English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene > Member Introductions

Old 24 January 2022, 22:49   #1
aNdy/AL/COS

Thumbs up Welsh Greetings!

I had a bit of a false start a few years ago on this forum! My youngest had moved out, I dragged out my A1200 got it working then... she moved back in and the A1200 got put away! HOWEVER! She's moved out again and I'm now converting my spare bedroom into a little dev studio for my C64 shenanigans (I'm a member of C64 groups Cosine and Arkanix Labs) and soon to be joined by my Amiga!

My A1200 still works! I managed to image the original HD in WinUAE and have been sorting through some code, GFX and music. See some screen grabs below of stuff I've been trying to rescue.

My A1200 is now being upgraded in the next week with an 8Gb CF HD containing OS3.2. It has an Apollo 1230 card with 16mb and an Indivision AGA MK2. Old hardware being connected includes a CD-ROM drive via a Squirrel interface and an external Cumana DD. Plus my sampler and a few other bits and pieces.

I'm looking to get back into creating new stuff soon, starting with music! Hope to join in the fun on this forum; I have so much to relearn...

Some things I've partially rescued from my old HD and am trying to get working...

AmiRhythm - a simple drum machine I coded in BB2. Buggy as hell!

Spheroid - a simple puzzle game that is refusing to compile at present...

Last edited by aNdy/AL/COS; 24 January 2022 at 22:50. Reason: extra info
Old 25 January 2022, 12:16   #2
WayneK

Welcome, I'm familiar with some of your stuff on C64 If you're half as productive on Amiga, that's a good thing!
Old 25 January 2022, 13:58   #3
S0ulA55a551n

Quote:
Originally Posted by aNdy/AL/COS View Post
I had a bit of a false start a few years ago on this forum! My youngest had moved out, I dragged out my A1200 got it working then... she moved back in and the A1200 got put away! HOWEVER! She's moved out again and I'm now converting my spare bedroom into a little dev studio for my C64 shenanigans (I'm a member of C64 groups Cosine and Arkanix Labs) and soon to be joined by my Amiga!

My A1200 still works! I managed to image the original HD in WinUAE and have been sorting through some code, GFX and music. See some screen grabs below of stuff I've been trying to rescue.

My A1200 is now being upgraded in the next week with an 8Gb CF HD containing OS3.2. It has an Apollo 1230 card with 16mb and an Indivision AGA MK2. Old hardware being connected includes a CD-ROM drive via a Squirrel interface and an external Cumana DD. Plus my sampler and a few other bits and pieces.

I'm looking to get back into creating new stuff soon, starting with music! Hope to join in the fun on this forum; I have so much to relearn...

Some things I've partially rescued from my old HD and am trying to get working...

AmiRhythm - a simple drum machine I coded in BB2. Buggy as hell!

Spheroid - a simple puzzle game that is refusing to compile at present...

Shwmae a croeso
Old 25 January 2022, 15:38   #4
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

So what is a Welsh greeting?
Old 25 January 2022, 16:27   #5
S0ulA55a551n

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
So what is a Welsh greeting?
See below.

"Shwmae" is a common greeting in south wales. Kind of like hello. how are you

or "sut wyt ti" , how are you

"Croeso" means welcome
Old 25 January 2022, 20:32   #6
redblade
Zone Friend

Hi Welcome to the board.

I can assume you also coded your games in BB2?

The graphics you good.

I see you have Gadtools under control by the look of the user interface of your drum machine program?
Old 26 January 2022, 21:00   #7
aNdy/AL/COS

Thanks for the welcomes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblade View Post
Hi Welcome to the board.
I can assume you also coded your games in BB2?
The graphics you good.I see you have Gadtools under control by the look of the user interface of your drum machine program?
The game was was coded in the original version of AMOS, then moved over to the Pro version to be compiled using the AMOS Pro compiler. I can't get the game running at the moment because I seemed to be in the middle of refactoring. Moral of the story, don't refactor code, stop halfway then wait 26 odd years to pick it up again...

Thanks for the compliment about the graphics. All created by hand in Deluxe Paint 3.

BB2 was awesome for creating GUI's! The drum machine runs, but V1.0 in the title bar is a bit optimistic! It saves incorrectly; files must be hex edited before you are able to load. Plus it crashes fairly regularly. Hoping to do a proper version one soon.

