English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 01 November 2018, 09:07   #1
treqie

Wireless, prism2 and neatgear ma401

I have been trying to get wifi to work on my 1200. I have a Netgear MA401 rev D, and I can't get it to work properly.
Been using 2.6 of prism2v2, and tested with MiamiDX and Genesis. I have a Cnet card as well, which works without a problem.

It connects to the wifi, Miami/Genesis connects and it seems to work. I can go to Aminet for instance, it fetches the site entirely. But whenever I try another site, a link on the already loaded site or something, it's like it just stops working.
And yesterday, after I installed Genesis to try it with, it worked for like 10 minutes until it just gave up. I can't figure out why it works just a little and sometimes a little bit more
The card has been flashed, but not by me, so I don't really know what version it has. On the router I use WPA2/AES and "legacy mode", so no N. Haven't tried TKIP+AES, if that even would make a difference, when Wirelessmanager is able to connect.
Faulty card? a wrong setting on the router? Some kind of buffert problem? since it works just for a short time and gives up.
Old 01 November 2018, 12:01   #2
Sir_Lucas

What is your setup? What turbo card? Caps changed? What system - ClassicWB or something else?

WPA2/AES is the best settings for your router and the card. You can also try B/G/N mode.
There might be a case of interference in your network as well. Can you strengthen/boost the signal in your router?

Can you connect with WirelessManager manually?
Can you try Roadshow TCP/IP stack - even the demo? It might be the TCP/IP stack as well - Miami is a bit flaky.

Last edited by Sir_Lucas; 01 November 2018 at 12:06.
Old 01 November 2018, 12:31   #3
treqie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Lucas View Post
What is your setup? What turbo card? Caps changed? What system - ClassicWB or something else?

WPA2/AES is the best settings for your router and the card. You can also try B/G/N mode.
There might be a case of interference in your network as well. Can you strengthen/boost the signal in your router?

Can you connect with WirelessManager manually?
Can you try Roadshow TCP/IP stack - even the demo? It might be the TCP/IP stack as well - Miami is a bit flaky.
Blizzard 1260, 64mb ram. No caps problem. Tried 3.9 a year ago, and then I recently installed 3.1.4.
Will check out signal strength, and also if changing the channel makes a difference.

I do start wirelessmanager manually, starting that at bootup feels like an unnecessary drain on cpu.
And I did download roadshow demo yesterday, haven't tried it yet. But isn't that based on amitcp also, like genesis? roadshow probably use a more recent version though.
Old 01 November 2018, 21:25   #4
Sir_Lucas

Quote:
Originally Posted by treqie View Post
Blizzard 1260, 64mb ram. No caps problem. Tried 3.9 a year ago, and then I recently installed 3.1.4.
Will check out signal strength, and also if changing the channel makes a difference.

I do start wirelessmanager manually, starting that at bootup feels like an unnecessary drain on cpu.
And I did download roadshow demo yesterday, haven't tried it yet. But isn't that based on amitcp also, like genesis? roadshow probably use a more recent version though.
This is what I do with Wirelessmanager too. I've got a script under my right mouse button. Does it associate with your router at once?
Just like here:

[ Show youtube player ]

Roadshow is something totally different AFAIR it's based on a BSD stack. Genesis is just a GUI for AmiTCP 4.0

It's worth checking all above mentioned. I've been using Netgear card with OS3.9 and OS3.1 with Roadshow and it feels much more faster than Miami.

Last edited by Sir_Lucas; 01 November 2018 at 21:31.
Old 02 November 2018, 11:42   #5
treqie

Ok, tested a bit yesterday. If I go online and don't do anything (using genesis), it seems to stay online. But when I start ibrowse and surf, it stops working quickly.
It does associate with the router at once now, at least last time I checked with wirelressmanager verbose. But the first times I used verbose, I noticed it was cycling through the SSIDs until mine was blacklisted (by wireless manager?). And once in a while it connected. Not sure if I changed some setting along the way.

