English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 10 November 2022, 17:41   #81
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

A hard game to play on the mini with the controller though, you do need that frame perfect timing to connect your attacks. At least in the first game. The collision detection is a real pain in the butt.
Old 10 November 2022, 17:51   #82
Zak
Zap´em

Weasel Fierce you should inform the Guiness World Record notaries or solicitors, maybe you get an entry in the book?
Old 11 November 2022, 18:19   #83
Weasel Fierce

Unfortunately, I didn't have any time last night so going to tick off a few games I have played in the past several months.

Flashback
Pretty famous and has been widely ported nowadays. The original still holds up very well and while the combat is a bit weak, it is very satisfying to progress through the game. The level variety is also a big plus. Probably my favorite of the "prince of persia" style games. 4/5.

Civilization
What can you even say? One of the most influential games of all time and still one of my favorites in the franchise. I replay Civ 1 from start to finish once a year. 5/5.

Dune
A very compelling strategy/adventure game hybrid with enchanting music and a real atmospheric vibe. 4/5.
I did complete this one back in the day and I am currently replaying it to beat it again.

Skipped:
Civilization AGA (this is actually the version I usually play but the two are basically interchangeable).

Flashback Updated (which seems to be a fan CD32 hack?)
Old 11 November 2022, 22:28   #84
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel Fierce View Post
Dune
A very compelling strategy/adventure game hybrid with enchanting music and a real atmospheric vibe. 4/5.
Try the soundtrack. It's legendary.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 11 November 2022, 22:46   #85
jotd
This cat is no more

Take my cat's advice. Always nap close to a Gods game (no this isn't the same cat as the late one on the left, it's the 2022 reboot, uncanny right?)

Click image for larger version

Name:	cat_god_1.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	873.0 KB
ID:	77047
Old 12 November 2022, 03:34   #86
Weasel Fierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Try the soundtrack. It's legendary.

[ Show youtube player ]
Absolutely, thanks for sharing! The soundtrack to KGB always reminded me a lot of it.
Old 12 November 2022, 15:40   #87
Weasel Fierce

Another busy work day so was wiped last night. Filling in a few more recently played games and knocking off a couple I won't be able to play.

FA18 Interceptor
This one is hard to judge because while I try to ignore historical context Interceptor was a definite milestone in the early Amiga library. Played today though, while it still has some fun in just flying around there's just not that much here to actually DO compared to a lot of other flight sims and the missions are not that interesting. 3/5.

Space crusade
Board game conversion and a great game to boot. Killer music (remember to hit F10 in-game) and the gameplay is fairly faithful to the board game. It is very random so not that serious of a tactical game but progressing your space marine squad is very satisfying. 4/5.

The game has an expansion disk which allows you to continue progressing, updates a few weapons and adds a bunch of new ultra-hard missions.

Skipped games:
7 DNÍ A 7 NOCÍ (Czech only)
Agent Czesio (Polish only)
Old 13 November 2022, 18:54   #88
Weasel Fierce

Took a break this weekend but wanted to whittle down the Lemon Amiga list a bit further.

Alien Breed 92 / Special Edition
Basically the first game but rebalanced to be slightly less unfair. Also you get 12 brand new levels, so its technically a new game. I like some of the original levels better but if you were picking one, play the SE. 4/5

Games skipped:
Labyrinthe de la reine des ombres (French only)
Les Aventures de moktar (French only)
Black Sect (French only)

Anyone know if either of those had english versions ?

Last edited by Weasel Fierce; 13 November 2022 at 19:04.
Old 13 November 2022, 19:20   #89
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Games skipped:
Les Aventures de moktar (French only)

Anyone know if either of those had english versions ?
That one is called Titus the Fox: To Marrakech And Back in English.
Old 13 November 2022, 19:29   #90
Megalomaniac

Moktar was a French comedy character, the game was based on a comedy song, but because it wouldn't travel internationally Titus changed the main character to their mascot fox, perhaps going for the 'patformer starring a cutesy animal' market. Plus the character was a spoof Middle Eastern character played by a white man, so there'd be cultural sensitivity issues there.

