English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.aGTW

Old 23 May 2011, 20:22   #81
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
The 3rd part is VERY interesting !!! It show a level made from Strider Hiryu from capcom but CPS release alike !!!! look at 7:51 !!
Old 24 May 2011, 00:17   #82
ComputingData

The graphics and map was from Tiertex's Strider conversion, it was a test for my scroll routine at took a very small amount of lines to display (we used to time routines in how many raster lines they took! You change the background colour between lines). Superimposed on top is a panel made up of hardware sprites. Strider could have been a really good conversion if they had done it properly.

I did a Mario style demo of the scroll too, to test out the scroll and some disk loading routines! The A500 died before I could video it. It has a motherboard full of 'green rust'!!! Luckily it lasted for the other demos. If I can get it to work again I'll video the Mario demo and maybe upload the disk image - if you all promise not to laugh. It was done in the days before things like A1200, so it may not work on the newer chipset Amigas - but does work on ECS (I think!).

Back to the video, I think that last you see an Amiga displaying UNSquadron graphics in the background (16 colours) and Strider on top (15 colours + transparent).
Old 24 May 2011, 01:34   #83
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Why strider has been such a crap, when it could have been so good ? The map you show in the video is clearly ABOVE the bollocks they called Strider on amiga XD !!!

the turbo map amiga tool is really a great tool, if you plan to release it, i'd be very interested by that one !!!
Old 25 May 2011, 20:45   #84
s2325
Zone Friend

SuperHero for Windows: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 25 May 2011, 21:43   #85
ComputingData

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Why strider has been such a crap, when it could have been so good ? The map you show in the video is clearly ABOVE the bollocks they called Strider on amiga XD !!!
Thanks. I don't know why it was so bad. The graphics themselves (as images) were really good - it just needed tweak to the Palette to bring up the colours and a nice fast scroll 8 way that fills the screen. They could have easily done it and just done a lame ST quick version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
the turbo map amiga tool is really a great tool, if you plan to release it, i'd be very interested by that one !!!
It was released. It was on cover disk - Amiga format I think. I did put some protection in it, but you should be able to nop it out. I don't remember if the one on my Amiga was unprotected or not. lol... I'll have to try copy it off the Amiga to the PC and zip it up for everyone if it isn't. It was really good for conversions as you could digitize directly into it from the rgb wires on an arcade machine. It would then try to do a map from what it grabbed.
Old 25 May 2011, 21:49   #86
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

just one question, how by wiring the RGB wires it could get the right colors ?

Can you detail a bit this thing ?
Old 25 May 2011, 22:06   #87
ComputingData

It 'knew' about a couple of different RGB digitizers that were available for the Amiga at the time. You could directly hook up to the rgb out on the Jamma board directly into the digitizer in order to grab what was currently on screen.

Tiertex used to do it on their ST map editor. When I was there I decided to write a new editor to replace the ST one for the Artists locked in the attic! lol. (they really all were in the Attic of the building!) That editor was called AME - Amiga Map Editor (original ehh?). It didn't use intuition though, but was pretty good to edit with - it too could digitize direct into maps. It was used to do the maps for Mercs.

Whilst there I also wrote a printer driver for the ST that if an Artist did a print screen, it actually made a Spectrum bitmap and attribute colour map. They loved it because they could use any program they wanted (on the ST) in order to create Spectrum screens.
Old 26 May 2011, 18:43   #88
Don_Adan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputingData View Post
It 'knew' about a couple of different RGB digitizers that were available for the Amiga at the time. You could directly hook up to the rgb out on the Jamma board directly into the digitizer in order to grab what was currently on screen.

Tiertex used to do it on their ST map editor. When I was there I decided to write a new editor to replace the ST one for the Artists locked in the attic! lol. (they really all were in the Attic of the building!) That editor was called AME - Amiga Map Editor (original ehh?). It didn't use intuition though, but was pretty good to edit with - it too could digitize direct into maps. It was used to do the maps for Mercs.

Whilst there I also wrote a printer driver for the ST that if an Artist did a print screen, it actually made a Spectrum bitmap and attribute colour map. They loved it because they could use any program they wanted (on the ST) in order to create Spectrum screens.

Do you know/remember who made music for Tiertex Amiga games?
Some years ago I made player for this format as "Mike Davies" player (available on the Wanted Team page).
Maybe you know/remember full list of Amiga games, which used this soundformat?
Old 27 May 2011, 01:18   #89
ComputingData

I remember 'Mad' Mike Davies! He was a nut case...