And yeah roadshow was pretty different. I haven't toyed with it that much yet, but at first it got stuck during boot and loadwb when it took its time to connect. So I added the get ip fast-option, which solved that. After that, I got the same problem as genesis/miami.
It's so annoying. My thinking is.. if it can connect to the router I can assume the card is flashed correctly for WPA/2, unless there's a crappy version of the firmware. Besides that, I guess there's something on the router I have to go through
Old 02 November 2018, 18:12   #6
Sir_Lucas

Quote:
Ok, tested a bit yesterday. If I go online and don't do anything (using genesis), it seems to stay online. But when I start ibrowse and surf, it stops working quickly.
It does associate with the router at once now, at least last time I checked with wirelressmanager verbose. But the first times I used verbose, I noticed it was cycling through the SSIDs until mine was blacklisted (by wireless manager?). And once in a while it connected. Not sure if I changed some setting along the way.
So, that's good then. What if you don't use the VERBOSE option? Does it associate at once?
Quote:
And yeah roadshow was pretty different. I haven't toyed with it that much yet, but at first it got stuck during boot and loadwb when it took its time to connect. So I added the get ip fast-option, which solved that. After that, I got the same problem as genesis/miami.
Try using Roadshow just like WirelessManager, manually.
First run WirelessManager and then Roadshow:

Addnetinterface prism2

Quote:
It's so annoying. My thinking is.. if it can connect to the router I can assume the card is flashed correctly for WPA/2, unless there's a crappy version of the firmware. Besides that, I guess there's something on the router I have to go through
Oh, I can imagine that. If it associates with the router then the card is fine. It's got the correct firmware. Have you checked different channels as well and signal strength? It seems as if the signal gets lost all the way from your router to your card.

One more thing. Have you tried transferring data through FTP? Downloading to your Amiga - RAM: any files. Just to see what stable transfer rate you get.
Old 03 November 2018, 11:44   #7
treqie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Lucas View Post
So, that's good then. What if you don't use the VERBOSE option? Does it associate at once?

Try using Roadshow just like WirelessManager, manually.
First run WirelessManager and then Roadshow:

Addnetinterface prism2

Oh, I can imagine that. If it associates with the router then the card is fine. It's got the correct firmware. Have you checked different channels as well and signal strength? It seems as if the signal gets lost all the way from your router to your card.

One more thing. Have you tried transferring data through FTP? Downloading to your Amiga - RAM: any files. Just to see what stable transfer rate you get.
On the router side, I've tried different channels, changed mode from auto to legacy (ie b/g I assume) and changed encryption to AES+TKIP. Didn't make a difference, it seems.
And I've only used verbose a few times when checking for errors. And I first tried connecting automatically with roadshow, but now I do it manually to get some output from it.
The thing I forgot to mention is that when it stops working, the TCP/IP stack hangs as well. So I'm back to thinking it's something on the Amiga.

FTP, haven't tried that actually. Not that it'll be any different, but I'll check.
Old 03 November 2018, 18:36   #8
Sir_Lucas

Quote:
Originally Posted by treqie View Post
On the router side, I've tried different channels, changed mode from auto to legacy (ie b/g I assume) and changed encryption to AES+TKIP. Didn't make a difference, it seems.
And I've only used verbose a few times when checking for errors. And I first tried connecting automatically with roadshow, but now I do it manually to get some output from it.
The thing I forgot to mention is that when it stops working, the TCP/IP stack hangs as well. So I'm back to thinking it's something on the Amiga.

FTP, haven't tried that actually. Not that it'll be any different, but I'll check.
Quote:
Hmm, that's interesting. Maybe you really need just either software or hardware PCMCIA Gayle Fix.

Software would be:
Cardreset and CardPatch - you find them on Aminet.

http://aminet.net/package/util/boot/CardPatch
http://aminet.net/package/util/boot/CardReset

Unpack these archives and copy them to your SYS:C drawer. Next, add these two lines in your S-s.

C:CardPatch
run >NIL: C:CardReset TICKS 50

Hardware one would be this one:
https://retroready.one/collections/b...a-a1200-pcmcia
Old 04 November 2018, 15:22   #9
treqie

Yeah I use those, but that's just for reseting the card. afaik I could just reinsert the card and it would give the same results.

The wifi card is probably defect or broken, you shouldn't have these problems
Old 01 January 2019, 09:54   #10
ncafferkey

It does sound like the card is faulty, or maybe has been flashed with a firmware version other than the one recommended. If possible, you should try the card in an old PC laptop.