELOAD option

A RAM board would be the cheapest option to gain access to most games (forget about TFX). No need for 3.2 ROM. 3.1 is perfect for whdload.

quick google search: https://www.amedia-computer.com/en/a...miga-1200.html less than 100 euro. Didn't check if SIMMs were provided or if they sell some compatible ones.
Old 05 December 2021, 19:21   #3
Jpor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckernem View Post
Hi I'm a complete novice to the Amiga scene, ive only ever used it to play games.

Is it possible to have a cf card, running Amiga OS 3.2, on a a1200 and have all the games too for the whload?

Will it all work smoothly or do you need one of them accelerator cards?

I know id probably have to upgrade the ROM chips to 3.2

Cheers
Take a step back.

Is the A1200 just standard? I.e you can only load things via the floppy drive?

What ROMs are your A1200 running at the moment? If 3.0 then that should be fine. 3.1 or above can be better.

If you aren’t running a IDE hard drive or cf card via CFtoIDe adapter or SD card with SD to IDE adapter then you have a choice on Hard Drive solution. Personally I’d go for the SD card option.

What are your plans for the A1200? Just gaming and watching Demos? Or are You looking to plan to go further with the system?
Why I’m asking this depends on what you wish to invest in. For example just gaming and Demos then a FastRAM card upgrade is good enough. Note that FastRAM can effect the PCMCIA port. A lot of the cheaper FastRAM cards will impede on PCMCIA operation if greater than 4MB. A lot of cards will have 8MB with a jumper to downgrade to 4MB.

If you are planning to do more with the A1200 such as using in the internet or playing around with graphical applications. Then you are best investing in an Accelerator card such as a 1230 68030 or above with 32-bit FastRAM.
Old 05 December 2021, 19:38   #4
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

A simple FAST RAM expansion card would do wonders for that machine. Make everything smooth and comfortable. And give the owner plenty of time to decide if he wants to go down the MOAR POWAH route later