English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 16 July 2024, 23:14   #1
ZEUSDAZ

Future Space, a poor man's Gods?!

Well I've never seen this game before that is until now as It's been paid requested to go into the vault of shitness in the Shit Game Time series, anyone played this before?, It really gives me vibes of the Bitmap Brothers classic Gods but on a way lesser level, your thought on it?!

Future Space SGT Review: [ Show youtube player ]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Future_Space_-(1).jpg
Views:	54
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	82723  
Old 16 July 2024, 23:22   #2
jotd
This cat is no more

They did a nice parallax job. But the colors are awful.

IMHO the poor man's Gods is "Deep Space", not "Future Space".
Old Yesterday, 00:12   #3
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

That's clearly a game built through checkbox-driven development. "Screen scrolls when you are at X pixels from the edge... Check!"

The value of X making sense clearly was never considered before releasing it. It technically worked.
Old Yesterday, 00:16   #4
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
They did a nice parallax job. But the colors are awful.

IMHO the poor man's Gods is "Deep Space", not "Future Space".
Surely some mistake, Deep Core?
Old Yesterday, 11:09   #5
Megalomaniac

I'm not making the effort of downloading six disks just to play it, but that push-scrolling and small window make it look like a 1988 ST port, and the backdrop is uninspired (and seemingly unchanged throughout the game). No reason jumps out as to why it would be average, let alone good. It's probably not a great sign that, despite being an action game not requiring heavy translation, it was never released in the UK (though there are exceptions such as Jimmy's Fantastic Journey and Mega-Typhoon, from after the Amiga was really commercially vibrant in the UK).

I'm not seeing similarity to Gods though, helmeted hero aside. No switches or puzzles that I can see, this looks like much more of a pure platform game. I wonder if people like to overestimate the Bitmaps' influence - people called Deliverance a Gods rip-off when the original 8-bit versions were released before Gods (the backdrop added to level 1 of 16-bit Deliverance looks similar, but beyond that they're quite different). Deep Core is quite Godseque but does have some ideas of its own too.
Old Yesterday, 11:47   #6
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

Looks to me like it plays more like a poor Jim Power. That push scrolling is a killer.