Last edited by aNdy/AL/COS; 26 January 2022 at 21:01. Reason: corrected odd formatting
Old 26 January 2022, 21:48   #8
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

Greetings also from Wales. Hopefully you can get you stuff recompiled. And hopefully you can get some new stuff done. Took me a long time to finally get round to releasing anything.

But there is definitely plenty of help and support on this board.
Old 26 January 2022, 22:07   #9
aNdy/AL/COS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coagulus View Post
Greetings also from Wales. Hopefully you can get you stuff recompiled. And hopefully you can get some new stuff done. Took me a long time to finally get round to releasing anything.

But there is definitely plenty of help and support on this board.
Hi! Been working my way around the board and all seems helpful and friendly! Will definitely count on that!

I'm very active in the C64 scene (I code 6502, pixel graphics and compose SID's) and am looking to do new stuff on the Amiga. Still debating whether to relearn BB2 or go straight for 68K Asm....
Old 27 January 2022, 16:46   #10
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ulA55a551n View Post
See below.

"Shwmae" is a common greeting in south wales. Kind of like hello. how are you
Wow, I can't even guesstimate how that sounds spoken out loud.
Old 27 January 2022, 17:52   #11
aNdy/AL/COS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Wow, I can't even guesstimate how that sounds spoken out loud.
(Very) Roughly, it would be 'Shuh my'. Sort of...
Old 28 January 2022, 03:03   #12
klx300r

Thumbs up

@ aNdy/AL/COS

Welcome back to Amiga land
Old 28 January 2022, 11:01   #13
aNdy/AL/COS

Quote:
Originally Posted by klx300r View Post
@ aNdy/AL/COS
Welcome back to Amiga land
Thanks!
Old 28 January 2022, 20:55   #14
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Welcome to Erotic Amiga Board or short EAB

That is nice migga you got there, and with CF card will be great.
Old 28 January 2022, 21:03   #15
aNdy/AL/COS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Welcome to Erotic Amiga Board or short EAB
That is nice migga you got there, and with CF card will be great.
Thanks for the welcome!

The A1200 should run sweetly. Only issue I'm going to have is the CD-ROM via the Squirrel SCSI interface. I can't find my install/driver disk; hopefully I can find an adf online. I know I don't strictly need the CD-ROM, but I'd like to get it working for the sake of nostalgia and just because!
Old 28 January 2022, 21:23   #16
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Many of us moved to some form of emulation (hardware of software). For example MiSTer FPGA minimig is my current Amiga with profiles for A500, A500+, A1200 and 2 HD profiles currently with OS2.05 and OS3.2. I also tried PiMiga, but not fun of pre-made load of software and games. I like to setup wb my way. I used a lot ClassicWB as main OS distribution.

My amiga is with most of consoles and C64 boxed and in storage.
Old 28 January 2022, 22:04   #17
aNdy/AL/COS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Many of us moved to some form of emulation (hardware of software).
My A1200 is now 'old' and I certainly don't want to flog it to death! It will be set up in my little dev room for nostalgia and real hardware testing.

With all my C64 dev stuff, it's done mainly via emulation on my dev laptop before transferring over to test on my old Breadbin and C64c.

I intend doing the same with any new Amiga stuff I try. I will image the actual Amiga CF HD and use within WinUAE before transferring any results to real hardware for testing.

That's the plan at least...
Old 03 February 2022, 16:21   #18
RWE

Did you have any problems imaging your origunal HD? I am scared of even connecting my precious, ancient HD to a PC
Old 03 February 2022, 21:07   #19
aNdy/AL/COS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWE View Post
Did you have any problems imaging your origunal HD? I am scared of even connecting my precious, ancient HD to a PC
Mine was a 3.5" 1Gb Samsung drive I installed around '93/94ish.

It didn't want to boot in the Amiga, it kept beeping and trying to spin up before going silent after 3 attempts. I had experienced this about 3/4 years ago, but it did finally managed to spin up after a few resets back then.

When I removed it from my A1200 recently, I didn't put it in a PC. I have a dock that can have 3.5" drives plugged into it, with the dock plugging in via USB. I didn't plug the dock in initially. I just kept powering on/off the dock until the drive finally spun up. When it did, I plugged the dock in via USB, mounted the drive in WinUAE and imaged it straight away.

The drive is now wrapped in an anti-static bag and safely put away. I can't imagine I'll ever actually ever power it up again since I have the image and all my files safe.

Bless WinUAE for making the process easy!
Old 04 February 2022, 09:42   #20
chip

Welcome to the forum !