Agreed about Alien Breed '92 by the way, definitely better than the original. The game was only a year old, so it would have been quick for a normal budget release, let alone with a completely new level set and better gameplay. The budget Project X and (arguably) Assassin were both improvements too.
Old 13 November 2022, 20:41   #91
Weasel Fierce

Aha, thanks guys!
Old 13 November 2022, 21:13   #92
jotd
This cat is no more

Thanks for this thread. Loving it. Moktar is not exactly the same as Titus The Fox, it has one more (uninteresting) level. So if you play Titus The Fox (okay platformer playing a little like Blues Brothers), you played Moktar.

Quote:
because it wouldn't travel internationally
I'm french and it didn't travel to me. I hate Lagaf and his racist Moktar character. But the game is OK
Old 13 November 2022, 21:53   #93
Weasel Fierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
Thanks for this thread. Loving it. Moktar is not exactly the same as Titus The Fox, it has one more (uninteresting) level. So if you play Titus The Fox (okay platformer playing a little like Blues Brothers), you played Moktar.

I'm french and it didn't travel to me. I hate Lagaf and his racist Moktar character. But the game is OK
I appreciate the info. I'll just stick to Titus then (which I've never actually played).

And you are welcome I am glad a couple folks are finding it interesting.
Old 13 November 2022, 22:30   #94
jotd
This cat is no more

It's less stupid than trying to eat 40 raw eggs in 1 hour!
Old 13 November 2022, 22:40   #95
Weasel Fierce

Quote:
That is a useful point of comparison!
Old 14 November 2022, 16:30   #96
Weasel Fierce

Last nights haul:

Disposable Hero
A mixed bag: The graphics are beautiful, bosses are creative, sound is awesome, controls are very tight and responsive and the difficulty is absolutely brutal. The game even lulls you into a sense of security by giving you a health bar but that won't help you any 3/5.

Fears
I have a soft spot for this one, because it tries to do so much (on a couple of floppies) and it does have a certain atmosphere but if I am being honest, its a bit naff isnt it? The levels are boring and the enemies are terrible. It also never has the feeling of action that Gloom or Alien Breed 3D had. 2/5.

Hover Sprint
Im not a big fan of 3D racing games and this didn't really change my mind. Ive seen online that people say its slow but on my 030 it runs very smoothly. Unfortunately controls are not very good and I spent more time off the track than on it. I suspect with practice this game could be decent and the menus suggest theres a lot to it. 2/5.

Cardiaxx
One that feels like itd have a lot of promise. The problem is that your ship whips back and forth super fast which means you are constantly trying to stick waggle to avoid crashing into things. With another bit of polish and attention, this could have been a really tense action game. As it is, 2/5.

Skipped:
Disposable Hero CD32 version. Anything notably different about this one?
Fears CD32 version. Ditto.
Aliex. Appears to be a light gun game and I couldn't find a way to play with a mouse on real hardware. If anyone knows if its possible, let me know.

I should note that Fears is the first 2/5 game from this list that I keep installed because as I said, it has a certain weird atmosphere. But its definitely a case of liking it partially because its crap. I dont know. Im sure you all have a bad game you still like.

Second note: On a stock 500, Id probably have rated Hover Sprint a 1/5, but since I am rating the game as I am experiencing it now, it gets the coveted "eh, its a bit shit" award of a 2

Last edited by Weasel Fierce; 14 November 2022 at 16:38.
Old 14 November 2022, 16:50   #97
Aardvark

Quote:
Skipped:
Disposable Hero CD32 version. Anything notably different about this one?
CD music, improved sfx, and easier difficulty (not so bullet spongy enemies)
Old 14 November 2022, 17:53   #98
Weasel Fierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
CD music, improved sfx, and easier difficulty (not so bullet spongy enemies)
Interesting, the sound was already quite good but enemies taking tons of hits (and showing little feedback to show they are getting hit) is definitely a downer. May well be the CD32 is the definitive version then.
Old 14 November 2022, 20:48   #99
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Oddly specific. Just don't eat 40 eggs. Regardless of cooking method You'll overdose on omega 3 fats so you'd need to eat sources of omega 6 to counterbalance it.
Old 14 November 2022, 21:10   #100
Weasel Fierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Oddly specific. Just don't eat 40 eggs. Regardless of cooking method You'll overdose on omega 3 fats so you'd need to eat sources of omega 6 to counterbalance it.
Good thing you told me just as I was about to snack into egg number 39