English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 16 July 2010, 15:47   #1581
thgill

Purchased another 1084s RGB cable (for a second machine) and getting ready to purchase one Amigamaniac's V3 s-video adapters.
Old 17 July 2010, 19:46   #1582
asm1

(BBC) Acorn A3000

This is not mine just a pic I found.

Amusingly Acorn had the A3000 name/numbering first. I always thought the Amiga A3000 was first, not so. The Acorn machine was released in May '89, the Commodore A3000 didn't come out until June 1990.

Of course I know that Commodore used the A prefix first but though this was interesting.

I also ordered a graphics card for my Risc PC

Bad of me writing this on an Amiga forum but still.... its relevant (ish)
Old 17 July 2010, 21:00   #1583
scarrabri

It will be beans all week for me ,and as im new on here Hi to everyone
Things i bought today
AMIGA-PC NETWORK TOOLKIT
AMIGA 1200 EASYNET WIRELESS PCMCIA CARD AND SOFTWARE !!
Amiga 1200 4GB Hard Drive ++ "2200 Games" ++ A1200
Member ID neilnomad ( Feedback score of 375) 100.0%
3.5" DESKTOP BLACK CDROM DRIVE IDE

Commodore Amiga A600 RGB Gold Scart Lead TV Cable 2M
and some kind of ide buffer interface thingy to join it all up lol,
best wishes Brian

Old 17 July 2010, 21:24   #1584
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Brian, and welcome to EAB!

Have fun with that little lot!

If you get stuck, remember that the EAB forums are here for you to ask any questions you might have.

Oh, and don't forget to open the windows if you'll be eating beans all week!
Old 18 July 2010, 17:34   #1585
kriz

Welcome to Eab !!

My last buy ; Clockport expander from DjBase
Old 18 July 2010, 21:26   #1586
Washac

Hi All

This weekend I purchased :

Dungeon Master - Chaos Strikes Back, two disks & manual, no box though : (
SSI AD&D Heroes Of The Lance
SSI AD&D Dragons Of Flame
Old 18 July 2010, 21:44   #1587
prowler
Global Moderator

Yesterday I collected this brand new Toshiba 19AV616DB 19-inch LCD HDTV with built in Freeview (White) to use as a display for my Amigas and consoles. Thanks to fitzsteve, who gave me the idea and helped me to select a suitable model.

£89.99 from eBay.

Product details

HD Ready : Yes
Get Digital : Digital tuner with all Freeview channels
Pixel Resolution : 1680 x 1050
Television Type : LCD

. Contrast Ratio : 20,000:1
. Crystal Design
. Wall Mountable
. SRS Trusurround HD & Dolby Digital Plus
.472 x 322 x 68 mm (W/H/D) Dimensions
HDMI Connection : 1
SRS Speaker System : Yes
Active Vision LCD : Yes
Screen Size : 19"

. Headphone Socket
Use as PC Monitor : Yes

I can confirm that it works fine with my Amigas using the same SCART lead which also works fine with my Commodore and Acorn monitors and my Sony Trinitron CRT TV!
Old 18 July 2010, 21:46   #1588
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Really pleased for you Peter and glad I could help

How are the interlaced modes, any flicker?
Old 18 July 2010, 21:50   #1589
prowler
Global Moderator

No flicker at all - even on Superhigh Res! That surprised me because it was a real problem on the Commodore monitors!

I was going to take some screenshots with my Digi camera to send to you, but the battery was flat.

It's fully charged now, so I'll get those shots tomorrow.
Old 18 July 2010, 22:03   #1590
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
No flicker at all - even on Superhigh Res! That surprised me because it was a real problem on the Commodore monitors!

I was going to take some screenshots with my Digi camera to send to you, but the battery was flat.

It's fully charged now, so I'll get those shots tomorrow.

Nice one mate, I thought you'd be ok with the Toshiba
Old 18 July 2010, 22:17   #1591
Wasagi

That was an absolute steal. I want a white monitor using a toshiba CRT TV at the moment and it flickers real good!
Old 18 July 2010, 22:31   #1592
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Wasagi,

This is where I got it on eBay:
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/London-tv-deals

and here is the sellers' website, which shows the full range of sets they are offering, but the prices here aren't as competitive as those on eBay.
http://www.cheap-television.com/

Actually, the set I purchased originally on eBay was a JVC 19-inch LCD HDTV, but their QA dept. discovered that it had a sound problem and they offered me the Toshiba instead. The Toshiba's eBay price was £119.99, but they let me have it for the same price as the JVC - £89.99!

Fitzsteve advised me to go for the Toshiba instead!
Old 18 July 2010, 22:57   #1593
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:

Fitzsteve advised me to go for the Toshiba instead!
I wish I got a free upgrade

Its all ok though, I've agreed on a trade with Megamix for his DCE Scan magic
Old 18 July 2010, 23:03   #1594
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
II've agreed on a trade with Megamix for his DCE Scan magic
Nice one, Steve! (I was keeping my fingers crossed for you )
Old 18 July 2010, 23:35   #1595
thgill

@prowler

Would love to see some pix of that Toshiba in action with various resolutions from the Amiga.

Also, any blurring from fast motion games like Superfrog?

I have talked to Steve about his JVC over @ Amibay and I am thinking of biting the bullet and just importing an LCD from the UK. That and a Scart lead.

