English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 17 July 2008, 14:48   #1
betc

Finally beat speedball 2

found winuae on an old drive the other day so i cranked it up on the 40" LCD, figured the filter screen size thing and loaded speedball 2 to see if could finally beat it. i did, and here is how i did it

i cheated the money
bumped my team up to full
loaded save game into a hex editor and maxed stats to 255
plugged in the usb game controller
maxed out the screen size
slowed the game to 50%... so sad..

and managed to beat them 1 out of 2 in the grand final (cup)... damn hard game. so really i am still crap and cant beat the, even after that whole growing up thing...

at least i finally completed marble madness
and im still no better at nebulus.
always loved wings
and who could forget Geoff crammond F1 grand prix... especially since dad made a steering wheel and brake/acc set out of wood!
monkey island and the impossibly hard lechucks revenge
lotus esprit turbo
elite, too much time lost there

good times, far too many good times

Old 17 July 2008, 14:55   #2
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
welcome aboard dude there's plenty of mischief to keep up to around here (stealing zetro's lines )
Old 17 July 2008, 15:04   #3
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
even after that whole growing up thing...
Actually, the older you get the more crap you get The only game I managed to finish at an older age without cheating was Dungeon Master.

Welcome to the board! Beware of retards, fops, ducks, Dutch people, people stealing your lines and a combination of two or more of the above!
Old 17 July 2008, 18:35   #4
Shoonay
Global Caturator

... and cat lovers, you forgot about cat lovers gimby!

Hya betc!
Old 18 July 2008, 02:20   #5
KTC
Registered WHDLoad User

Speedball 2 is not THAT hard.
The other day my buddy and I completed all the game modes.
Succeeded first time on each of them and we are not cheating.
Just make sure you pick up lots of cash when playing and focus on beefing up the forward, middle and defense groups in that order.
The lamp loops on the sides are also very important.

Come on, you can do it without cheating!
Old 18 July 2008, 03:52   #6
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Personally, I've never found Speedball 2 to be particularly difficult. I can't remember the last time I lost even a single match, and have never lost a 2 player game. Usually I turn it off before finishing as it takes quite a while to win the league.

All you need to do is get the double multiplier, hit the stars as often as you can, upgrade one player such as the centre forward who can smash through the opposition, and keep upgrading players when you can.
Old 18 July 2008, 11:35   #7
chiark
Needs a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Welcome to the board! Beware of ... Dutch people,
Also watch out for people who are intolerant of other people's cultures

(Thank you, Nigel Powers )
Old 18 July 2008, 20:42   #8
Titler
Zone Friend

Easiest way to win, apart from the Ultra-Forward purchase as mentioned, is to forget about grabbing the ball on the first try... wait until the opponent starts to leap up to catch it himself, and then smack into him whilst he can't defend himself.
With practice, you should be able to run the ball through the multiplier, which he'll usually dutifully wait for the ball to leave, smack the opponent as he leaps to catch it on the other side, run it back through the multiplier, smack him again, then when he's either injured or down for a little while, run up and hit the stars, then back down to the multiplier until he IS injured and you get the points for injuring him...

You can also slowly whittle down the enemies forward by nailing him with a delayed tackle at the ball launch too... just don't try and go toe to toe with the better teams all across the field later on, as they'll spank you.
Old 24 July 2008, 18:04   #9
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper View Post
Personally, I've never found Speedball 2 to be particularly difficult. I can't remember the last time I lost even a single match, and have never lost a 2 player game. Usually I turn it off before finishing as it takes quite a while to win the league.

All you need to do is get the double multiplier, hit the stars as often as you can, upgrade one player such as the centre forward who can smash through the opposition, and keep upgrading players when you can.
Later league games are only hard in this game. It took me a lot of practice and time to be able to win all games. (but it is possible to do it without cheating )
Old 24 July 2008, 19:47   #10
Marlon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Actually, the older you get the more crap you get
Hmmm...not sure I agree with that. I'm better at games now than I've ever been. My dad's 63 and can still kick arse at FPS.

Reflexes are like muscles; exercise 'em regularly and all is good. Use it or LOSE it, Man.
Old 25 July 2008, 07:20   #11
Monsterland

Last time I booted up my amiga I completed to full league games, first try I became second and second try I won it...and I'm not really a very skilled gamer generally speaking, it was ages ago I gave it a shot. Especially against the stronger teams it is important you use the multiplier and the scoring targets on the wall while making your way forwards
Old 25 July 2008, 07:29   #12
EmuChicken

You've not "beat" the game if you've cheated... bleh!

