stx2199

Lollypop , 256 colors and music+sfx at the same time
Gobliins 3, more colors, better music
Kyrandia, 256 colors, better music etc
Old 16 March 2024, 18:11   #22
stx2199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calabazam View Post
Dune from Cryo - better with 256 colors, with various Adlib or Adlib Gold or even MT32 musics.
The amiga music in Dune is better that all that PC options

just like it happens with Simon the sorcerer 1
Old 16 March 2024, 18:19   #23
wiz12

Theme Park, can run slow on the Amiga.
Old 16 March 2024, 19:12   #24
Megalomaniac

The A500 version of Theme Park is a buggy, unplayably slow mess, reviews obsessed about there being less rides and seemingly failed to notice that the game can't even handle you inputting your name without missing half the letters, let alone actually building a rollercoaster. Not sure how much better it is on the A1200, but he minimum spec for the PC was a 386DX-40, so equivalent of an 50Mhz 030, or an 040.

Are the extra levels in Another World any good, or do they add anything to the plot and cinematics of the game? Always found that to be a bit style-over-substance personally.
Old 16 March 2024, 19:17   #25
Calabazam

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx2199 View Post
The amiga music in Dune is better that all that PC options

just like it happens with Simon the sorcerer 1

I don’t know about Simon but your comment about Dune is typical of some hardcore Amiga users. You can’t be more wrong about this.
Music is nice on the Amiga but there are only three, intro called worm sign, Ecolove which is Amiga exclusive and the Fremen music. Pc has at least 9 and Stephane Picq programmed the Adlib to the max, way beyond the usual Adlib music, with a lot of awesome compositions made for the Pc. It is even better in Adlib Gold version, one of the very few game compatible with that card. There is also MT32 version, a bit different but also very nice.
The Amiga really can’t match the PC version of Dune in any way.
Not a problem for me because thanks to bridgeboard Dune MDDOS does play on my Amiga.

Last edited by Calabazam; 16 March 2024 at 19:52.
Old 16 March 2024, 22:01   #26
stx2199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
The A500 version of Theme Park is a buggy, unplayably slow mess, reviews obsessed about there being less rides and seemingly failed to notice that the game can't even handle you inputting your name without missing half the letters, let alone actually building a rollercoaster. Not sure how much better it is on the A1200, but he minimum spec for the PC was a 386DX-40, so equivalent of an 50Mhz 030, or an 040.

Are the extra levels in Another World any good, or do they add anything to the plot and cinematics of the game? Always found that to be a bit style-over-substance personally.
the extra levels of Another world don't add nothing ,are there just to fill a space because in the era the original Amiga game was criticized for being too short

anyways those extra levels can be played now on the Amiga using whdload and a hack which add them
Old 16 March 2024, 22:11   #27
stx2199

Quote:
I don’t know about Simon but your comment about Dune is typical of some hardcore Amiga users. You can’t be more wrong about this.
Music is nice on the Amiga but there are only three, intro called worm sign, Ecolove which is Amiga exclusive and the Fremen music. Pc has at least 9 and Stephane Picq programmed the Adlib to the max, way beyond the usual Adlib music, with a lot of awesome compositions made for the Pc. It is even better in Adlib Gold version, one of the very few game compatible with that card. There is also MT32 version, a bit different but also very nice.
The Amiga really can’t match the PC version of Dune in any way.
Not a problem for me because thanks to bridgeboard Dune MDDOS does play on my Amiga.

Technically u are right the game in PC is superior to the Amiga version, it works in 256 colors , more tunes etc
I just said that the music in the Amiga is better , at least is more nostalgic and pleasant for me
so in my point of view does not worth a reply in PC because in this case the Amiga game is enough good in all
Old 16 March 2024, 22:25   #28
CCCP alert