Would love to hear your detailed impressions of this set.
Old 19 July 2010, 00:07   #1596
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thgill View Post
Would love to see some pix of that Toshiba in action with various resolutions from the Amiga.
Hi thgill,

I can upload screenshots of the Toshiba showing Workbench at High Res (best) and SuperHigh Res, so you can get an idea of the quality. I have no higher resolution or widescreen modes I can show, because it's a box-standard A1200 with '030 accelerator and 24MB RAM - just a workhorse machine.

In SuperHigh Res, the icon names look a little blocky with the standard font size, but otherwise it's fine with no flicker.

My A4000 is in bits, or I would be able to show something with a bit more eye candy via a CV64-3D card.

Quote:
Also, any blurring from fast motion games like Superfrog?
I'm not a keen gameplayer, so I can't comment on that, except to say that when displaying a HD TV picture, there is a slight pixellated appearance on moving edges which resembles edge enhancement. The effect becomes more pronounced with rapid motion. However, I wouldn't really call it blurring.

Quote:
I have talked to Steve about his JVC over @ Amibay and I am thinking of biting the bullet and just importing an LCD from the UK. That and a Scart lead.
You could cerainly do much worse. My impression is that Steve is just as delighted with his LCD TVs as I am with this one.

Quote:
Would love to hear your detailed impressions of this set.
I am well pleased with my purchase. The fast motion performance is not as bad as my critical assessment makes it sound. It really is barely detectable when viewed close-up. (I once worked in optical systems QA, where I developed the knack of spotting this kind of thing )
Old 19 July 2010, 04:08   #1597
thgill

Quote:
Hi thgill,

I can upload screenshots of the Toshiba showing Workbench at High Res (best) and SuperHigh Res, so you can get an idea of the quality. I have no higher resolution or widescreen modes I can show, because it's a box-standard A1200 with '030 accelerator and 24MB RAM - just a workhorse machine.

In SuperHigh Res, the icon names look a little blocky with the standard font size, but otherwise it's fine with no flicker.
Excellent. I would probably run Workbench in PAL High Res Laced 99% of the time. So, no flickering at all in laced?

Quote:
I'm not a keen gameplayer, so I can't comment on that, except to say that when displaying a HD TV picture, there is a slight pixellated appearance on moving edges which resembles edge enhancement. The effect becomes more pronounced with rapid motion. However, I wouldn't really call it blurring.

You could cerainly do much worse. My impression is that Steve is just as delighted with his LCD TVs as I am with this one.

I am well pleased with my purchase. The fast motion performance is not as bad as my critical assessment makes it sound. It really is barely detectable when viewed close-up. (I once worked in optical systems QA, where I developed the knack of spotting this kind of thing )
Sounds like an excellent set. Does the documentation mention anything about NTSC compatibility? I know a lot of the PAL sets are multisystem so I am curious how it handles NTSC stuff. Though most of the time it would be used with my PAL A1200.

I wouldn't suppose it handles 110v 60Hz AC would it? I did a quick google search for it and didn't see mention of the NTSC or AC power specs.
Old 19 July 2010, 18:29   #1598
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

@thgill

My new HD JVC has a built in PSU rated 220-240v so that would be no use to you but my older non HD JVC TV has an external PSU like a laptop and that is rated 100-240v, so I guess thats what you need to look out for.

Model of my non HD JVC is:

JVC LT-17E31BJG

It also handles NTSC as well, well at least via the Amiga it does.... And as you now is flicker free in interlaced modes.

Steve.

Last edited by fitzsteve; 09 February 2011 at 09:37.
Old 19 July 2010, 19:23   #1599
thgill

Thanks Steve!

So it sounds like at least some of the sets that use an external power brick might run either 110 or 220. If not, would probably be easy to source a psu for them here. Where as with the internal psu I would need to use a step-up adapter to use it over here.

I guess I just need to figure out if an Indy AGA 1200 or importing a scart equipped LCD is my best option.

My 1084S is over in the corner cowering in fear!
Old 19 July 2010, 22:54   #1600
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Excellent. I would probably run Workbench in PAL High Res Laced 99% of the time. So, no flickering at all in laced?
PAL High Res Laced is easily the best mode supported. It's absolutely flawless with no flickering whatsoever!

Quote:
Sounds like an excellent set. Does the documentation mention anything about NTSC compatibility? I know a lot of the PAL sets are multisystem so I am curious how it handles NTSC stuff. Though most of the time it would be used with my PAL A1200.
The documentation does not mention NTSC specifically but, as you say, PAL sets are generally multisystem and the PAL A1200 can generate NTSC display signals. I tried NTSC High Res Laced, just to see if it would work, and the set handled it correctly. However, there was some slight flickering of the display, but that may have been because the overscan badly needed adjusting.

If you would like me to, I can try this again tomorrow and see if correcting the overscan eliminates the flickering. I didn't try it today because I didn't want to fiddle with the settings unnecessarily

Quote:
I wouldn't suppose it handles 110v 60Hz AC would it? I did a quick google search for it and didn't see mention of the NTSC or AC power specs.
The set I have accepts an AC power input of 220-240V, 50-60Hz only.

I will put up some screenshots when I have uploaded them to ImageShack. BRB.

Last edited by prowler; 20 July 2010 at 21:40. Reason: My brain is working properly now! :)