... I finished the league mode... maybe 2 times now, 1 on the Amiga 1 on the megadrive :-)
Old 08 April 2010, 21:03   #13
Falcon Flight
evicted psycho

i've been playing this game again. completed it a long time ago.

here are my league scores for this evening:

agaist Raw Messiahs, in League mode, I won 280-0
against Revolver, in League, I won 364-0

it seems i can still play it. :-)
can anyone recall their highest score? i think i had a score of 400 in the old days.
Old 09 April 2010, 10:53   #14
Melonfish
I killed Jools on purpose

I can't believe people are talking about completing this game? seriously, i was under the impression it just escelated difficulty until you broke down into tears and chewed through your Zipstick...
there can't actually be an end to this game! it cannot be!
Old 09 April 2010, 11:49   #15
daxb

Get a lot of score is not really hard. With multiplier and only hit the stars it`s easy. or just stay in front of the bouncing thing (one of the two in playfield) and hit outofire. The most opponent goalies are not able to catch the ball if you throw a long spin from somewhere at middle playfield (direct after begining catch the ball). So you can goal in less then five seconds. Or just be brutal deluxe and smash every opponent to get score.
Old 09 April 2010, 12:34   #16
Falcon Flight
evicted psycho

i never had an autofire joystick but was under the impression that throwing and catching speed was capped - at least, no matter how fast i hit fire, ball dude would only throw and catch at a set speed.

you're right getting a high score isnt hard - maybe getting the highest score on EAB is, though. i'm sure someone's pwnd my pathetic scores.

anyway back to it
Old 09 April 2010, 12:37   #17
Thorham
Computer Nerd

I completed the game back in the day in Cup, League and Knockout multiple times, without cheating, using an Arcade stick. After playing that long my hand always hurt for some reason Anyway, being able to complete this game just means you play a lot (although Cup and League can be hard)
Old 09 April 2010, 15:57   #18
Korodny
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by betc View Post
and here is how i did it
Pussy
Old 17 April 2010, 00:07   #19
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
...or just stay in front of the bouncing thing (one of the two in playfield) and hit outofire.
Yeah this is what I used to do. Grab both the bonus multiplyers early on, wait until you spot one of those stop icons (freezes the other team to the spot), then leg it to the bounce dome and just rack up stupid amounts of points. There was a perfect distance to place your man from the bounce dome as well.

Even better fun to do in 2 player hearing your mate moaning because all he could do is watch
Old 20 April 2010, 11:17   #20
Nostalgeek
OT Whore

In addition to what's been said before (importance of bonus loops on sides and the crucial need of money, particularly on Cup mode):

1) Do not waste money on upgrading the standard players, or buying "average" new players. There are star players for each spot, and you want to make sure to have the money to buy them when you got the chance as they're only available to buy for a few rounds before disappearing for the whole game!

The only players you want to buy are ((c) means you want them as center):

- Defenders: Jenson(c), Garrik, Cooper
- Midfielders: Seline(c), Quaid, Stavia
- Forwards: Jams(c), Montez, Norman

If you manage to get that, congratz, you have the best team in the game with (when fully upgraded) similar stats to the almighty Super Nashwan and Fatal Justice!

2) If you know how to play the game, you shouldn't have too much troubles winning games with the default team. It will be hard sometimes, but can be done. Your main concern is getting enough margin in point so you can bear having one or two players injured, as it will probably happen depending on against who you play.

The "standard" game for me would be: get the ball, rush on the left side to get to the bonus loop, use it twice, rush to the goal, spam a few bumpers for easy point if possible, go and score a goal. Then, focus on money! Give your fastest guy the ball and make him run around the field to get all money on the floor.

3) "Easy" goals: use the aftertouch. If you throw the ball straight in front of you, and quickly after press left or right, the ball will change direction in diagonal. Now, with a little practice, you will find the right spots and right timing to use that and throw the ball diagonally out of reach of the goalkeeper. You can own any GK with that trick, even against Super Nashwan.

4) "Lame" cup win: start a cup, see if you're playing against Revolver. If you're not, exit and restart until you start against them.

Start of game, rush the money directly without scoring. The goal is to keep a draw score but getting all the money. End of game is a draw so it will have to be played again but you get to buy new players and use your cash before playing again! Keep on drawing against Revolver until you get the All-Star Team and upgrades everybody to the max. When you're done - own your way up to the Finals and win it

It gets funny against Revolver after a while, because when you buy Star Players, they will start to injure the Revolver players pretty quickly, giving you points. So the challenge to keep a draw starts to be difficult and requires scoring own goals to compensante injuries

I LOVE this game so much! I can't recall the last time I lost a match, I think I'm pretty good at it, but would love to be able to compete against other humans to see if I'm really that good