I think he left when we moved buildings (I don't think they told him where the new building was) and I seem to remember someone else did the final version of the music - could be wrong though, Mike did at least 90% of it. I think the 2nd person was a friend of Mick West, but again I could be wrong (he was in the attic with the artists).

About 1 month before I left a professional musician (not a games music maker) joined and he sat downstairs (near the kitchen).

There is a group on Facebook I belong to that will know the list of musicians, but I don't want to be the one to start another session everyone slagging off Tiertex!

If anyone knows what ever happened to Mad Mike, please let me know.

UPDATE:

I asked on the Facebook group. Codertapper now has access to that info, so I think he will be able to give you an update?

Last edited by ComputingData; 28 May 2011 at 00:05. Reason: updated.
Old 30 May 2011, 12:53   #90
Don_Adan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputingData View Post
I remember 'Mad' Mike Davies! He was a nut case...

I think he left when we moved buildings (I don't think they told him where the new building was) and I seem to remember someone else did the final version of the music - could be wrong though, Mike did at least 90% of it. I think the 2nd person was a friend of Mick West, but again I could be wrong (he was in the attic with the artists).

About 1 month before I left a professional musician (not a games music maker) joined and he sat downstairs (near the kitchen).

There is a group on Facebook I belong to that will know the list of musicians, but I don't want to be the one to start another session everyone slagging off Tiertex!

If anyone knows what ever happened to Mad Mike, please let me know.

UPDATE:

I asked on the Facebook group. Codertapper now has access to that info, so I think he will be able to give you an update?
Perhaps second Tiertex musician was John Hancock or maybe Mark Tait?

Here is old Codetapper's info about Alien Storm:

> If you start the game properly then type WHOWROTETHIS (type it slowly) now
> die. Don't continue and it goes back to the title sequence before the ALIEN
> STORM logo you get 3 lines of credits info...

> They say:

> Software Engineering by DAVE FB STEAD
> Grafix convered by WAYNE B.STE 1.STE 2
> Sound FX and Music by JOHN HANCOCK

BTW. Do you have access to missing/unused samples from the last Tiertex Amiga game called "World Cup USA 94"? I want to restore/rebuild two songs from this game (only original samples are missing, perhaps no space on disks).
Old 30 May 2011, 13:08   #91
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

I've filled in the full Alien Storm credits from the coder Dave Stead, artist Wayne Billingham and another artist David Bland.
Old 30 May 2011, 13:11   #92
ComputingData

I've found out who the other musician was: Iain McLeod See: http://www.spheresofchaos.com/

I've spoken to him and neither of us remember for certain if he did some of the music - but I seem to remember he did as I'm sure Mad Mike had left by then.

Re: World Cup USA '94... No, I had left Tiertex long before then.

SuperHero for Windows update: Executable of very early test version now available at http://SinisterSoft.com

Last edited by ComputingData; 30 May 2011 at 14:16.
Old 30 July 2011, 12:35   #93
Vollldo

Just saw the 3 parts video, it is really impressive !! One day maybe...

Old 12 April 2012, 11:02   #94
s2325
Zone Friend

some objects:

Old 13 April 2012, 08:14   #95
demoniac

Exciting!
Old 24 April 2012, 07:34   #96
Whitesnake
Martin Shaw

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 24 April 2012, 07:54   #97
s2325
Zone Friend

Yes, my screenshots were from that video.
Old 22 September 2012, 04:43   #98
Vollldo

Uuuh... On Youtube there is a comment of Anthony saying that the dev machines were destroyed in a house fire... So is it really dead for this one ?

Old 22 September 2012, 11:26   #99
ComputingData

The house fire actually didn't destroy the computer, but the firemen hosed it down (!!!), it has smoke damage, plus we were away on holiday during the time of the fire and it was left outside in the open (in October - not ideal UK weather) to start rusting.

I've kept the machine, but it looks dead - I've not turned it on. I opened it and the drives looked ok - but using an USB IDE system plugged into a PC one of the drives doesn't turn on (80GB) and the other (300GB I think) turns on but doesn't get added as a drive (I mean in the admin drive management, not as a drive letter). I'm hoping this is down to the USB IDE system and that the drives are not dead. One idea that I've had is to check ebay or scout some computer fairs looking for old second hand drives that fit the bill for their controller boards.

I had some other code on there for a proto game (I wrote a Mario clone that I used to prototype ideas - like new scroll techniques, colour tricks, etc) that isn't anywhere but on the drives.
Old 22 September 2012, 19:41   #100
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

If the drives are dead, i guess that the whole code+game+gfx and the rest are definitely lost ?