SSF2 TURBO, MK1 or 2
Old 17 March 2024, 08:41   #29
kremiso

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx2199 View Post
Lollypop , 256 colors and music+sfx at the same time
just to add that sadly there is a severe bug in the penultimate ice level on pc;
there is a difficult part where you need to jump from a melting ice platform to reach an higher one, now it is very easy to miss that jump the first time (due also the slippery)
and on pc, if you die there, the platform disappear and doesnt respawn at all, leave you stuck there, whatever amount of lives you have collected so far

you must restart the entire game

i have completed the game, but you need to perform that jump at the first try

Last edited by kremiso; 17 March 2024 at 11:00.
Old 19 March 2024, 09:21   #30
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCP alert View Post
SSF2 TURBO, MK1 or 2
It depends on what you play them... If you use a modern PC it is just better to play these games on arcade emulation anyway (that worth for pretty much every arcade conversion on the Amiga/DOS of that time )
Old 19 March 2024, 10:05   #31
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
I played it on the CD32 without any issues, i don’t recall being frustrated because it was slow. Maybe people are looking back and comparing Amiga games to full cycle dosbox videos and saying it’s really slow in comparison, when it was perfectly fine for the time.
Old 19 March 2024, 10:43   #32
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
I played it on the CD32 without any issues, i don’t recall being frustrated because it was slow. Maybe people are looking back and comparing Amiga games to full cycle dosbox videos and saying it’s really slow in comparison, when it was perfectly fine for the time.
Yep. You rarely have this kind of video when looking for an old PC Dos game on YT :
[ Show youtube player ]

MK was notoriously unplayable on the PC VS the less polished but much better Amiga version.
Now with the emulation magic on beefed up modern PC, people thinks that the PC version of MK or many other games, especially arcade ones were perfectly smooth and playable That wasn't the case for most early 90 PC users.
Old 19 March 2024, 12:55   #33
dreadnought

Le sigh...not this old MK chestnut again...

The fact that some games ran slower on low config PCs (especially demanding near-prefect arcade ports) doesn't mean that some didn't ran much faster than on Amiga - especially A500 which Megalomaniac was talking about.
Old 19 March 2024, 13:34   #34
VladR

I've played a lot of MK1 on 386DX40 and I was already super sensitive to the framedrops and low framerate back then.
This was not the game that was unplayable. I certainly don't recall any performance issues with it, unlike plenty other game of the era (e.g. Doom)
Wasn't 386DX40 the min.req anyway ?
Old 19 March 2024, 13:43   #35
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

386DX33
Old 19 March 2024, 13:55   #36
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
Yep. You rarely have this kind of video when looking for an old PC Dos game on YT :
Yep, I find more these kind of videos: [ Show youtube player ]
Of course I know that nobody had a 486 to play the game on when it was released because they were so much more expensive than an A500
Old 19 March 2024, 14:09   #37
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
Le sigh...not this old MK chestnut again...

The fact that some games ran slower on low config PCs (especially demanding near-prefect arcade ports) doesn't mean that some didn't ran much faster than on Amiga - especially A500 which Megalomaniac was talking about.
MK 1 is quoted some post above in answer to Megalomaniac.

VladR, well the review in french magazine Joystick states that the game needs a fast PC (at least a 486) to be smooth. Same comment in Génération 4 and Tilt Magasine. I'll say that for this type of game, jerkyness could be an instant killer but maybe it wasn't really annoying for this version.
But I'm not the only one that have mixed memories in that case !

Last edited by sokolovic; 19 March 2024 at 15:31.
Old 19 March 2024, 16:35   #38
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
MK 1 is quoted some post above in answer to Megalomaniac.
Where? All I can see is ImmortalA1000's, sorry, CCCP's post which seems to reply to the OP.

In any case both the things I mentioned earlier can be true at the same time.
Old 19 March 2024, 19:21   #39
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Music is nice on the Amiga but there are only three, intro called worm sign, Ecolove which is Amiga exclusive and the Fremen music. Pc has at least 9 and Stephane Picq programmed the Adlib to the max, way beyond the usual Adlib music, with a lot of awesome compositions made for the Pc.
I wanted to fix this and am still looking for someone to code the missing songs on Dune: when i will have it will start to port those in mod format - i also proposed my talent for the AGA remake but they chosen someone else
Old 19 March 2024, 22:10   #40
Megalomaniac

My comments on A500 Theme Park were entirely based on my own disappointment with it. Haven't played PC Mortal Kombat myself - as mentioned, MAME is the best way now. Both PC Theme Park and PC MK had much the same minimum processor, but Theme Park needed more memory - but you'd definitely expect a 386DX to outdo an A500 (or even an A1200) for a strategy game, but be well behind it for a beat 'em up, even non-AGA.